Flour types - 405 and 550

34 posts in this topic

I have a dilemma!

I usually use type 405 flour for baking cookies and cakes and for general use. However, my bf bought the wrong one (type 550) which I have never seen before and is called something like 'extra backstark'.

On the back of it is a picture and recipe for heavy pastry... is there a huge difference between the two? Will it be ok for choc chip cookies?

Thanks!

Urban Angel

You can use the 550. It supposedly has a stronger wheat flavour and is used more for breads, but with all the sugar and vanilla and other stuff you'll put in the cookies, you'll never notice the difference.

There is none in Germany, so you have to use normal plain flour with baking powder. I can't remember what the ratio should be, something like 1 cup (US measurement, I use a normal sized mug) of flour, to 1 tsp baking powder.

Please correct me someone if I'm wrong!! Don't want to ruin anyone's baking.

@Gen possibly 405, just the 'normal' plain flour.

@Gen yes it's 405 I normally use. After reading the explanation on the website, I'm going to go out and buy 405 for my cookies! Thanks for the useful link/advice everyone.

405 / 550 reminds me of the NKP values on the (i think that is what it is) mixture on bags of fertilisers .

Does anyone know the equivilent to all-purpose US flour? All of my baked goods have turned out miserably and I think the flour is the reason why.

We do not have the fan assisted oven and fortunately we are getting a new oven in the next few weeks but I would really like to figure this out before I want to bake for the holidays!

Thanks!

Gen posted a link above to Rosenmehl flour.

If you can't read German, it basically says that Type 405 is very fine and therefore it's good for cookie dough and other sweet desserts. I think that would be what you would use for "baked goods".

Hope that helps!

Not sure what you mean by all-purpose flour. In the UK there is plain flour, and there is self-raising flour. They only sell plain flour in Germany (type 405). The self-raising you have to make yourself by adding baking flour into plain flour.

There is a different type of flour (maybe it is the 550) that is more prevelant around christmas. And the 405 is not the same as american plain flower - I think it may be more like cake flour.

Anyway, especially for tollhouse cookie recepies, I always add more flower - I would guesstimate for a recipe requiring 2 cups of flour I will add between 1/4 and 1/2 extra german standard flour.

I made the best oatmeal raisin cookies of my life on Friday night (yes, how boring is my life?). Anyway, I just used the normal flour (405) without sifting it (no sifter) and the cookies were perfect (if I may say so myself - I've eaten almost all of them by myself!)

Sifting is useful to combine your baking soda, baking powder and salt together so everything is distributed evenly... it also makes it easier to mix your batter when you add your wet ingredients.

Sifting is not always crutial (sp?) but it definitely helps to avoid lumps. Nothing more awful than trying to get rid of huge lumps of flour on your mixture.