Shopping at U.S. military bases

459 posts in this topic

Is there anyone out there willing to take me shopping on the base? I will pay you for your time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and offers!!

Robin

Shopping on post is a privilege and a benefit for those who serve in the U.S. Military. It is a privilege made available by our government (us taxpayer) and can be revoked (taken away) if abused. Allowing individuals who are not entitled to the benefit to shop there would be abuse. I am not saying it does not happen, but those who do it risk having their commissary and exchange benefits removed.

To do so would also be a violation of the SOFA agreement bewteen Germany and the U.S.

And yet, it's so nice to be able to get your choc chips, vanilla extract, baking soda, regular Cheerios, and Quaker Oats without hauling it all back in your luggage. :)

You can't get baking soda in Germany? That is such a cheap, natural product with applications from cooking to cleaning.

People do take their shopping benefit for granted until it is revoked. If I know something is desired by one of my friends, I give them a gift. I refuse money if they try to pay and I don't make a habit of it.

I hate to say it, but the people I KNOW who have abused the benefit have been young Germans who are married to Americans and they take it for granted and act like it is their right to hand access out to all their friends.

You can get baking soda in the grocery store by other baking stuff. as noted in this thread: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4445 or from any apotheke. it's cheaper in the grocery store though.

And, you can get vanilla extract. I found it at Tengelman's a couple of months ago.

So you can just haul chocolate chips, oats and cheerios now. :)

oats are here, chocolate chips? crush up a milka bar.

But cheerios and lucky charms, yeah, those require care packages.

A friend of mine would take me to the PX, no problem. I'd just hand my passport in at the gates, we'd go to the cinema, Taco Bell then shopping. She'd pay (I don't have US $) and then I'd pay her back in Euros (she chose to live off base to integrate a little). Never experienced any problems. Apart from overeating :D

Simple answer ... to take someone on to shop is a violation of the Status of Forces Agreement or SOFA between Germany and the US. It an international agreement ... don't tempt someone to break the law and lose their access and perhaps their job. Just not worth it ...

This sort of thing has gained more visibility lately for fuel. Fuel is sold at lower price than off base but it is rationed (so many liters per month). Some were caught filling up a friends car violating both the SOFA and ration set by the German government. There were other ways to violate the SOFA, this is just one example. Now everyone must show ID card and ration card prior to pumping. The German government expects 100% compliance and it should. It may sound harsh but it's just doing something basic..

Now everyone must show ID card and ration card prior to pumping.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but you make it sound like everyone is being punished because someone (or some people) broke the rules. In actuality, the proper procedure is only being enforced as of late. In other words, everyone should have always been showing their ID and ration card prior to pumping. Even with all the attention that the issue has gotten recently, some Esso stations still don’t require (or want) to see the documents prior to pumping.

None taken ... it's more of a commentary on cause and effect ... visibility is bit greater now so one shouldn't tempt the system... the second to commit such an act will typically be dealt with harsher than the first. Just don't go there ...

There have been quite a few customs officers visible at the PX recently, quite often coinciding with German holidays. It seems that a lot of German ID card holders have their relatives over on a German Holiday and take them to the PX and Commissary to shop. Quite a few have been stopped and questioned, especially when it is blatantly obvious they are not authorized. Recently a friend of mine who is serving over here with the British military came to the PX with me, she was authorized to shop there but was stopped and asked for proof of ID on our way out. They said it was routine checks but all the people they stopped were German or British, so they must have been watching what we bought (She did have a cart load of diverse stuff because she doesn't come down here often) either that or they were listening to our accents.

They are apparently clamping down on it although it will never be totally eradicated unless they go back to the old way of ID card checks at the door and no local nationals allowed in at all unless they are a full ID card holder. Even then all that will do is force people to make a list and have their relatives buy things that way.

Hello all!

I have been in Germany for about 4.5 years now, and I was wondering if there was anyone either in Stuttgart, Garmisch or near Nürnberg that would be so lovely to help me get commissary access for a short while. There are things I am missing WAAAY too much now that I am pregnant again! Not to mention things that my family cant send me since some are frozen food items. I am having way too many cravings and would love to make friends with someone, not only for commissary access. :D

I also wonder if it's possible for the moderators to see if the OP is posting from base somewhere. Obviously the OP could just be some hapless farm girl with a hankering for dove bars. But I wouldn't put it past Army CID to go trolling on a place like this for some PFC to put in jail.

Oh my! I had no idea! I certainly dont want to get anyone in trouble! I promise I am not trolling! I am just really wanting some food! LOL I am nowhere near a base.

Do you know if there is any way that I could sign up for a "day pass" or anything?

No, you do not have commissary privileges.

Being american does not grant one base privileges, you cannot even get on-base alone.

You would need a military id, that specifies you have access to the px and commissary. That is granted to active and retired military, as well as dependents (but the regulations there vary especially overseas)

Without a military helper, its a no go. :(

There isn't any sort of "day pass" that will let you make purchases on Post.

Have you checked out websites such as: Food from Home? The prices are a bit steep, but if you're craving something, you're craving something. Also, is it possible to get a friend or family member to ship some food to you? As long as it isn't perishable, there are many things you can have friends mail you. If you can also get access to a British shop, it may be worth checking out as they often have plenty of equivalents to American goodies.

Hook me up Keydeck :D . j/k. But seriously, have you ever tried deep frying them, if not you seriously should.

Also OP, have you checked out the import shops such as foodfromhome.de They even cary some frozen foods depending on what you are looking for.

Maybe tell us what you want and we can tell you if it is findable here, or maybe even find a dup recipe and make it yourself.

Edit: Bluebell beat me to the punch, great minds think alike.