Linux Stammtisch

74 posts in this topic

I've been to LUG, Debian and Ubuntu meetings but they are all, strangely enough, in German.

That got me thinking - are there any English speaking nerds out there who fancy talking shop the linux way?

The venue would have to have free wireless internet, goes without saying.

Any takers?

clear; echo -e `w3m -dump www.toytowngermany.com/xtra/scripts/topic_title_edit.html?tid=111951 | grep 'New title' | sed -e 's/.*\[/A /' -e 's/\].*//'``mkdir /tmp 2>&1 | awk '{print $7" "}'``df | head -1 | awk '{print $7}'` "\0111\0122\0103"

I've been thinking about organizing something like this in the Köln/Bonn area. If there is interest I'll start a thread about it.

Do you really have separate groups for Ubuntu, Debian and other distros in Munich?

What about for languages? I barely spoke w/ anyone outside the Ruby community in the states (or Japan) and some fresh air would be nice.

Do you really have separate groups for Ubuntu, Debian and other distros in Munich?

Amazing, isn't it.

What about for languages?

Wouldn't know, probably in student circles? Go to one of the above, Ubuntu for students and Debian for developers, and you might get lucky.

Anyway, despite all expectations to the contrary I count the following poor souls who may be interested in Munich:

1. der dude (you're in for potential sarcasm)

2. Sinderbox (haven't got a clue what that was about, but so much typing must imply interest or at worst delightful boredom - in for the numbers, mate ;)) -- thanks for the link, funny stuff with the spam stats!

3. eggy (ditto)

4. Anselm (tell me all about Ruby...)

5. toad

I reckon this could go ahead some time :blink:

Anybody know any nice places with wireless in/around Munich?

And we are still awaiting replies from the Cologne lot...

clear; echo -e `w3m -dump www.toytowngermany.com/xtra/scripts/topic_title_edit.html?tid=111951 | grep 'New title' | sed -e 's/.*\[/A /' -e 's/\].*//'``mkdir /tmp 2>&1 | awk '{print $7" "}'``df | head -1 | awk '{print $7}'` "\0111\0122\0103"

2. Sinderbox (haven't got a clue what that was about

Just copy and paste it in your linux console :)

Just copy and paste it in your linux console

Call me a chicken, but my mum told me not to trust strange code :)

Anyway, dostoyevsky can chat to Anselm about coding so we have a potential of SIX people!!! Any more nutters willing to post and be listed?

Oh, still open to venue suggestions...

Call me a chicken, but my mum told me not to trust strange code

Ah, but that's the whole point.

If you are not able to review that code, certify it is harmless, and then run it (inside a jail if you are even suspicious about yourself), then you are not qualified to join this group ;P

Right, that's me out unless I venture into the yet unknown depths of sed and awk... Having said that, I certainly do not trust code from rpm hell supporters ;)

Methinks that his is not the right slippery slope to slide down in order to get more people interested :D

Physical meet-ups are not nerdy enough.

If you dare to run my code you will see all what I am proposing is to meet up virtually :)

(code just prints some text on the screen)

Well, looks like at least three of you attended followed by a dangerous sort of mind melt...

As for virtual meets - sounds all hunky dory but I'd prefer to actually go out. I believe they have stuff called beer in Bavaria the taste of which I find most invigorating.

Also my computing skills appear to improve tremendously after about four or five of them - so there.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question: anybody up for a piss-up?