The most beautiful city in the world

219 posts in this topic

As we're not discussing politics I feel it's OK to agree with BTC and say Edinburgh.

It's a city that almost seems alive. It talks to you as you walk around it.

On a Sunny Sunday morning when you're out and about before everybody else is up there is no more beautiful city for me.

Duisburg and Wuppertal. :P

No, seriously, I'd personally choose Montreal, Quebec, as the most beautiful city I've visited. Worth living there too (a year in my case).

I liked Seoul, found it to be a cool city with vibrant streets and mountains within half hour for hiking.

The city istelf is very well organized and connected.

I also like Venice, more than Paris, for a more local taste Strasbourg (within one hour of my residence.)

London number one, for it's atmosphere, as previously stated.

Venice--I've never been more disappointed.

Oh and Portland, Oregon is gorgeous. Rainy, with lovely statues, and the beautiful Colombia River Gorge just beyond the city limits!

Siracuse, Sicily. You can see Mt Etna, jump into the Mediterranian, and eat yourself silly on gelato sitting on the steps of the cathedral. I'm retiring there, hands down.

Venice, really? Too many stairs, miserable locals and TOO MANY TOURISTS!

Bruges is also a beautiful city, but also overrun with tourists. Sorry, that's too much of a negative for me. I don't only want to enjoy a city from 2-5 a.m.

Luang Prabang in Laos, a sleepy French colonial town on a bend in the Mekong... blissful place

You have to find the secret places in Venice, the ones off the beaten track. The Giudecca isn't as overrun as San Marco, the gardens at the arsenal and San Michele, the cemetary island, are charming and also fairly tourist-free.

That's right about Venice. You need to get lost there, away from the tourists. I found the locals (real Venetians) to be wonderful. One walked me across the entire city (I was REALLY lost), chatting all the while.

i was wondering, if cities like san francisco, pdx or vancouver didn't have the natural surroundings, how they'd rate. i think they'd still be pretty nice cities, but a lot of other cities might beat them.

Edinburgh

This is a photo of the Scottish Parliament there. It cost 500 million UK pounds.

post-16951-1225200831.jpg

post-16951-1225200852_thumb.jpg