Munich vehicle registration office (KFZ-Zulassung)

27 posts in this topic

Munich Vehicle Registration Office:

Kraftfahrzeugzulassung und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde

Eichstätterstr. 2, Munich-Westend

U-Bahn U4/5 Westend

A quick question... if you change your address within Munich can you update your vehicle registration via post or must you waste another 2 hours at the Zulassungsstelle?

I took all three of my vehicle docs to a Zulassungsdienst, paid them about €15, they did the lot for me. Easier than going to the official offices in Eichstätterstr or Haar!

If you are changing address within Munich city you need to goto Eichstätterstr - see here: KFZ Zulassung for details of what you need and where to go.

If you are changing vehicles inside Munich "Land" then you need to go to Haar (well Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh really) - see here for information.

It cost €10.70 to change.

In both cases get to the front of the queue at 7am, or (better) arrive around 10:30 when the initial queues have subsided.

If you are moving between two areas (e.g. inner to outer Munich) then you need to deregister (abmeld) at one and register (anmeld) at the other

As thyroid said, it's MUCH easier to get a Zulassungsdienst to do it for you - they charge a few Euros on top, but take out all the pain and hassle of waiting. If registering a new or used car they do this too. The downside used to be you could not often get them to arrange a personal number plate, but now you can reserve your own up to 3 days beforehand in the Internet, so they can do that too and simply register your chosen personal number...

YL6

My car service place helpfully lost the small green card that shows ownership of the car. I need to replace it. I believe I have to go back to the Local Motor Vehicle Branch (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle) with the large green card to get it replaced.

Has anyone replaced a small green card before? What do I need to bring with me?

Also - where is the Local Motor Vehicle Branch (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle) in central Munich again? I remember it is SW of the Hbf but can't remember where.

Thanks!

The address is:

Kreisverwaltungsreferat

Kraftfahrzeugzulassung und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde

Eichstätterstr. 2, Munich-Westend

80686 München

U-Bahn U4/5 Westend

Tel. (089) 233 96090

Fax (089) 233 36053

zulassung.kvr@muenchen.de

Mon. - Fri.: 07.00 - 12.00 Uhr

Tuesdays only also: 14.30 - 16.30 Uhr

You will need:

Valid ID (Passport)

Fahrzeugbrief (The larger document)

Prüfbescheinigungen der Abgas- und Hauptuntersuchung

Your last TüV (MOT or DMW) Test.

Yeti - thanks for the info - it worked like a charm.

They also did the address change for me at the same time for about 10 EUR. They were able to pull the new address from the "central" government database for confirmation.

Hi,
I purchased a used car and need to transfer it to my name. Can it be done at KVR Ostbahahnof. Also is there any website where we can look for available numbers one can choose.

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) 
Hauptabteilung II Einwohnerwesen Bürgerbüro Orleansplatz

Orleansstraße 50
81667 München

Cheers,

Vicky

Available numbers (costs around 12€ extra): https://www10.muenchen.de/WuKe/

If the car was already registered in Germany, yes, you could go there.

But you will have to wait a long time since they also do all the other stuff like Anmeldung, ID cards, passports, and so on.

It's quicker at the dedicated (= they do nothing else) Kfz-Zulassungstelle at Eichstätter Str. 2 (but only if you go first thing in the morning. Do not go there Tuesday in the afternoon, then there are huge queues): https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtverwaltung/Kreisverwaltungsreferat/Verkehr/KFZ-Zulassung.html

@Malt-Teaser I am not driving it yet. Just purchased it on Monday night and its parked at my house. Trying to buy insurance today and get registration done tomorrow. 

I have UK D.L. with just 1 year no claim certificate (I drove it for 22 months in UK  but the insurance provider only gave me 1 year no claim certificate as I cancelled the contract in between because I move to Munich).

Now I am trying to get best insurance. Checking online on huk24 or check24.de I am getting full comprehensive Insurance around 975€ per year. (with Cosmos Direkt)

However went to Allianz office yesterda near my office and they are offering it for 1152€.

Bit confused which one should I take as one of my friend said Allianz offer better service in case something happens.

Not knowing German and doing all the paper work is really hard :)

Also anybody having any idea what exactly to fill in these two fields while checking quotes online as doing translation for this also is not much helpful:

Schadenfreiheitsklasse (SF) Haftpflicht 2017

Schadenfreiheitsklasse (SF) Vollkasko 2017

Thanks to all TTers for the active help. 

Cheers,
Vicky

But you seem to have collected it, hit a kerb, bust your wheel and all without a number plate, insurance or driving it.

I'm confuddled again.

SF Klasse is the German equivalent of NCB in UK.

In the UK we talk about percentage of no claims (bonus) discount, ie someone might get 30% discount ... etc. Here in DE the SF percentage is more related to the amount you pay, for example I have:

Haftpflicht SF Klasse 27

Vollkasko SF Klasse 28

I'm not sure why the two are different but there's no mistake.

When I moved here 18 years ago I'd had a company car in the UK for the previous 10 years and I managed to get those years accredited for the SF Klasse, sadly (like you) I couldn't get written proof of the earlier years before that, so I only have the 28 years worth of SF Klasse.

I'm with HUK and delighted with them, but they have a small office with very helpful people here in Erding.

@Malt-Teaser I will clarify and sorry for the confusion.

I purchased the car from a private buyer on monday night and drove it home. He was located 2.5 kms from my home.

They guy gave me the number plates along with the car and he said I can use same plates if i want.

While coming home I hit the kerb by mistake and dented one of the wheels.

I took it to TÜV yesterday (My friend drove the car as he has full comprehensive insurance and can drive any vehicle) and the TÜV was okay apart from the damaged wheel.

Now I am planning to get it registered tomorrow and buy insurance so that I can drive it.

Thanks,

Vicky

But you drove it home, even if only 2.5km?

A good job the kerb stopped you hitting any pedestrians.

Get your friend or another who is insured to bring it home.

Ask the seller to drive it home for you and pay his bus / tram / S-Bahn fare back along with a few Euros for his time and trouble.

The real question is why you bought a car with expired HU? You were lucky your can passed with no issues. I would have asked the seller to get a new HU before I pay him.

Driving it home is not dramatic, the car is still insured that day you bought it until 24:00. But driving it to the TUV was another thing.

Thanks but TUV is valid till end of march and as I mentioned the car was driven to TÜV by my friend who has insurance to drive any car.

We went to TÜV just to make sure that it has no other problems. The owner asked us that we can do TÜV early and within a week as the car has no other problems.