Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should I move to Emden to do a masters programme

7 posts in this topic

Hi There

I am a new member and this is my first post to this forum..actually i couldnt believe my eyes to find English-Speaking forums in Germany, it represents paradise to me!!

I am a female mechanical engineer originally from Cairo, Egypt and lately i recieved acceptance from the Univ. of Aplied Sciences in one of their Masters Programme (Int'l) and i should be in Emden on 1st March '09, I have been searching since i received the acceptance email for student jobs and what is the lifestyle in Emden, Germany, to be honest i wasnot very lucky and i became a bit disappointed from what i have found, knowing that i will be financing my studies totally by myself as i havent applied for any scholarship yet.

it seems as long as your German Language is not good enough you will not be really able to survive or to find a part-time job.

I became more confused as now i have another offer from a Swedish university in Stockholm, and i am seriously thinking about heading to Sweden as most of the nation speaks perfect English and some companies / individulas hire students who dont speak swedish, or very little swedish as long as he/she is fluent in English.

I would appreciate if anyone who lived in both countries can give me a piece of advice and if anyone here lives in Emden can give me a glimbse of the city and is it really that hard to find a job there?!

Thanks and good Luck for All

If I were you I would go to Stockholm, no doubt about it. I may be biased because I love Stockholm and have never even been to Emden (I had to look it up on the map just now), but since you don't speak any German my answer would be the same even if your potential German destination was Munich, Berlin or any other city. Whatever your decision, I wish you best of luck!

Some more additonal ways you can analyse your decision could be:

A. Yes Sweden is likely to offer better job opportunities without Swedish as the smaller size of the Swedish internal market means most companies are likely to see English as being important to their international sales. Whilst Germany is the world´s no. 1 exporter the internal market is still so important that most firm would expect you to have German. Having said that German is very open to English (and many on TT will tell you it is not impossible to find Jobs without German) but still, I would expect, Sweden to be even more easier.

B. Should you come to Germany - you will have a chance to learn German that may stand you in good sted later on in your career. If you go to Sweden the chances of your learning Sweden will be lower so I would see that as an advantage for Germany.

C. My wife (she is German) has just said that Emden is very small and not so likely to be interesting to a foreigner!!! She was like Emden...uhhhhh it is "forz klein".

Good luck with your decision...Stockholm is an interesting and beautiful city.

Emden is a small coastal town in the North-West close to the Dutch border.

I would say its rather out of the way. Depends what your interests are. I'd be rather sceptical about going to Emden...

Kay, Stanford and HEM...Thanks a lot

It seems from your replies and other collective responses i got from people lived in both countries that Stockholm is a better place in terms of jobs, weather and people's acceptance to foreigners.

I think i will head to Stockholm as it is a larger city.

Thanks all for your help

Of course, Emden cannot compare to Stockholm, a border town to a capital, but since you seem to be paying for your studies yourself, did you think about the cost of living in Stockholm, especially accommodation?

The people of the Emden area, the East Frisians, have the reputation of being very laid back, however at the same time not very outgoing. Their Dutch neighbors, the West Frisians, are also known as being a very hospitable people.

People from Stockholm on the other hand are regarded by the rest of the Swedes as rather snobbish and stiff (read the Martin Beck crime novels by the Swedish writers Sjöwall and Wahlöö).