Where to buy English-style bacon

25 posts in this topic

Many people have been asking on TT where they could buy English style bacon here in Hamburg (or generally in Germany), but it only seemed to be available in British food stores (frozen and expensive).

However, I found it by chance at the new Metro in Altona:

METRO Hamburg-Altona

Plöner Straße 8

22769 Hamburg

I have never seen it at the Metro at Papenreye (but haven't been there for a while), not sure if all Metro branches have it, they seem to have quite different ranges as far as I could see from the three different ones I've been to in Hamburg.

I've never bought it at one of the British food stores, so cannot compare the price, but the Metro price is OK, imo, I paid € 8,00 for abt. 500 g - the only downside is that the 500 g package is the only available size, no smaller packages available.

You can tell for definite whether it's smoked or not if they have listed a pH level within the ingredients section of the packaging.

When you say Metro, do you mean the wholesaler where you need to have a MwSt. ticket to buy, or some related normal retail outlet?

The wholesaler. Not hard to get a "Gewerbeshein". Just goto your finanzamt and say you might sell handmade stuff twice a year and make sure you say your revenue will be low (1000,-€ maybe) and they will fork out a Gewerbeschein(20,-€ I think) and your good to go shopping at Metro,Fegro etc. at wholesale prices like 80% of the other customers in the store without a serious business.

I don't even have a Gewerbeschein, there was just a Metro guy coming to our office one day asking if we wanted to be customers, our boss wasn't interested, but said I could get a pass if I liked. Same with Fegro. So if you work in a small(ish) company you could ask your boss.

Actually, I've still got my Metro pass from my self-employed days, but the last time I was there was about five years ago and they were going through one of their periodical phases of checking up and wanted me to provide proof of current MwSt. payments. This seems to happen on a cyclical basis when the local traders start complaining because they feel too many people are just buying for themselves at Metro and co.

Just for info, I stated a wrong price, didn't see it was per kg and not per package, so the price for 1 kg is € 8,98 (€ 8,39 net)

packages are abt. 500-520 g, so abt. € 5,50 per package.

Don't think you would get it much cheaper in the UK.

Tulip bacon (very similar to that sold in the UK - Danish) is available in Rewe.

"Plus" also do "Ahrens" bacon. (The slices are a bit thin 'tho for both).

I've seen bacon in Penny, but not sure if they currently carry it.

You can also buy bacon in unsliced chunks - can't remember what it is called -

very widely. You would need a good slicer to cut it down to size.

I think you are talking about a different thing.

post-10133-1224223717.jpg

The streaky bacon is available in pretty much every supermarket, usually from Tulip.

In German it's called "durchwachsener Speck".

I meant this, which I haven't seen in any other German supermarket yet:

post-10133-1224223711.jpg

(British/English style bacon)

Lol, I met the landlord of Finnegan's at the Metro in Altona when I was buying bacon... didn't have a look in his trolley tho :ph34r:

I bought two packs of smoked bacon back from my recent UK trip. It doesn't keep very well though - at least not in our family.

Now I'm stuck in US (Las Vegas) & would love a decent breakfast... Tomorrow to Denver...

Saw in REAL today English style bacon from tulip,looks quite good but not perfect, but certainly better than anything else I've seen for a long time,my freezer is full of real English bacon :P otherwise i would definetely have bought some,just thought it might be worth a try for any bacon lovers out there.

Just getting a mate of mine to ship some proper British meat over to me :) he's a wholesaler/distributor in Devon.

God am i anticipating it :) despite working on the Danish border, i just cannot get proper bacon here...

N