Addictions and destiny

89 posts in this topic

Just one other way of dealing with modern life?

Maybe people are more self-obsessed than they were in the past.

DD Bug, you're not wrong. Disordered eating, from the more usual staving, purging, bingeing towards the excessive exerciser or the more fashionable orthorexia, is indeed about having some kind of order about something in a life which is disordered.

So it is as good a time as any to plug one of my favourite charities again: ANAD Pathways

If you have food-related issues, they really are the experts.

(I gave up smoking over three years ago) I am now going over my habits and wondering what my replacement addiction might be.

Toytown would fit the bill.

Sadly, you just can't aways take your ball home with you if you don't like who is on the team.

Huh? Maybe I need more coffee.

But do you really need more coffee?

Probably not, but I definately need a break from the computer.

The only question there is if it's destructive.

I have no idea if you are trying to control others through your TT input. Tis a question you have to ask yourself.*

* unless you are a looser then I would suggest humming a little tune to youreself and hoping the question goes away.

I am totally addicted to coffeine. If I forget to drink coffee in the morning, I end up with the most horrible head-aches. Does that happen to anyone else here?

No, because I would NEVER "forget" to drink coffee. That fact that you do implies to me that you are not truly addicted. ;)

I have gone off coffee a few times in my life. Withdrawal is tough, but not impossible. Takes about 2 weeks, headaches galore. The great thing is that when you start up again, you don't need nearly as much caffeine to get you going in the morning. I could talk about the receptors involved, but I won't show off and bore the pants off of everyone. :P

No, because I would NEVER "forget" to drink coffee. That fact that you do implies to me that you are not truly addicted.

It only happens very very rarely, but by the time I get these head-aches I also feel sick and drinking coffee makes me nauseous. Very strange - I know.

I could talk about the receptors involved, but I won't show off and bore the pants off of everyone.

Feel free to enlighten us, but don't forget to post your qualifications.*

*Since we are in the land of pointless certificates, perhaps pdfs of academic qualifications could be attached to the poster's signature to confirm the verity of their statements?

the simple answer:

If you physically/ emotionally abuse others when you are drunk/ high, it's destructive abuse.

For instance: A pothead hits his/her pipe a hour before a long-planned outing or family function and can't be bothered to get ready, thus ruining his/her partner's day. The pothead doesn't abuse the partner on purpose but it's still abuse.

I'll be gone for hours now. It might be interesting to think about.

I'm addicted to imagining what llees might be doing when she's not online.

He equates alcoholism with putting rubber bands round your wrist...?!

That was my example for addictive or compulsive behavior.

SiM wins a prize for reading my mind. Then again, the shrink said I have to reach out and not put up a brick wall around myself. Seeing as I'm not going back due to mental incompatability I suppose I should disregard that bit of advice as well.

"Feel free to enlighten us, but don't forget to post your qualifications.*"

nearly 20 years of biotech, Univ and HHMI research, fields of molecular biology and biochemistry. One lab was a receptor lab. Now I'm just a mom and English teacher, so my brain has gone to mush. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I am really just an annoying smart ass. :)

"Feel free to enlighten us, but don't forget to post your qualifications.*"

nearly 20 years of biotech, Univ and HHMI research, fields of molecular biology and biochemistry. One lab was a receptor lab.

Oh, so you were a technician then. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

*Since we are in the land of pointless certificates, perhaps pdfs of academic qualifications could be attached to the poster's signature to confirm the verity of their statements?

Na, that would mess up the fun of those that post with multiple user names.

I come here to TT purely for entertainment. You guys can Google for any answer you want. Plenty of scientific publications out there, including several of mine. :)