Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on moving to Panzer Kaserne, Böblingen

12 posts in this topic

I should be reporting to Panzer on or about 10 Feb 09 for a 2 year assignment. I have noticed posts on the forum concerning barracks such as Kelly and Patch but, have not seen any pertaining to Panzer.

It will be my wife and I no children. Most likely will be looking to the south south east from Panzer for a place to live. My last PCS to Germany was 76-79 in Kitzingen so it has been some time. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit. I'm currently on deployment in Iraq and will be returning home 5 January. My wife of course is haveing to get everything ready for our move. I'll have about three weeks at home before we have to depart. Probably will not bring any furniture or car will purchase on our arrival.

Any advice or sharing your experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Richard & Leigh

Are you military or civilian? how much you can afford to pay for rent. there some villages around Panzern, don't remember exactly the names of them. I know Sindelfingen near to Panzern, so take a look at www.immobilenscout.de and search for Wohnung(apartments) or Haus (house) in Miete(for rent)

anyway, there is housing office in Panzern, when you arrive here,make appointment with them right the way, may be they can help you.

Panzern is not that far from Patch Barracks, like 10-15 min to drive. so Vaihingen would be OK place to live too

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I am active duty on a two year assignment. We would like to find a small village to the south south east of Boeblingen. Really don't want to live in the city no more than 20-30 minutes from Panzer. I looked at Sindelfinger and it looked as if it may be in the flight path of the airport.

We should be able to afford $1200-1800 per month. Thank you again and if you think of anything else please let me know.

The closer to the base, the higher the rent. I live 30 mins from Patch (20 mins from Panzer)and pay 1500 Euro for a 6 bed new house. Closer to the bases it would cost double that. Most Landlords will know what your pay grade is and adjust the rent to the exact amount of your OHA. Because of AFRICOM, affordable housing is apparently hard to find, especially if you want to live close to the bases. the housing office have lists and check those out before you accept their 'recommendations' of realtors.

For furniture, there is an Ikea in Sindelfingen and there are various noticeboards dotted around the base with people offering their wares. also the Stars and Stripes has ads for cars and furniture,. There is an AAFES furniture store on Robinson Barracks but it is crap and doesn't offer much.

Sindelfingen isn't really near the airport. (Although I do love going there to shop at Ikea.) A trip to Panzer from the airport -- Leinfelden, Echterdingen, Filderstadt -- is a good 20-30 minute drive, but the rent is a bit more reasonable in that direction. That being said, Nicole is correct -- you will pay the upper limit of your OHA as the landlords here seem to somehow know exactly what you're able to afford.

In general, be careful with how much you use for power, water, heat etc., unless you live in a place where your utilities are completely included in your rent. Utilities are expensive and you will only get so much per month allocated to them. (It won't be enough.)

Because of the AFRICOM situation you may not get concurrent travel (we didn't at first and fought for it). It is not unusual to be in the hotel for three months around here...even now this Fall (the summer was much worse). It is still hard to find housing and I know someone on the housing list for on-post housing who is #1 on the list (he is a CPT) and it was projected he has a one year wait...being #1!! On post housing is also all lumped together...Panzer, Patch, Kelley and Robinson...they offer you up whatever comes next...at any of those locations..according to your rank and family size and kids' ages (this will determine your bedroom #), and I think you have three refusals and then go to the bottom of the list again to start all over. I think once they finish up the renovations at Kelley and Robinson...in the Spring?...it will ease up a bit...but only temporarily...there just isn't enough on post housing for everyone who will be assigned here (AFRICOM isn't even at full strength yet).

And, yes, you will go thru housing even if you go off post. If they can't find you anything, they will pay a realtor (typically two months rent amount) to help you find something...you do need special paperwork for this, so don't go out on your own and hire one. Check the OHA calculator to see what you'll get http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/ohaform.html

Have your wife connect w/the ladies in the overseas forum at armywives.com and also read my blog below, as I moved here last summer and write about my experiences and such...lifelessonsmilitarywife.blogspot.com

Good luck and God Bless!

Hello, I am German and I live in Weil im Schoenbuch which is about 10 minutes to drive from the Panzerkaserne. I would recommend two real estate / rental agencies: Traudl Gaißert, phone 07157-61273 in Weil im Schoenbuch. She often helps American families find homes in the Stuttgart area. On her website, you'll find directions to her office in the English language! http://www.ibg-gaissert.de/update/ Also try Bärbel Bahr Immobilien, phone 07034-64640 in Ehningen, http://www.baerbel-bahr.de/. They are a large firm and experienced in helping to find the right home. I wish you success in finding a home for you! If you need any help with learning German, or getting around in Germany, let me know. Warmest greetings, Sabine

I certainly would NOT recommend the Gaissert agency. We used her when we first arrived here, and she was quoting up to 300 Euros more than the rental price advertised for the same properties at the Panzer Housing office. Our Landlord used her with her previous tenants and she was more than happy to be shot of her. If you delve into some of these threads, others will tell the same story.

Hello again,

thanks for the Info, Nicole. I am sorry but I didn't know that the Gaissert office is so expensive! We used her when we moved here and she was very friendly and sufficient in finding us what we needed. Maybe they charge foreigners differently from Germans? I don't know.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the villages in the Schoenbuch area are very nice to live in, be it Schoenaich, Weil im Schoenbuch or Waldenbuch, and also the town of Holzgerlingen. Plus, they are all not very far away from the Panzer Kaserne.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the information it will be very helpful when we make our move. But, don't stop any and all information is helpful.

Zef, Fr. Gaissert most definitely charges Americans more than Germans. She quoted us three times the first months rent as her Immobilien fee (4500 Euros in our case), plus she raises the rent to the limit of what the military pay for rental and she charges the Landlord 5% of the rent per month as her fee. One of her first questions is "what grade'rank are you?" then she charges accordingly. When the current tenant in our house left, she advertised the house, even though our Landlord instructed her not to. It was also listed at the housing office by our landlord and we applied through them. When Gaissert found out, she tried to charge us her Immo fees and phoned us and our Landlord numerous times to demand money.

She's aware that there is a market for an English speaking Immobilien and takes advantage of that, she knows that most Germans would definitely not stand for her fees or outrageous rent prices.

I've recently renovated my apartment, next to Panzer Baracks in Böblingen Tannenberg.
Bathroom, toilet, kitchen/built in kitchen, waterpipes an electrics, marble tiles, doors and entrance door (WK3) have been completely renewed.

The apartment is approved and listed by the housing office (# 972628), just in case anyone is currently moving to Panzer Kaserne...

My apartment is offered without real estate agents (you don't have to pay "immobilien fees" / "Maklergebühren" on top).