Various tax advice for freelancers in Germany

367 posts in this topic

Thanks. Wow now I’m so confused about what to do. I’m just an online crafter, my profit and loss balances for 2016 and 2017 have been -300 euro and -200 euro for each year. I have about 4 items that i’ve made that haven’t sold and then a lot of yarn, beads, stuff like that 

left. I don’t have a steuerberater to deal with my business, I submit the profit and loss sheet to the Finanzamt and then take that figure and give it to our Tax consultants who use it for our joint tax return.  They won’t and can’t deal with my business income as they are contracted by my husband’s employer to do our taxes. Do you know what I need to do in this situation?

11 minutes ago, Relo2 said:

Thanks. Wow now I’m so confused about what to do. ... Do you know what I need to do in this situation?

Ehm, why do you think did Panda link to that thread? It's all there:

You have to send them "a snail mail letter like the following one." (use Pandas text) and "send them an Aufgabebilanz and a calculation of your Aufgabegewinn". 

Thanks, yes I understood that, what I don’t understand is how I go about doing an Aufgabebilanz in my situation. I read the Aufgabebilanz website but it’s not very clear to me at all.

Hi All,

in particular to the Essensgutscheine. I have been trying to find an answer to my query/confusion since last 3 days without any success.

Link.

https://www.edenred.de/produkte/ticket-restaurant/steuervorteile.html

Quote from the link:

Pflichtanteil.

Amtl. Sachbezugswert

"Muss versteuert werden, entweder pauschal von Arbeitgeber mit 25% oder getragen aus dem Nettolohn des Arbeitnehmers."

as I am still mastering in Germen. with my little knowledge what I understand from the above statement, either employer bears full 25% tax (only 3,23 Anteile). or employee pays the 3,23 euro portion from his salary with out any taxes (25% on employer).

my question:

As I have employed my spouse for a €450 mini job. So, if I plan to give him above essengutscheine worth 6,33 per day for 15 days of work a month.

how do I calculate the brutto summe. with essengutscheine in SV-net and for calculating annual taxes.

Scenario 1. (if employer bears cost of 25% Steuer)

Salary =€450

Gutscheine 6,33x15 days = €94,95

gesamtabgaben inkl. 2 % Steuer an Die minijob-Zentrale =€156,60

Plus 25% on 3,23X15 =€12,11 (to Finanz Amt.)

=======

Total  for taxes= €713,66  (€450+€94,95+€156,60+€12,11)

or 

Scenario 2. (If employee bears 3,23 Anteile)

Salary = €401,55

gesamtabgaben inkl. 2 % Steuer an Die minijob-Zentrale =€139,73

=======

Total for taxes =636,23 (€401,55+94,95+139,73 ) (48,45 employee's share deducted from €450 salary)

or

Scenario 3. (If employee bears 3,23 Anteile)

Salary = €450

gesamtabgaben inkl. 2 % Steuer an Die minijob-Zentrale =€156,60

=======

Total = €450+€94,95+€156,60+€12,11= €713,66 - 48,45 = 665,21 (48,45 employee's share deducted after 2% Steuer)

I understand Scenario 1. is pretty straightforward and simple

coming back to the above link once again.

"682 Euro (der Mitarbeiter zahlt den amtlichen Sachbezugswert von 3,23 Euro ohne zusätzliche Lohnnebenkosten. Bei maximal 220 Arbeitstagen)"

from understanding

which of the Scenarios are correct 2 or 3 ? and should be taken for calculation of taxes.

if I consider Scenario 3. it is no more a miniJob and becomes midi job as the total amount is over €450.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, thanks for all the advice. It was really useful!

I have written a pretty damn detailed guide on how to fill the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung after powering through the whole thing myself. It's a much more detailed resource than what was available before, and it even includes an English translation of the form. I hope it helps you guys!

I just registered as a business, and I'm now waiting for my tax number. How long did it take you?

Morning:)

Well done with the guide, thanks for the effort.

Mine have taken around a month.