Becoming a victim of credit card fraud

44 posts in this topic

CAREFUL! The 'verified by VISA' means that Visa doesn't have to pay you anything back in the event that despite the verification, fraud is committed.

I'm sorry to be putting out this outrageous claim without any proof... someone emailed me some info on this a few months back; I'm gonna have a look for it right now. It's in German though.

EDIT: Okay, I'll have to take all that back! There was a problem, but as per this info here it has since been solved:

http://www.test.de/themen/geldanlage-banken/meldung/Kreditkarten-mit-SecureCode-und-Verified-by-Visa-Haftungsrisiko-bei-Missbrauch-4231197-4231199/

(see 'update')

That's good to know. Still, I am very cautious about anything banking-related that involves a mobile phone - especially SMS TAN and verified by Visa. Smartphones as thievable objects surely must be a thieve's dream come true - small objects with a high value and high visiblity.

Rightly or wrongly I suspect it is much easier for someone to hack the SIM code of a stolen smartphone and get at all kinds of data, than it is to hack into a (stolen) laptop carried around in public less often.

I'm so anal about this. On a computer, the minute I get confirmation of an e-purchase, I don't browse to any more internet pages/new windows. Instead I open up cc cleaner, empty my cache, then pull out the LAN cable/internet connection and wait a few moments. Only then will I reconnect and surf normally.

Wow, I'm glad to hear that, as it makes me appear a lot less paranoid!

I don't make any online purchases, but I do online banking. And when I've accessed my account, I do the same thing, ie close all browser windows. Hadn't realised yet that I might as well not have bothered, seeing as it seems neccessary to cut the actual connection... So thanks very much, guess that's what I'll do from now on.

If you guys purchase Skype credit - be aware. I just had €100 stolen :( my account was hijacked. Sadly i had used my credit card last year to pyrchase skype credit and skype saved this info. Made it very easy for the hackers to auto recharge. Have cancelled card and have to file a police report in order to get the money back. So please be warned if you use credit card OR paypal to purchase skype credit (you can google either - there's lots of this happening). I wish i had deleted my card after top up :(

in rome I payed several times with credit card and they stole from my credit card around 1000 euro and booked flight tickets.

I got sms-es from bank and called them but it seems not possible to terminate transaction, this is so silly from bank security

they also have my ID photocopy

now I filled reklamation and hoping to get money back :(

p.s I had visa verify activated but it does not help, this stupid airlines enable to book flights with just credit card number, this is ridiculous! they just care that they sell tickets, nobody cares about peoples security

I will never use credit/debit card any more, EC card is much more secure.

and paypal is better , when you have binded it with german bank account it comes as latschrift(or whatever it is called) and possible to get back just from internet banking

any ideas what can I do if the bank does not return money back?

I will never use credit/debit card any more, EC card is much more secure.

Compmared to EC card you are much better protected when using a credit card.

In your case, the onus will be on the credit card issuer to prove that you made those charges. All you need to do is simply challenge the charges, sit back, and let them sort it out. It's their problem, not yours.

where can I check that they have not made fake id from my german ID card photo? taking new card makes sense?

They don't even need to. To book tickets online they just need the information printed on the card, not an actual clone of the card.

In any case, let the credit card company deal with this. What you should do, for now, is make sure to properly fill out and send the form where you contest the charges. You won't have to pay for contested charges as long as the investigation is still pending.

I'd also consider to take out insurance against credit card and online-banking fraud. E.g. Cosmosdirekt is offering it for EUR 2.- per month.

What's the point? If it's fraud, the credit card will waive the charge (by law).

If they successfully argue otherwise, i.e., that the charges do not constitute fraud, then the additional insurance you're suggesting will argue the same way and won't cover the loss.

What's the point? If it's fraud, the credit card will waive the charge (by law).

Only if you hadn´t been negligent. The insurance will cover you even if you were grossly negligent. Thanks for your post though. It made me check on this before I posted and found out that they dropped the price to .90 / year. Will apply for a reduction on Monday.

Despite the pretty web-page, the actual terms and conditions of the insurance don't seem to offer any greater protection than your get from your bank.

See section 6 in the terms and conditions:

https://www.cosmosdirekt.de/CosmosCAE/S/linkableblob/home/5038-7089/data/Bedingungen-FinanzSchutz-Versicherung-data.pdf

I can't see much difference between what a bank considers grossly negligent, and what the insurance excludes from cover.

I can't see much difference between what a bank considers grossly negligent, and what the insurance excludes from cover.

Well, I can. Imagine for instance that you left your card in your wallet at the gym's changeroom and didn't put your bag into a locker (since the locker is too small). I'd bet that the bank will refuse to refund you claiming negligence. Just one of many examples I could think of.

@ jeba

Have you ever seen a gym locker that was too small for you to put just your wallet, to say nothing of your credit card/s, in? :rolleyes:

If you're suggesting you could submit a claim based on the premise that your credit card could not have been temporarily secured because 'my bag was too big for the gym's locker' then frankly I think any reasonable person would consider it perfectly legitimate of a bank or any other insurer to dismiss such a claim on the grounds of gross negligence.

2B

In our local gym it happens every day. I didn't pull that example out of thin air. And this insurance explicitly includes cover for gross negligence. I'm not sure whether there other companies offering that kind of product as well (I'm not aware of any).

Dumb people do dumb things all the time. I don't even leave my muddy hiking shoes outside the locker in my gym. In they go and it's part of the service for them to clean the lockers.

Gross negligence is writing your PIN number on the card, NOT just losing your card. If you lose your credit card (most likely doing something stupid, like in your gym example) or it is stolen then you are covered by the bank for any fraudulent transactions.

For info, for transactions without the PIN (e.g. by signature only) the merchant (i.e. shop or airline where the card was used) ends up paying if the transaction was fraudulent.

Well, I can. Imagine for instance that you left your card in your wallet at the gym's changeroom and didn't put your bag into a locker (since the locker is too small). I'd bet that the bank will refuse to refund you claiming negligence. Just one of many examples I could think of.

That situation is not realistic. Who is going to tell the bank how the card was stolen with all the details about lockers?

What in reality happens is:

1. You card is stolen (or credit card data are stolen and used online).

2. You block it. Go to the police and file Strafanzeige.

3. With a copy of Strafanzeige you go to your bank and submit Zahlungsreklamation. As a reason you state "Umsatz wurde nicht getätigt" (if cc data was stolen, but not the card itself) or "Diebstahl". No further details.

4. You receive money back, end of story.

Source: I did it.

if criminals stole ID card and did same kind of signature?

doesn't matter. In case of a doubt the bank can hire an expert who will decide if a signature is genuine or not. It's impossible to fake it (for expert).