The most beautiful city in the world

219 posts in this topic

I've lived in various places including some mentioned here (Edinburgh, Amsterdam, currently in Sydney), all beautiful in different ways, but for sheer 'OMG this is stunning' it has to be Dubrovnik... sadly only visited for a few days, but will definitely be back...

Hahaha! Yes that has changed... A LOT! You'll love it. It's very very beautiful-place

Was, as it's now mostly rubble after a string of earthquakes.

RE: Christchurch - my memories of it are that it is a smelly, smallish town.

That was around 10 years ago so perhaps it has changed a lot. I loved New Zealand as a country, but the cities were rather forgettable.

My vote would be for one of:

Sydney - beautiful harbour and beaches

Zurich - amazing surroundings

Paris - lots of character and history

Como is very nice too - I'm not sure if that is big enough for a city though?

Christchurch City, NZ

ExpatUSA, no I don't recall gorgeous Christchurch looking like that (the pictures are ugly!) in the last few years I've lived there, even in winter. As far as I've read in their papers before, they've been serious in solving that smog problem in the winter with these new clean-air rules. When I was there, ban on open fires and older woodburners have already been implemented by Environment Canterbury. Their biggest problem, I think, are the boyracers, but they have implemented strict laws against boyracing now.

SmallTownBoy - I'm so sad about the earthquakes in Chch. My friends and family there said that the news of the damage right after the earthquake was quite exaggerated. It still looks beautiful physically. But I think that with the unending (more than a thousand now?) aftershocks, the damage has definitely worsened. I'll be there in a couple of months so I will see for myself.

I want to post photos taken of Christchurch last month but it doesn't allow my photos here! :(

Seems the reduction in air pollution is a very recent development: http://www.ecan.govt.nz/our-responsibilities/Air/town-rules/Pages/christchurch.aspx . No wonder that NewFromOz and I had different memories of Christchurch.

I heard about those boyracers, but they seem to be a problem all over New Zealand, right? Gang and domestic violence are on the rise as well - that's what friends on the North Island tell me at least.

If you want to upload photos, you cannot exceed a file size of 80KB. You will need to reduce the size of your images first.

Budapest is a funny place. The most stunning architecture in Europe surrounded by dirt and a population that don't care. I want to spend a week there and get myself lost taking photographs but, frankly, I'm worried I'll get mugged for my camera.

Budapest's West Station is home to the most beautiful McDonald's restaurant in the world (perhaps not much of an achievement, admittedly, but still...); it was built by Eiffel, he of Paris tower fame.

ExpatUSA, the Chch residents were given a few years advance notice about the new clean air laws so they had a lot of time to change their heating system with the government's support.

Yes, you're right, the North Island sadly has the gang and domestic violence problems. Christchurch used to have the biggest boyracer problem before the laws against them were implemented recently. The long, flat, nice, wide roads in Chch are ideal for boyracing and drifting. I don't know how many boyracers cars have been crushed by authorities to date. Thank goodness for the new laws! Wellington is too hilly and the roads too small for racing.

When we settle down in the US, I want Washington state or Oregon - glorious nature just near the cities!

Thank you for the advice about the photos!

I want Washington state or Oregon - glorious nature just near the cities!

I live in the Portland, OR, metro area. If you need any information, let me know.

Christchurch City, NZ

ExpatUSA, no I don't recall gorgeous Christchurch looking like that (the pictures are ugly!) in the last few years I've lived there, even in winter. As far as I've read in their papers before, they've been serious in solving that smog problem in the winter with these new clean-air rules. When I was there, ban on open fires and older woodburners have already been implemented by Environment Canterbury. Their biggest problem, I think, are the boyracers, but they have implemented strict laws against boyracing now.

SmallTownBoy - I'm so sad about the earthquakes in Chch. My friends and family there said that the news of the damage right after the earthquake was quite exaggerated. It still looks beautiful physically. But I think that with the unending (more than a thousand now?) aftershocks, the damage has definitely worsened. I'll be there in a couple of months so I will see for myself.

I want to post photos taken of Christchurch last month but it doesn't allow my photos here!

Seems the reduction in air pollution is a very recent development: http://www.ecan.govt.nz/our-responsibilities/Air/town-rules/Pages/christchurch.aspx . No wonder that NewFromOz and I had different memories of Christchurch. I heard about those boyracers, but they seem to be a problem all over New Zealand, right? Gang and domestic violence are on the rise as well - that's what friends on the North Island tell me at least.

ExpatUSA, the Chch residents were given a few years advance notice about the new clean air laws so they had a lot of time to change their heating system with the government's support.

Yes, you're right, the North Island sadly has the gang and domestic violence problems. Christchurch used to have the biggest boyracer problem before the laws against them were implemented recently. The long, flat, nice, wide roads in Chch are ideal for boyracing and drifting. I don't know how many boyracers cars have been crushed by authorities to date. Thank goodness for the new laws! Wellington is too hilly and the roads too small for racing.

