Are we in the middle of a financial meltdown?

1,054 posts in this topic

Fair enough that the government has cried wolf so often that everybody's distrustful when it cries wolf again.

But if you remember the story, eventually a real wolf DOES appear. The question is, is this a real wolf, or an imaginary one? I don't want to be caught out if it's real.

Thanks Sanwald. I told hubby no buying stocks on margin, but I think that means we can't buy at all. Which is killing hubby, because he thinks we'd surely make a killing, but he's made some bad stock decisions in the not-too-distant past and I certainly don't trust gambling with our savings.

Cinzia, why not have hubby go somewhere like Sharebuilder and open an investment account. He can pick the stocks and invest as little as $50 a month, it's a sensible way to invest and supplements savings really well.

mccain is suggesting that bush put through a trillion dollar bailout without congress. the biggest heist in history.

leveraging against our savings. Good idea, or not?

no way unless you want to play Russian roulette. Only play what you can loose without getting hurt. There may be lots of good deals out there.But if you are assuming stagflation cash is better; if you hope for depression, cash is definitely better and if you say inflation than anything tangible, like gold or silver or its equivalent should let you sleep. Oil stocks are not bad either, look at Encana. they are paying dividends, are based in Calgary, are the largest gas company in North America, have a substantial holding in the oil sands and have teamed up with one of the largest oil companies for refining in Texas. A buy at present (under $70).

Cinzia, why not have hubby go somewhere like Sharebuilder and open an investment account. He can pick the stocks and invest as little as $50 a month, it's a sensible way to invest and supplements savings really well.

Also consider dividend reinvestment plans (see moneypaper.com). That is how I got my start.

His investment in Goldman Sachs was more interesting- the terms were the same, yet the amount invested was much higher. This suggests that GE is overvalued relative to GS, and/or that it may have some room to fall further considering that GE is a AAA rated company, whereas GS is only AA-.

It'd be nice just to copy Buffett, but we can't get the same preferential deals he does. I wish I'd simply invested in Berkshire Hathaway years ago instead of making it up as I went along. The question is, what happens when Buffett is gone. He's an old man, though spry.

And Bill O'Reilly's quest to take down GE.

What in the world are you talking about? Then again, you are a regular Fox News watcher. :lol:

You can still invest in the same companies he has in the Berkshire portfolio- I watch his moves and those of Soros and others and occasionally follow them in one way or another. Keep in mind that he is an institutional investor and has vastly different tax exposure than you generally do as an individual , e.g., common stock is almost always better for you in taxable accounts than preferred.

I have been doing some investment analysis and if you had purchased £1,000's worth of Northern Rock shares one year ago they would now be worth £4.95p.

With HBOS recently your £1,000 would now be worth £16.50p.

£1,000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth less than £5.

But if you had bought £1,000 worth of Tennents Lager one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an aluminium re-cycling plant, you would receive £214.

So based on the above statistics the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and re-cycle.

Bush thought it was a good idea to invade Iraq, he also thinks it is a good idea to throw in 700 billion dollars to backup default redneck loans. If this happens prepare for the worst.

That's right Conky, I am a lefty that watches O'Reilly. Know your enemies.

O'Reilly's been on a mission to take down GE and the CEO of GE for months now. Fox draws 6 million some viewers a night and 2/5 members of my family watch exclusively. I keep myself informed about the other side's point of view.

How about some links, moctoj. I do not watch Fox and am thus not aware of this O Reilly thing you posted about. Nor do I see you as an enemy.

I believe it dates back to a dispute with their washer/dryer division over "The No Spin Zone." He's also after Maytag.

The US Senate passed a bill yesterday, "Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008". Now, I am not usually hawkish towards how the Congress does its business. Politics is politics. But, in this case, we have all been listening to IMMINENT COLLAPSE stories for two weeks. Paulson comes up with a 3-page plan. The House takes it, makes it 147 pages, then votes it down. The Senate takes the 147 pages, adds a bunch of unrelated shit (only to garner votes, which is 'pork' in Senate parlance) and passes a 450 page version.

Paulson gets his $750 billion, but with tight controls, and everyone who voted for it gets something for the voters back home.

Here are some other highlights for your amusement:

- Sec. 102. Production credit for electricity produced from marine renewables.

- Sec. 108. Credit for steel industry fuel.

- Sec. 111. Expansion and modification of advanced coal project investment credit.

- Sec. 115. Tax credit for carbon dioxide sequestration.

- Sec. 204. Additional standard deduction for real property taxes for non-itemizers.

- Sec. 211. Transportation fringe benefit to bicycle commuters.

- Sec. 502. Provisions related to film and television productions.

- Sec. 504. Income averaging for amounts received in connection with the Exxon Valdez litigation.

Full text: EMERGENCY ECONOMIC STABILIZATION ACT OF 2008

Summary (press release really): SUMMARY OF THE “EMERGENCY ECONOMIC STABILIZATION ACT OF 2008”

Analysis: SECTION-BY-SECTION ANALYSIS OF THE LEGISLATION