Various advice for newcomers to Braunschweig

44 posts in this topic

Hello! I am new here, I just moved to Braunschweig just over a week ago. I wish I had read this a few hours ago, I live right by Murphy's and did not know!

I am 22, recent graduate from New York USA, I am working at IAV in Gifhorn.. but want to meet people here! PM me or reply if you would like to meet maybe this weekend.. else I hope to see some of you next week at Murphy's!

-Will

Hello, everyone!

My name is Kim, and I have been living in Braunschweig for 8 months. I'm a 36 yr. old female, originally from the US and teach English.

Other than McMurphy's, there is an English Sprachcafe at the Kaufbar on Helmstedter Straße. The meetings are normally every other Sat., but they are taking a summer break. I think it will start back up again either in August or September.

I'm always looking to make new friends, so message me if you'd like to meet up.

Take care!

Kim

Hi, I am new to Fallesleben and am looking for a little bit of a social life during the day, either here or in Wolfsburg or Braunschweig. Anyone around?

Hi,

I am new to Braunschweig and looking to meet people. I work until about 3pm each day but if you are free after that it would be nice to meet.

Lyndsay

Hello all!

I am new in this forum :) I will move in January 2014 to Braunschweig. Can you give me little advice, where I should look for apartment?

(I serached online site as immo24,kleinanzeigen.ebay, immowelt...)

I looked around the internet, but all accommodation come with a provision/month + tax and with no furniture at all.

Is it OK, to move to a little town in 20km radius of Braunschweig (Salzgitter, Wolfenbüttel), or the public transportation is not quite OK?

Which part of the city you recommended for living? I will work at the Östliches Ringgebiet area.

I looked around the internet, but all accommodation come with a provision/month + tax and with no furniture at all.

This is common in Germany. You may be able to find something around here with no provision and/or you may find something with a built in kitchen (marked EBK on immo24) but furnished would be very uncommon. That goes for Wolfenbüttel and Salzgitter as well. Public transport is usually ok but you'd have to check for the place you might want to move to in particular for when you want to move there.

For example, if you live in SZ-Lebenstedt (the biggest village of the Salzgitter 30 or so villages) there is a train that goes into Braunschweig that takes 24 minutes but it only runs every hour or so during rush hour and less frequently outside of that. There are however other options like bus but it takes longer. You can look the connections up at bahn.de

Try this search: http://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-20/Wohnung-Miete/Umkreissuche/Braunschweig_2d_d6stliches_20Ringgebiet/-/37585/2479583/-/1276009003055/20/-/-/-/-/-/-/true/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/true It should be only provisionfrei and with a kitchen.

If you choose to live in smaller area outside of BS, I would highly recommend Wolfenbuettel. It has both a train (9 min into BS) and a bus (that runs every 15 min) into BS with stops right into the Inner city area. The bus takes approx. 20-25 min.

Salzgitter does not have much in the city to do, or as far as transportation, I would not recommend it at all!

If you want more info PM me, I live in Wolfenbuettel and am happy to help you.

Wolfenbüttel is expensive and a pain if you haven't got a car, östlichesring is also one of the most expensive ares of braunschweig, whereas westlichesring is one of the cheapest, but not the nicest. Depends on your budget. You can pick up furniture from ebay kleinanzeige pretty cheap.

Try this site for apartments http://www.wiederaufbau.de/wohnen/wohnungssuche.html

There is also a pdf form you can fill out and email, they will then contact you if there is something that matches. Plus they dont charge you fees.

I am giving away a kitchen if you find yourself in need of one...it has a dishwasher, oven, stove top and refrigerator, as well as cabinetry. You just have to arrange for transportation and supply the physical labor to yank it out by the end of the month/beginning of Feb. It came with the house I am renting and I ordered a new one. Everything works, it is just old, not so clean (nothing soap and sweat can't fix) and I want something different. I am fairly new to the area and live in a village approximately 25k north of Braunschweig.

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Braunschweig with my wife who is working for VW. I am looking at getting started with German classes, however there seems to be a long wait list. As a result, I am looking for good activities in the city. I am from Southern California and enjoy being outside and being active (rock climbing, hiking, surfing, etc.) Obviously, surfing is kind of out of the question here. Any suggestions for things to keep busy during the day? I am also looking to meet new people here. I speak some German already and am hoping to learn more. Feel free to send me a message :)

Thanks!

Learn to fly (thats how I learnt German). The headquarters of the german Aero Club is located at braunschweig airport; a good friend of mine instructs on gliders (he used to be an instructor on tornados).

The German National Gliding Conference is being held in Braunschweig this year - 1st November I believe.

