The most beautiful city in the world

219 posts in this topic

Name the most beautiful city or cities you have visited. Make a list or just give your number one.

(Try keep it to big or well-known cities, so others can contribute.)

1. Sydney - althou I am from there when I returned in August for the first time in 4 and a bit years I was like, wow this City is magic. But I wouldnt want to live there again.

Beauty is so relative ...

Lublin as an example of how European cities looked before WW II

Madrid with its breath-taking architecture

Venice with its specific style, slowly decaying but still marvelous

Amsterdam, see Venice

San Francisco with its different quarters (Mission, Castro, Downtown)

Granada for its situation at the foot of the Sierra, its crowded alleyways and beautiful cathedral

etc.

I find most cities to be fairly ugly places, but I think if I had to choose I'd go along with Sarabyrd and pick Venice and Amsterdam, with Vancouver a close third, although I haven't been there for 25 years so it may have changed a lot and may also be suffering from rose tinted glasses syndrome.

Stockholm - first saw it in the winter in the midst of a frozen lake with iceicles lining the masts on the Skepsbronn in the bright sunshine. Went back in the summer and took a ferry round lake Malmaren (Stockholm is built on islands in a vast lake) and was charmed by Drottningholm (the royal island) and the Gamla Stan (old city) as well as the spectacular Vasa Museet. A very satisfyingly stunning city overall.

Siena

Perugia

Córdoba

Toledo (Spain, not Ohio!)

(I don't tend to like big "well known" cities, except for San Francisco!)

Vancouver. Allerhausen, it may have changed somewhat since your last visit, but the mountains, ocean and parks are all still there.

I didn't see much of the place, but Avignon is pretty spectacular in the centre.

I'd go with Vancouver and Sydney for spectaular natural settings, and Carcassonne and Toulouse for the old world during a soft autumnal evening, and Udaipur and Jaisalmer for the heady other-worldly feel of the orient.

God, 10am and I'm travel-suchtig already.

a few proposals:

Innsbruck - it combines quintessential european elegance, old-world charm, proximity to mountains.

Paris - like her namesake; when switched on she shines.

Sydney... depends what parts you see and where you live

most beautiful cities I've visited (beauty to include atmosphere and weather here too):

1. Munich

2. Barcelona

3. Venice

4. Salzburg

5. maybe Ljubljana

oh wait - I think Metz should be in there at No. 2

Fascinating. I had always thought of the NE of France as an ex-industrial wasteland, but based on your post I went and looked Metz up, and I can see your point. Now I want to go there, too.

Portland Oregon. Even on a rainy day there is something there to remind you how beautiful it is.