I'm in Christchurch now. The east side of the city center is lovely, always has been. The botanical gardens, the Arts Centre, the Avon River Boatshed, etc, all very tranquil. But the downtown isn't as appealing, especially at night. Like most cities, the center is generally empty and the shoppers all go to the suburban malls (such as Westfield, Eastgate, Northlands), and the streets around the Cathedral Square are fairly dirty and grim.

The whole thing with heating in private homes has certainly changed since I was last here many years ago. Coal burners are out and so are the old wood burners which must have been introduced after I was last here. There is a more strict control whereby newer wood burners are only permitted. I clearly remember the serious smog problem ChCh had decades ago.

I've also been told by many here about the "boy racer" problem. Many of the drivers cruise along the avenues such as Fitzgerald, Bealey and Moorhouse (see the link), sometimes as many as a hundred. There was even one incident when they would cruise past mayor Bob Parker's house after he kicked up a big stink about them. For the first time since I was last here I've noticed the No Cruising Zone signs in the city.

Christchurch has been managing quite well after the .1 earthquake that hit the Darfield region on September 4th. The city has cleaned up the rubble and many residents were naturally thankful that the quake struck at around 4:30 am on a Saturday morning rather than during busy work hours in the day. There would've been too many fatalities had it struck then. I was taken for a tour by a group of friends through Sydenham, the worst hit suburb. Colombo Street is like a slalom course in that southern part of town; high fences in the street cordoning off unstable buildings. The city just held a free concert in Hagley Park ('Band Together') for those who suffered from the quake. It was a pretty cool event with about 130,000 attending.

As for the after shocks, I got to experience a wicked 5.0 at about 11:30am a week ago. What a rush! :D The ground underneath me rolled around and the sound of a subway train rumbled underneath. We had another one yesterday (4.8; centered near North New Brighton) which I got to feel while out by Rangiora. They could continue for a few more weeks to come.

Bye for now. ;)

post-9625-12879767064057.jpg

Christchurch tram

FuzzyTony, I miss Christchurch soooo much! It's cold here in HD now, bet it's warm in Chch! My friends there said it's now the "rock and roll" city of the world, always rocking and rolling every time there's an aftershock, hahaha! :lol: A close friend lives in Brooklands by the beach. Their once gorgeous huge home is badly damaged although still liveable. She said Brooklands was floating in silt. My friends just sent me photos of my favorite running haven in the Hagley Park and Port Hills - still marvelous as ever...

When I was there, the city was quite bustling and alive during weekend nights. Yes, the malls there are always jampacked. I used to live 10mins. walk away from Westfield, their biggest mall, and 15minutes run to the Botanic Gardens/Hagley Park. Bus services and train to various parts of the South Island are incredible, as well. Darn, I miss the place so much. Thank you so much for the update! :)

ExpatUSA, I have looooots of inquiries about Oregon! Haven't been there but I've been to Washington state which I love. What are their differences and similarities? I was told Washington is more spread out. My cousin loves Oregon for the shopping in the outlet malls. I'm more concerned about the great outdoors being accessible to the city. Can you please post photos? Hihi... Cheers! :)

What are their differences and similarities?

The main differences: WA has a sales tax, OR doesn't. In Oregon you do not fill your gas tank on your own like in Washington state, you have to wait for someone to pick up the nozzle for you. Most houses here have wooden siding (Cedar) instead of brick or adobe. Fireworks you can buy in WA for 4th July are usually illegal in OR. Other than that I can't think of many differences. The weather in WA is a little wetter and colder over the year than in Oregon, but the landscape (except for southern and south eastern parts of Oregon) is pretty much the same in both states. The drivers in Oregon and Washington are somewhat sloooooow behind the wheel. You'll notice that especially when you've lived in CA before like I did.

Regarding photos, here's one from the Columbia River Gorge I took this summer (sorry, but due to the compression I had to use to post here the quality isn't the best). Looks a bit like the Rhine valley, doesn't it?

post-94745-12880201214077_thumb.jpg

ExpatUSA, Oregon is marvelous! Photo sure looks like the Rhine Valley. No sales tax, drier climate and awesome nature - all great points! :) Hubby's family is in WA so Oregon would be good as it's just near, that is if he can get a job there with DoD.

Cheers! :)

Angela

No sales tax...

Don't get too excited - Oregon's property taxes are quite high compared to WA, and OR has a personal income tax.

http://www.clarkcounty4sale.net/Taxes_-_OR_vs_WA/page_1030641.html

http://www.findurhome.com/Tax_comparison.htm

The Portland metro area is more or less right in the middle of everything - the gorge, the coast, the Cascades, central Oregon and Mt. St. Helens for example are within easy reach - and it's only a three hours drive to Seattle (depending on commute, of course).

Quebec (city): It has been 5 decades since I visited this gorgeous place, and I have never forgotten the view from the Hotel Frontenac.

San Francisco: mountains, sea, bridges.

Den Haag: chic buildings

Brussels: Grand Place, food

Monaco