Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Germany vs. Austria for a language-learning stay

33 posts in this topic

... I think Vienna has a smaller city type feel and Munich kind of overwhelms me ...

Vienna is actually considerably bigger than Munich ... and the "Austrian Standard German" spoken in Viennese educated circles sounds more elegant and warm than the artificial, cold "Hannoverian German"

... When Austria became a member of the European Union, the Austrian variety of the German language (limited to 23 agricultural terms) was “protected” in the so-called Protocol no. 10 regarding the use of specific Austrian terms of the German language in the framework of the European Union, which forms part of the Austrian EU accession treaty. Austrian German is the only variety of a pluricentric language recognised under international law / EU primary law ...

For me this is a no-brainer. Go where you can learn and speak High German (which is Germany maybe Austria but not Switzerland). Learning a language is difficult enough without having the locals speak some dialect or strange version of German. I work in Switzerland now and can never imagine that I would have learned high german if I had been there all this time since 98% of the Swiss I have meet speak really only Swiss German... It just does not work for me...even when I go shopping and they answer back the price...I have to guess what they said or look at the till - I have worked there a year now!!!

Finally, there is the risk that you do not like the sound of the dialect, which is my case (I think Swiss German is ugly)...if that is the case you will find it hard to build up a relationship with the language. I was watching Man Utd in the Champion League final with a bunch of friends in Zurich and I wanted to watch the Austrian TV as I can understand Austrian German easier...they were afronted by my request and watched the match on Swiss TV. During the break they switched over to Austrian TV and began laughing and taking the piss out of the Presenters accents... Wow was that a surreal moment...

Stanford ... a hater of Swiss German

PS. Warning Swiss German is made up of loads of dialects so even if you pick up one go five miles down the round to another Canton and they will speak differently...

Maybe it's not worth worrying too much about this because location is no indicator of the accent of the teachers they employ.

I've never had "local" teachers. I've been taught by Swiss and Austrians in Germany, north / east Germans in south Germany, non-native speakers. And so on. All the better probably because it got me used to a range of accents.

I started with "Austrian" German but it was no problem for me later in Germany.

PS. Warning Swiss German is made up of loads of dialects so even if you pick up one go five miles down the round to another Canton village and they will speak differently...

Fixed it for you! :P

My in-laws' village in Albstadt, Germany, has a very different dialect than the next village over only about 3 km away. I had trouble understanding them, and my mother-in-law told me not to worry about it since she has trouble, too! (The family has lived there since at least 1598 so you think they would have gotten used to the neighbours by now, eh? :blink: )

Thanks BIPA.

It was like that in the South of Italy. I was trying to learn Italian in a little town called Matera but after a few weeks I realised the older people were not speaking Italian and younger people were speaking crap Italian. If family (my sister's in laws) came to visit from another 10 miles down the road town - I would understand less and they would point out that oh that lot speak their towns dialect!!!

Here's to country with a unified language (England)...but having said that when my family (from Manchester) visited Munich last week...my wife had to remember once again that not many people speak BBC English let alone Queen's English...

So here's to Educated - and clear profesional people

Stanford the snob...who speaks kindaof BBC English (still a Mancunian lilt)*, hoch Deutsche and Castellanyo

* Writting can leave a lot to be desired though!!!

How different is the Kölner accent from Hochdeutsch?

I used to have a German teacher from Köln, and it always seemed her accent was the most melodic.

How different is the Kölner accent from Hochdeutsch?

Oh dear - even I can tell that accent a mile off...

My Northern German wife says I'll never get her to move to NRW (not that I intend to)...

Stanford the snob...who speaks kindaof BBC English (still a Mancunian lilt)*, hoch Deutsche and Castellanyo

the North Manchester kind or the South Manchester kind?

... How different is the Kölner accent from Hochdeutsch?...

Listen to

... and you know

I've had the experience of learning German in both Germany and Austria. I was a student in Germany on an exchange program to learn German (mostly in northern Germany but some time in southern Germany thrown in.) I married an Austrian and moved to Vienna. When I moved to Vienna I was shocked by the langugage-- there are differences between German in the two countries as well as regional differences and some things just aren't covered in a language class. A small example: In Germany I would drink an apfelschoerle (apple juice mixed with mineral water.) I tried ordering this in Vienna and waitstaff didn't seem to know what I wanted-- turned out in Austria it's called an Obigespritzt.

If you decide on Austria-- specifically Vienna-- I recommend the program at Uni Wien. Far and away the best German course I have ever taken.

I like the sound of German German more than Austrian German. The Austrian is more high pitched, even for the men.

Did she sound anything like this?

Definitely my favourite German accent!