Shipping companies, removals Ireland <-> Germany

11 posts in this topic

Well after three years in Munich, I'm moving back to Ireland. My current flat was semi furnished when I moved in, so I don't have too much stuff of my own. However I do have a few large, heavy and/or fragile items such as a wide screen TV and flat screen computer monitor, as well as things like a bike, stereo, and all the usual stuff one accumulates.

So I'm currently thinking of hiring a van in Munich and driving it back to Ireland via the Cherbourg - Rosslare ferry crossing. I would then drive the van back to Munich. Anyway a medium sized van for 6 days with about 4000 km allowance plus two ferry crossings and petrol seems to be costing about EUR 1,000 on any of the car rental sites I've checked so far.

I reckon I'll only fill about half the van with my stuff. So if there's anyone else here who needs to ship stuff back to Ireland (or indeed anyone currently in Ireland who needs stuff shipped over here) and is interested in sharing the costs, send me a PM and we can discuss this. I would hope to do the move in the middle of March.

Alternativly if anyone has any other suggestions for shipping about 6 cubic meters / 100 kg to Ireland, please let me know

Thanks

Advertisement link: Gosselin World Wide Moving

I moved the other way in November and used a company from the North called All Routes Shipping. I shipped 10 cubic metres. they supplied the cases and I packed. They collected the stuff and it was on my doorstep in Munich a week later on a pallet. It cost me about 800Euro and no hassle driving half way across Europe. Their number is 0044 2890779088 and the guy was called Carson Mc Mullan.

An intersting footnote there were about four different companies involved in the movement of the stuff, two Irish and two German so I think I could have got it even cheaper. If you want to ring them and do a bit of haggling I can find the numbers but I was pretty pleased with the service from allroutes for 500 quid.

I used swift transport based in shannon, in ireland to move here from galway. They tranport to europe all the time and will give you timing if you want a part load or you could try here www.intlmovers.com

Well, I've decided to rent a van and drive back to Ireland via Cherbourg, getting the ferry to Rosslare. I imagine there will be space in the van on the way over, though I need to try estimate the amount of stuff I'll be bringing back. I have to return the van to Munich, so I will be driving it empty back to Germany. So no problem for anyone wishing to ship stuff out to Munich

I'm leaving Munich on Monday 13 March and leaving Ireland to return to Munich on Friday 17 March (Paddy's day - will have to watch out for parades blocking the towns). So, if anyone would like to transport stuff to or from Ireland, and share the costs (we can work something out based on the amount of stuff you wish to transport), then send me a PM. Preferably picking up or dropping off of goods within a 100 mile radius of Rosslare.

So I'll be finally moving to Munich this summer, probably in August, and am getting very excited about it all.

Does anyone have advice on moving companies to move from Ireland to Munich in the summer? Even better if you have any personal experiences or recommendations ...

I found the link below on TT and a few companies by googling, but just wanted to ask specifically about Ireland/Munich moves and what other people might recommend? It might save a few headaches instead of guessing based on price.

Shipping and removals - Germany to the UK

Shipping and removals - Germany to the UK (2)

Shipping companies for removals within Europe

Since my employer will pay for the move (yay!), I'm not going to bother rent a van and drive over. I'm looking for companies that collect packed boxes from where you live, then deliver it in Munich. I've no furniture, just loads and loads of boxes of stuff, mainly books.

See you in a few months :)

What about renting a van in Munich and dropping it off in Ireland? I have been looking for this solution and found that Avis allow this kind of rental, for a fee... The fee is not published so I'll have to give them a ring to find out how much... Anyone gone down this route?

My missus and I are contemplating returning to Ireland next year so I'm trying to do the legwork now... What would be cool would be if someone in Ireland was moving over and rented a van there, put me down as a second driver, and I could return it when I moved back. Splitting the costs of course... I can dream...

Hi,

We are about to move from Drogheda (Ireland) to Munich. We have a few things we would like to bring with us but we are unsure which is the best way to bring them across. Does anybody have suggestions or recommendations for shipping companies, hiring companies or air cargo?

Many Thanks

stevo

Topics merged by admin

Hi,

I've trawled a bit over the site and this is about as close a topic as I can find for my own query.

I was wondering if anyone from Ireland on the forum has used either Careline or Allen Removals to ship household stuff to Germany, and if so, what your experiences have been like. I got quotes off three companies, and they've all come in within €100 of each other, so after that it's down to quality of service :)

Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone from Ireland on the forum has used either Careline or Allen Removals

Before I moved from Ireland I got quotes from both Careline and Allen Removals, they were very similar and my impression was quite positive. Then I got a quote from Gosselin, a moving company based in Munich. They were much cheaper, and I was very happy with their efficiency.

If you are moving stuff from Ireland to Germany, ther will may a number of different companies that actually transport the stuff. The logistics involved means they often get someone to bring the stuff part if not all of the way, depending on who is driving what route at that time. You'll only have one company to deal with though.

On 24.9.2006, 15:54:46, multimedia said:

What about renting a van in Munich and dropping it off in Ireland? I have been looking for this solution and found that Avis allow this kind of rental, for a fee... The fee is not published so I'll have to give them a ring to find out how much... Anyone gone down this route?

My missus and I are contemplating returning to Ireland next year so I'm trying to do the legwork now... What would be cool would be if someone in Ireland was moving over and rented a van there, put me down as a second driver, and I could return it when I moved back. Splitting the costs of course... I can dream...

I would be ineterested in this, for late February... any takers??? Also looking into the removal companies mentioned in this thread. Will update when we have made a choice.

These are links to the companies I have contacted to date, all mentioned in thte posts above: https://gosselinmobility.eu/

http://www.woodsides.com/all-route-shipping

http://www.careline.ie/

http://schmid-und-kahlert.de/?page_id=107&lang=en