Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inexpensive alternatives to the Volkshochschule

4 posts in this topic

Righty ho, you lot...

A friend is looking for affordable German lessons for her Au-pair..

If you know of any affordable, GOOD, "Small" group or private tutors, please post your recomendations here...

Thanks

SP

The VHS has the cheapest option going. Have your friend enroll the AP

the the Intro to German class which the state pays for (May have to request the necessary forms from the KVR/Rathaus).

The costs to the friend/AP will be around 100 Eur or less for the entire class.

I keep saying, look for someone who is dying to learn English and do a tandem. You can put up notices in universities or colleges. Can't get cheaper than that.

I think going to the VHS is probably your cheapest option - if you want to pay. However, the classes are just too large. Seriously, it is really difficult to learn.

I don't know if you have newspapers in which you can place an ad for free. If I were learning German and did not want to teach English in return, I would advertise for someone(s) to join me (sharing the costs) and then look for a teacher. Or, look for a teacher then look for people to join.

My advice, too, is: if you do organise a private lesson have at least one other sharing it. Not only for the cost factor, but it also takes the pressure off the individual. A problem with students learning a language is that they feel so stupid for making mistakes. (Students feeling and expressing embarrassment make me feel uncomfortable, too ;) )