Becoming a victim of credit card fraud

44 posts in this topic

I've just noticed some transactions on my credit card which I have not made.

They seem to be spent on some flight tickets for these airline or whatever they are:

Air Italy

Air One

Meridiana

I'm gonna cal the emergency phone. What they will do? Cancell the card?

Call immediately, also pull a credit report ASAP. Many times finanacial idenity theft is much larger than one credit card.

Should I deny the transaction first? Or even can I deny the transactions? I#ve never had any problem like this before...

I'm not really getting along with the phone operator... :(

Edit: I've called the emergency service and cancelled the card.

I hope they will refund everything.

When I got back from my holiday in Croatia last year, my card was denyed for some transaction. I called my credit card company, and they said I'd exceeded my credit limit. I said that was unlikely, and could they advise me of some of the larger transactions.

I told them not only have I not been to London recently, I definetly do not have a shoe fetish.

So they faxed me a list of charges, and I had to identify the fraudulent ones, and fax it back to them. Money refunded, cards not cancelled.

aero, if you've just cancelled the card with the emergency card hotline and didn't discuss the other transactions, then you should get on to the normal helpline of your card provider pronto, or at least write to them (in English if necessary). They would normally then send you a form to fill out, confirming that you did not make transaction X, Y, Z etc.

Perhaps not the same thing, but it is worthwhile reading how these scams work. Be careful when you are using your PC and a pop-up tells you that you have a virus and directs you to a site where you can supposedly buy anti-virus protection using your credit card. It will not fix your computer and you will often have inadvertently keyed in your card details and given them to fraudsters. Even if you are asked for your card details through e-mail from a site belong to, NEVER follow the link in the e-mail... Always, go to the main URL of the website that you normally use eg. www.myspace.com ... These clever fraudsters can send you e-mails that look exactly like they have come from your favourite site (a quick way to check is to look at the return e-mail address... something like ad010145t@myspace.com is a dead give away).

Also, ignore the broken English e-mails that look like they have come from Natwest bank and also anything that says "Statement attached" and makes it look like you have just bought something be wary of. The .ZIP file that it wants you to click on is a trick.

I've called the normal help line this morning and they requested a fax from me in which I have to indicate to them which transactions I haven't done.

Thanks to everyone for the help given!

Aero, you don't have whether you're American in your profile, but if you are, you need to file a fraud alert on your credit reports. Make sure you read up on what is required. I've been a victim a couple of times. Call your bank and notify them too.

I'm not American but I was wondering if in Germany I should file a fraud complaint to the police or will the bank (or the credit card company) do that anyway.

You definately should go to the police. My other half has recently been a victim of credit card fraud and we have no idea how plus to make things worse they also physically created another credit card and a german passport using his name!!! We have seen a copy of both of these as it was very kindly provided by the company in the US were the b****d tried to use it to rent a server. It gives me the creeps to look at the picture of this guy. We passed it all on to the police but we have not heard anything back from them as its a big issue here at the moment. We got all the money refunded from the bank but it was more the invasion of privacy and the fact that someone went through all the trouble to create an ID and give an address similar to ours but a house number that does not exist. It was a little too close for comfort.

Old thread I know but I just want to let people know that for the second time in 3 months my bank has written to me asking to phone them with regards to a Visa transaction.

On both occasions they noted unusually high payments, once to an American Camera mail order company plus a few other mail order companies and the second time a payment of more than 800 euros to a firm in Amsterdam.

Following the first occasion they sent me a new card. I am now awaiting a new card following the 2nd batch of fraudulent transactions. On both occasions I have been refunded the fraudulent transactions.

On both occasions I had made an eBay purchase one or two days prior to the fraud and used PayPal which has my CC details.

I doubt that this was coincidence.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Why does Visa not allocate TAN numbers for online transactions? This would eliminate/reduce online fraud.

A few online places I shop at have a "verified by Visa" system where you have to sign in with a password before you can use your credit card.

CAREFUL! The 'verified by VISA' means that Visa doesn't have to pay you anything back in the event that despite the verification, fraud is committed.

I'm sorry to be putting out this outrageous claim without any proof... someone emailed me some info on this a few months back; I'm gonna have a look for it right now. It's in German though.

EDIT: Okay, I'll have to take all that back! There was a problem, but as per this info here it has since been solved:

http://www.test.de/themen/geldanlage-banken/meldung/Kreditkarten-mit-SecureCode-und-Verified-by-Visa-Haftungsrisiko-bei-Missbrauch-4231197-4231199/

(see 'update')

My suspicions are:

1. Insider at Paypal passing account info to others (very unlikely)

2. Someone able to hack into users Paypal account (possible)

3. As soon as you press the PAY button on Paypal then someone is able to intercept the details (likely)

Any other ideas or opinions?

A couple of years ago,I used my Visa card to pay for a flight on Easy Jet. Within milliseconds I got a request asking for my pin number. The crazy thing is I almost did it.

I told Easy Jet about it but never heard anything. I think my details had been passed on to some sleazeball.