Sarcasm on TT

58 posts in this topic

Even the most legitimate questions are often replied with a facetious remark.

It's just something I have observed, people are always demeaning to topic starters. No such thing as a stupid question!

Amanda, are you a teacher? We are a perfect example of the teacher´s mantra "There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers". ;)

Can't be British, they don't know what facetious means cause it is a French word and they don't do frog!

Amanda, it is a topic often discussed. TTers don´t treat each other with kid gloves. Most of it is meant in good fun, but you do have to stick to your guns and not slink away the first time you encounter resistance if you want to survive here.

I'm not a teacher I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend.

What trend. Being human? TT is no different than real life. You must take everything with a grain of salt. I been here for a while. seen some bullying, seen desperation, flirtation, and out of the way kindess that will remind you that the human race is one of the greatest things created. If you expect this this site to be a perfect world then with all seriousness and no sarcasm i tell you get off this site. Search for utopia and when you find it call me. You have to find the good with the bad. My personal belief there is no chaos without order and vice versa for they cannot exist without the other. Anyways good luck.

Now lets go pick on the fat kid...

What drugs are you doing (or not doing) lately? You have gone from "artiiist" to "philosopher" and I would have bet the world that you would have gone to "philanderer" by now! Dude, I think you are jonesing for Fantasy Football. :D

I hear you Amanda, sometimes...there are some... . Yes, this board is a bit cocky because they are comfortable here and they "know" each other. They pat each other on each others backs with their brilliant retorts and their funny shit. I try to come up with clever shit too because it's an impressive team to go up against. You have to have a tough skin. I get really great advice here also. I love these guys.

The Senate in Kentucky is tied and I got a PhD today.

I'd take a shot at your whining stupidity but I'm too damn happy.

You'll still suck in the morning.

Helpful part: Lots of people make this complaint about lots of places on the internet. All it means is that you're watching the human condition in microcosm. You won't like everyone, and everyone won't like you. Pick your battles. This is not a good place for you to raise your flag.

Once I met some of the TTers in real life I was less intimidated and realized how much of it really is meant tongue-in-cheek, kindly, or even self-deprecatingly. Tone of voice and raised eyebrows just can´t be typed.

Even the most legitimate questions are often replied with a facetious remark.

Europeans have nothing else to laugh about.

people are always demeaning to topic starters

You can't make a sweeping statement like this without backing it up.

Amanda, maybe you can post some links to example legitimate questions that were replied to with facetious remarks?

There were 1,436 posts made to the forum yesterday. I'd estimate that a good 80% of them, if not 90%, are entirely good natured with a sprinkling of cutting humour thrown in to keep things interesting. If the figures are substantially worse than that, then yes, we're doing something wrong.

I haven't read all 1,436 posts, but a quick 90-second browse of some of the new topics started shows only good-natured responses. And no, the following topics have not been subsequently cleaned up by a moderator:

To be honest, those topics make for pretty boring reading, unless you happen to be interested in the specific topic under discussion.

If you browse only the political topics, then yes, things get heated in there. But that's the nature of political discussions online, it couldn't be any other way.

If you see a legitmate question that is responded to with idiotic facetiousness, you can use the report button to get it cleaned up by a moderator.

Still, I'd be interested to see specific examples of the kinds of facetiousness you're refering to. I am sure they exist. But I am also sure they are in the minority. Plus, if reported, we can clean them up.