Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help identify these spiders in our apartment

26 posts in this topic

We've got these weird spiders in our apartment. They have large bodies and short legs (unlike the spiders I usually encounter at home). Also, they make a popping sound when you squish them. I doubt they're bad, just wondering what kind they are. Any ideas?

Thanks.

(And feel free to merge with another spider identification topic if there is one.)

post-16-1224751077.jpg

these are the "lesser giraffe spiders" and as far as i was aware are protected...how many have you killed!?

Spiders aren't insects but I don't happen to like their webbings everywhere, and besides the two I killed yesterday were in my roommate's room. She had already taken apart her whole bed, I don't think she would have gone to bed at all if I hadn't helped her out.

Just because they are not poisonous doesn't mean I like them.

And thanks Dostoyevsky, I usually only encounter the ones with really long legs (and a small body), but glad to know it's just your average spider.

Actually they are poisonous, but I'm being pedantic of course.

I never kill spiders. They are my friends. They kill and eat the truly annoying fuckers like flies and mosquitoes. Spiders are my buddies in arms.

I usually catch them with a glass and put something over the opening and then put them outside at my parents' house, but I am not taking the elevator down 12 floors just to do that, and sitting them on the balcony or window sill will maybe keep them outside for half an hour.

I mean poisonous in a harmful way (to humans).

I mean poisonous in a harmful way (to humans).

- We know. That's why I said "pedantic".

4 dictionary results for: pedantic Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This pe·dan·tic thinsp.png var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "18", "speaker.gif /pəˈdænthinsp.pngtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-dan-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.ostentatious in one's learning. 2.overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

Awesome - I got to be pedantic about usage of the word pedantic. If a meteor strikes me on the way home, I can die a happy man.

Ok...I know this is an old topic...but I am finding a large number of these in my apartment...specifically in my bath towels and shower curtain (havent seen them outside of the bathroom...thank God), is there something I can do to prevent them from scaring the living daylight out of me everyday??

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Also, they make a popping sound when you squish them.

:huh: Your post sounded so benign until you wrote that!

I am not taking the elevator down 12 floors just to do that, and sitting them on the balcony or window sill will maybe keep them outside for half an hour.

Can't you just throw them out of the window? That's what I do.

The dryer the air the more uncomfortable the spiders feel. That´s why they are usually in dark humid cellars and JUST in your bathroom.

Open the window reguarly, esp. after showering/bathing.

they keep the other pest in check... like mosquitos, flies, etc.

there are no poisonous or biting spiders in Germany, so chill... take it from a guy who suffers arachnophobia

The Yellow Sac Spider Cheiracanthium punctorium can be found in southern Germany. It can bite humans (painful, not dangerous).

I wrote my post almost a year ago, but anyway, thanks for the continued advice.

The bathroom window is how they get into our apartment in the first place (we always leave it open as that is the only way we get fresh air in there and the humidity out). There are spiderwebs right outside the window of both bathrooms. At one point we had 6 spiders in the bathroom (of maybe 2m²). Then I got the vacuum cleaner. The spider problem has gotten a lot worse ever since it got warm in the spring, but I hope in the winter we will not have as many anymore.

I suppose I could throw them out the window, but would a spider survive a fall from the 12th floor? If not, I might as well kill them another way. Anyway, now that I know that they're not poisonous to humans, I ignore them unless they are somewhere close to my bed or there are too many of them in the bathroom.

I´m surprised that you have spiders in the 12th floor.

In winters they die or hide in cellars. So no spider will enter your bathroom through the window.