Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How much water should you drink each day?

79 posts in this topic

Not true. From the review I linked to earlier:

It is often stated in the lay press (17, 19, 22, 26) and even in professional journals (47) that by the time a person is thirsty that person is already dehydrated. In a number of scientific treatises on thirst, one finds no such assertion (1, 12, 30, 67, 69, 76, 98). On the contrary, a rise in plasma osmolality of less than 2% can elicit thirst, whereas most experts would define dehydration as beginning when a person has lost 3% or more of body weight (96), which translates into a rise in plasma osmolality of at least 5%.

Im going to change my whole view of life after reading that last post by wheel. I shouldnt drink water if my body tells me Im thirsty, as I may not actually be dehydrated, and therefore drinking would be a foolish use of my body's resources.

I suppose I had better stop swallowing too, just in case I accidentally fail to rehydrate myself correctly.

trying to...hold...in...urine...must... maintain...plasma osmolality... of less than 5%...

I don't know know if this was mentioned already or not, but you can see by the color of your pee whether are not you are getting enough fluids. On average your urine should be clear, dark yellow pee could mean not enough fluids or something else for example some vitamins can make your pee look yellow.

That link didn't discuss the colour of your urine. It's well known that darker urine is a sign of dehydration – as is not needing to urinate in the first place. You should ideally be drinking sufficient so that you urinate every two hours.

<Waits for Wheel to find an article that contradicts this statement.>

To sum up: if you should see anyone who:

1) is shrinking

Oh, and water is also good for the intervertebral disks in your spine.

2) is frowning and rubbing their head

I meant that thirst is a sign that you're already dehydrated, as are headaches.

3) staring in mystification at their own crotch

you can see by the color of your pee whether are not you are getting enough fluids.

4) or just standing there, doing nothing at all

a sign of dehydration – as is not needing to urinate in the first place. .>

Stay back! Do not approach them! These walking dust balls are already doomed and can probably suck the all the moisture out of your body into their mummified entrails in the course of a short conversation, leaving nothing of you but a small pile of crystals and a pair of patent leather boots.

If necessary, fend them off with water balloons, and call the fire brigade. Tell them it's a case of dehydration and to bring the extra large hose.

personally, i think the consumer industry (especially beverages and skin care) is making a fortune by telling everyone how many litres one MUST drink in order to be healthy. and people buy it.

Dark or orange colored urine can indicate kidney and liver failure.

and blue urine color is most likely caused by foods you have eaten lately or medications you are taking.

And green urine colour can be a sign of over-consumption of raw spinach. (Don't laugh, I've been there :ph34r: ). Likewise, if you fancy your urine in a delicate shade of pink, eating lots and lots of beetroot will do the trick. (If it comes out pink and you haven't been eating beetroot, you might want to see a doc, though.)

I remember reading somewhere that the lethal dosage of water is about 14 liters within 12 hours.

@Pas: Cheeky! :P No, then I'd have to change my username every time I ate spinach or beetroot. Or both. Too much hassle.

It's well known that darker urine is a sign of dehydration – as is not needing to urinate in the first place.

No. From the academic journal review article I've linked to before:

...the warning that dark urine reflects dehydration is alarmist and false in most instances.

You should ideally be drinking sufficient so that you urinate every two hours.

Where on earth did you get this idea from? Let's see a source, other than 'common sense' or 'it's well known'.