German banks that issue Visa Electron debit cards

21 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I'm new here - from the US. Spending 6 months in Berlin & Munich studying and working.

I've been trying to find a bank that issues a Visa Electron card but have been unsuccessful so far. Deutsche Bank doesn't do it. I already have a Visa Credit Card and an EC Maestro but wanted a Visa Electron since that's the only card that Ryanair doesn't charge a fee on. The fee they charge is 5 EUR per flight per person. Since I plan on doing a lot of traveling I thought I should try to find a Electron and save some money. I believe EasyJet has a similar fee but I haven't actually gone through the checkout...

So does anyone know where I can get one? I don't mind opening a new bank account for it (as long as it is free).

Thanks,

Saatvik

found this site:

http://www.visa-electron.de

it costs 39€ per year...don't know how many trips you plan on making by ryanair, but unless it is more than 8, you are better off paying the extra charge.

I just dug up this thread (as I had the same question as the OP). Are there really no German banks that issue Visa Electron cards? I am currently still in Italy, and it's really easy to get one here... And it works so well!!! (I have saved literally hundreds of euros in credit card fees already).

Otherwise €39 per year isn't too bad either (with Ryanair you pay credit card fees for each way, so you'd only need to make 4 trips a year to make it worth your while. And if you go with two people, as I usually do, it's already worth it at 2 trips per year!)

You can usually avoid credit card fees by using a debit card, except that Ryanair charge an extortionate €10 fee on a return flight for using even a debit card – a charge that is several times higher than the true cost to the airline. As I said above, Electron cards are basically for children or people who the banks REALLY distrust. You could just fly with a proper airline rather than wasting your time trying to avoid the outrageous charges levied by Ryanair.

http://www.rzb.at/eBusiness/rzb_template1/...2-NA-NA-DE.html

they're in Austria, but have german contact no's (01805...) and send to german addresses.

No yearly fee.

20 Eur refundable (on return) card issue fee

10 Eur postage,

No activation fee.

1,5 % charge for charging the card.

EUR 1 fee per purchase.

Card must initially be charged with min . EUR100.

We've used it for Ryanair for several years.

Hmmm, thanks poppet. I don't particularly like th 1.5% charging card and the fee per purchase. It seems strange. In Italy, you just pay 10€ to get the card, and then you pay 1€ for charging the card: no other fees whatsoever. I was hoping to find something similar in Germany...

(admittedly, in the Netherlands the card doesn't exist either: I know that for sure)

@STB: Yeah, but even with a 10€ fee it is usually WAY cheaper to fly Ryanair... Using my Electron, I recently went to Sicily for 0.02€ return (incl all fees), and I rarely pay more than 50€ return to go anywhere. Can't beat that with a full airline, I'm afraid...

Also, I think the "Electron is for small children that are distrusted by banks" remark might be true in the UK, but that does not make it true just simply anywhere (again, in Italy, that's not the case: people use it here for internet transactions, because it's safer and cheaper... They have a normal credit card next to it for offline purchases)

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Either use a real credit card or a bank card.

And stay away from "cheap" airline knuts like Ryanair.

I just don't see the point of tearing hear out to get a Visa Electron Card when they obviously aren't really marketed that much in Germany an there are alternatives.

I don't see the point in getting a particular card purely to avoid the unfair charges levied by one particular company. If – like me – you think that charging a €9 fee per person (NOT per transaction!) for using not only a credit card but also a debit card is outrageous and possibly illegal, then take your custom elsewhere.

I don't see the point in getting a particular card purely to avoid the unfair charges levied by one particular company. If – like me – you think that charging a €9 fee per person (NOT per transaction!) for using not only a credit card but also a debit card is outrageous and possibly illegal, then take your custom elsewhere.

Fair enough. I guess if you can afford to, that seems like a reasonable thing to do.

PERSONALLY, I prefer to contribute to undercutting the unfair practice of charging such outrageous fees by finding ways not to pay them...

But I guess this differs per person, and given the unfriendly responses I see in this thread, there are many people who take a different perspective: live and let live, is all I'm saying!

DKB (German Credit Bank?) issues a free VISA card when you open a (free) checking account with them.

They only have branches in eastern Germany so the best thing to do is to open an account online

You will eventually have to send them some paperwork which you can print out plus a registration certificate

and get your signature notarized at the post office showing your ID. Sounds like a lot of hassle but I think

its much easier than opening an account at some mainstream bank since they don't ask lot of dumb questions.

Hope this helps.

http://www.dkb.de

Yes, Deutsche Bank does...we have one. Got it when we opened our account. We were told by the bank that it depends on the type of machine the vendor has as to whether or not you must use your pin. Such as, at V-mart I never do but most restaurants we do. Visa Electron debit cards,

@Yellowman:

Is the visa card a visa ELECTRON or just another (proper) visa credit card? cos Ryan air will still charge the card if its a (proper) visa credit card. Its only VISA ELECTRONS that are exempted from the extra charge.

So what does dkb issue?? i did click through the link that you provided. However, it wasn't very clear if they issue a visa credit card or a VISA ELECTRON. I think it says visa card on their website.

Could someone pls explain the details of this card for me??

DKB-Cash: Mehr als ein Internet-Konto.

0,- Euro Internet-Konto

0,- Euro kostenlose Bargeldabhebungen weltweit an

Geldautomaten mit der DKB-VISA-Card

2,55 % p.a.* Verzinsung auf der DKB-VISA-Card bei täglicher Verfügbarkeit,

ab dem ersten Euro

0,- Euro DKB-VISA-Card plus Partnerkarte

0,- Euro ec(Maestro)-Karte plus Partnerkarte

0,- Euro Kontoauszug und Kreditkartenabrechnung monatlich online

0,5 % p.a.* Verzinsung auf dem Internet-Konto

7,9 % p.a.* DKB-Cash-Kredit

+ attraktive DKB-Club-Prämien

what does the 2.55% pa Verzinsung ..., 0.5% pa Verzinsung... and the 7.9% pa DKB-Cash-Kredit mean?? anyone who can help?? thanks y'all!

If you can go with EasyJet you can pay with your normal EC card from your German bank. Just do the booking procedure in German. The option doesn't appear when you do the booking in English.