Hello everyone!

I will be moving shortly (May) to Braunschweig, to do my PhD, and I have many questions!

What are the average prices for a one bedroom apartment in Braunschweig area (fursnished preferably)? What are the best areas to live in? I will be working in stockheim. Is it common to find rents that cover expenses, or is it more common to pay expenses aside?

Does anyone know of any vacancy?

Also, where can I find German courses and what would be the cost of those? I don't speak german but I am willing to learn! Is life very complicated for people who don't speak german, or do people understand english easily?

I am sorry for all these questions! If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

I am moving to lovely BS in august. My German is shocking and I need things to do, job, friends and German lessons. I'm from uk and hope to get some tips from you guys. Hope to get some replies x cheers

Markde

I am from Southern California and enjoy being outside and being active (rock climbing, hiking, surfing, etc.) Obviously, surfing is kind of out of the question here.

I feel sorry for you as Niedersachsen is pretty much as flat as it gets, although if you have a car Sauerland is not too far away. Otherwise pop down to Bayern.

Hello everyone!

I will be moving shortly (May) to Braunschweig, to do my PhD, and I have many questions!

What are the average prices for a one bedroom apartment in Braunschweig area (fursnished preferably)? What are the best areas to live in? I will be working in stockheim. Is it common to find rents that cover expenses, or is it more common to pay expenses aside?

Does anyone know of any vacancy?

Also, where can I find German courses and what would be the cost of those? I don't speak german but I am willing to learn! Is life very complicated for people who don't speak german, or do people understand english easily?

I am sorry for all these questions! If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

I have just moved to Braunschweig to start a PhD as well. From what I can gather so far, the rental market here is very competitive - specially for small or medium sized apartments. Anything advertised on the web (eg. on ImmobilienScout24, immonet etc.) is snapped up within a matter of days, sometimes even less. Prices are usually between 400 and 600 euro per month. It is better to try and find an apartment that hasn't been advertised (eg. through colleagues), but this is easier said than done.

I would also like to know about the German lessons. I have a basic knowledge of the language, but can't really carry a conversation. You will find that quite a few people in professional and academic life speak English, but shopkeepers, taxi drivers etc. do not.

For German lessons, you can try a language school, but you will have to pay... Or the VHS (Volkshochschule), which are usually more affordable, but also often require more of your time per week (harder to commit if you have work/lessons as your first priority). Here's a link: http://www.vhsinternational.de/, though I believe they start the next round of courses in September.

I'd recommend some self-learning programs... Pimsleur, Michel Thomas (both are classic listen-and-repeat audio programs), Schaum's German grammar (self-learning workbook I found useful!), whatever apps your smart-phone might find, etc. etc. A multi-pronged approach is best! No one source will get you speaking fluent German... and it will take time.

Learning some canned phrases will make your life a whole lot easier. Generally people under 30/35 or so know enough English in a pinch, and I find people here pretty friendly so I don't think you'll have too much trouble for simple interactions.

Hi all,

I'm not all that new to BS, but am finding my circle of friends is dwindling due to the number of people moving abroad/back to the UK.

If anyone else fancies meeting up for a drink/coffee/walk sometime I'd be very glad to meet new people :)

Feel free to PM me or simply post here.

Nikki

Hey all - Just moved to Braunschweig from The Netherlands (I'm originally from the US) with my girlfriend at the end of September & have been a bit bored. I'm I've seen some posts about meetups but they were a bit old. Anything still ongoing? Also, there is apparently some festival this weekend so if someone wants to meet up let me know!

Hello all!

I've also just moved to Braunschweig (am originally from the US) and would be interested in meeting up with other English speakers. I'm going to try going to the Kaufbar once I've gotten settled in here, but would be curious to hear if there are any other meetups.

Hi Guys,

I moved to BS (From Australia) almost a year ago and work for Relovario (a relocation services company in the area).

Sorry if this message is a bit late but only just saw these posts recently.

If you guys are new to the area and would like to hang out with some English Speakers, there are some Facebook groups that you maybe interested in. 'Neue in Braunschweig' is one of them but the problem I find is that many participants aren't native english speakers. But if that doesn't bother you, maybe joining might not be such a bad idea. If you're looking for some activities, I know that Wild Geese puts on a 'trivia/quiz night' in English. The bar owner is, I believe from Chicago so your chances of meeting native english speakers is high. Also on Monday nights, the BS cinema shows a movie in English -but there is a catch though... they don't tell you what the movie is going to be until you purchase the ticket. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing!

If anyone here has any questions regarding anything, please don't hesitate to message me :)

Best