Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The worst neighborhood/district of Munich

72 posts in this topic

"downwind of the Schlachthof (centrally located abbottoirs), Implerstrasse (my first flat was here and I hated it), Harras (my first employer was here), Giesing "

Rubbish, these are all great areas...the schlachthof NEVER bothers anyone i know that lives in the area (5 different people in different areas within 200m), implerstrasse is so inoffensive and well serviced I'd find it hard to even slightly dislike, nevermind HATE, Giesing is just...Giesing...but not bad in any way.

@ruapehu

Sorry, I did not want to mean that I would avoid the district Schwanthalerhöhe. I just wanted to point out the interesting immigration mix!

There is a difference between Hauptbahnhof region (U-bahn Hauptbahnhof) and Schwantherhöhe district (U-bahn Schwanthalerhöhe)

I would avoid the street Schwanthalerstr. because it is really ugly.

ah, that's all right then. I'd better not tell you what street I live on though :lol: (although there's a difference between the bottom end and the top end here too...I know, the bottom end is really not too nice).

Sorry, I did not want to mean that I would avoid the district Schwanthalerhöhe. I just wanted to point out the interesting immigration mix!

Hmmm, perhaps you should have looked for the "Districts of Munich with interesting immigration mixes" thread rather than posting "Schwanthalerhöhe. immigrants living there" on a thread entitled "The worst neighbourhood of Munich".

other 'not perfect' places include odeonsplatz (junkies/alkies), Donnersberger brucke, and anywhere west of nordbad cos its a long walk to the u-bahn. Be careful out there people

oh and of course no ones mentioned happy Hansa Strasse yet

Hmmm, perhaps you should have looked for the "Districts of Munich with interesting immigration mixes" thread rather than posting "Schwanthalerhöhe. immigrants living there" on a thread entitled "The worst neighbourhood of Munich".

Yes, it is true. When I read my post I see that it can be easily misunderstood. I just wanted to add a comment to ruapehu's post about Schwanthalerhöhe and ...well

I hope that it is clear now. :)

In spite of some bellicose responses (Plainly, I´m going to be an immigrant too) , I am much obliged to you all (Tks! ... lol).

In addition to my gratefulness, it is too much comforting read comments like Ruthie´s comment:

"Vitor, it's a fair question, but the answer is basically that there are no terrible neighborhoods in Munich.".

Thank you, I said: THANK you (lol).,

Vitor S G

You are probably better of phrasing your question to:

What is the most boring area of Munich?

Then if boredom is your thing, you know where to go - otherwise where to avoid.

I'll see your bid and raise you.

Women don't suffer from PMS, men do everyone does.

There, fixed that for you. :)

But Neuperlach Süd is green, has a school/kindergarten, shops close by, U-Bahn and S-Bahn, and is an all-round chunk of suburbia. Just south of "big, bad, evil" Neuperlach Zentrum.

Dear diary,

I'm not sure if this is not going to be my last entry. I've been crouched down behind the garbage heaps for two days now. The locals seem to have become resistant to the armour piercing rounds that were recommended when we first moved here. The flak jackets are also useless. I took a direct hit from a two day old Brezen yesterday. Food supplies have run low and the local game is shy and impossible to track. The whole city is nothing more than a huge redlight district. Cannibalism is rife. I was approached by an obvious non-local yesterday, persistent, touting some reeking liquid. I shot him twice and he expired before I was forced to comprehend what ever heresy he was mouthing. The body is gone and with it any hope of stew, I think they dragged it off during the night, the ever present night. The only relief from the darkness are the trains, they pass constantly , light spilling from windows filled with silent commuters. I have to move while I have the energy to save myself, but the minefields are everywhere. That scraping noise have started again, closer now ...

"Excerpt of a notebook recovered from a paper recycling container near Neuperlach. The fate of the writer is unknown"

post-5920-1221941324.jpg

copyrightBaldy

I strongly resemble that remark!

Actually, you're right; the bit north of the freight track where you run out of sidewalk is dull, dreary and desolate. But then you turn left and hit Feldmoching and it's all peaches and cream again.

post-5920-1221941464.jpg

copyright Baldy

Hi there,

I'm a "Münchner Kindl" (= born in Munich). As such I recommend not to move to Hasenbergl or Neuperlach. Altogether I would rather not live too far in the North of Munich.

I would'n say that Obermenzing is not recommendable, because even though there is no U-Bahn, there still is the S-Bahn and the bus. Obermenzing is very green, but also urban (thanks to Pasing where they are building a new mall/shopping center right now) and lots of good schools and stuff like that. Altogether it depends on how much money you have to pay the rent and if you prefer silent and green or loud-until-late-at-night neighbourhoods. ;)

Having been dependent on the S-bahn for the last 18 months I strongly recommend any area of town not served solely by that means of transportation.

Of course, the desirability - or otherwise - of a given area could be judged upon the number of TTérs per square Km :D

Nice pic Garibaldi - you forgot to mention this is a fence of the Siemens factory :) which happens to be very close to the s-bahn station.

We have friends living in Neuperlach Sued, we have been there many times and no one robbed us, attemted to shoot at us, stolen anything from our car etc.

The truth is there are less Germans then immigrants living there but it does not make it a ghetto with gangs and drug dealers on every second corner.

A lot of people working for Siemens and BSH live there.

We live in Ottobrunn which has an image of a very quiet and safe neighbourhood. I have always felt equaly safe in Neuperlach.

Depends on your age, liefestyle, family, leisure interests, job location, income, transport mode etc etc.

Oberföhring is meant to be one of the "nicest" areas in Munich but I would NOT want to live there.

Seeing he is coming from south america, it is almost unthinkable that there is no bad areas, all I had heard is also the hassenthing. We lived in obermenzing before and I had no troubles moving with bus and sbahn.

It is really up to:

How much you want to spend in your house-flat

Will you/your wife have a car

More city oriented(nightlife/restaurants) or "land" meaning space

With those things in mind go to immobilienscout24.de and start looking at pictures of flats houses to get an idea what you will get... we did that and from that we started then narrowing the places, based actually on a lot of comments from people on this site. We had already lived in Munich but only in the city, back then we were both working, no children. Now I am a stay at home mother of 3, so our needs had significantly changed and we wanted more the space of being on the outside... (meaning it is easier to get a house with garden for a reasonable price than in the city)

I guess things to watch out here when looking at flats is:

Noise (an sbahn nearby)

Accesability (sbahn, ubahn connection)

Garage or parking possibility

Lift (a friend of mine was on the 7th floor no lift, gulp!)

and whether you like it or not to be on a main street

Good luck with your move!