Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The worst neighborhood/district of Munich

72 posts in this topic

Violence, exclusive immigrant area, too much garbage, very distant from public transportation, prostitution...

So, tell us the reasons and, at the end, the worst (worses) district to live in Munich.

TKS

I still don´t understand why exclusive immigrant area belong in your above list of `things to avoid`

Vitor, it's a fair question, but the answer is basically that there are no terrible neighborhoods in Munich.

I still don´t understand why exclusive immigrant area belong in your above list of `things to avoid`

Could it be that he - horrible dictu! - wants to mingle with the natives?

I strongly resemble that remark!

Actually, you're right; the bit north of the freight track where you run out of sidewalk is dull, dreary and desolate. But then you turn left and hit Feldmoching and it's all peaches and cream again.

Living in an allegedly bad neighborhood is completely relative in Munich; at worst some areas are a little drab and dreary, but not dangerous in the least bit. A worst case scenario here would involve someone breaking into your car, and even then, you'd get a SWAT team and a helicopter at your house three minutes after having called the police.

I'm pretty sure that this applies in most countries, but in areas heavily populated by certain immigrant groups (read: Turks in Germany) there tends to be higher crime, lower employment (and people employed tend not to be CEO's of companies or executives generally), more cheap housing (which generally looks cheap and nasty), plus some other things that I just can't think of right now.

Dear diary,

I'm not sure if this is not going to be my last entry. I've been crouched down behind the garbage heaps for two days now. The locals seem to have become resistant to the armour piercing rounds that were recommended when we first moved here. The flak jackets are also useless. I took a direct hit from a two day old Brezen yesterday. Food supplies have run low and the local game is shy and impossible to track. The whole city is nothing more than a huge redlight district. Cannibalism is rife. I was approached by an obvious non-local yesterday, persistent, touting some reeking liquid. I shot him twice and he expired before I was forced to comprehend what ever heresy he was mouthing. The body is gone and with it any hope of stew, I think they dragged it off during the night, the ever present night. The only relief from the darkness are the trains, they pass constantly , light spilling from windows filled with silent commuters. I have to move while I have the energy to save myself, but the minefields are everywhere. That scraping noise have started again, closer now ...

"Excerpt of a notebook recovered from a paper recycling container near Neuperlach. The fate of the writer is unknown"

@blowwavedave: I am not sure if the tendency you mentioned is not more perceived than real.

Schwanthalerhöhe+Westend has the largest population density of any suburb in Munich; it also have one of the highest, if not the highest, proportion of immigrants.

I don't know about the rate of unemployment there, but crime is no higher, housing is not nasty and cheap, and the other things I can think of are great central location with fantastic public transport, great Turkish food shops (Döner as well as the fresh food variety), and (if you like that sort of thing :rolleyes: ) proximity to the Oktoberfest.

It may make a difference that the Turkish population is long-established in that area, but there is never any trouble and everyone is very friendly towards everyone else.

Having lived as a "whitey" in an exclusive immigrant (i.e. Turkish) area in Berlin, I can testify that these people are not exactly the kind that will make you feel welcome in their neighbourhood. And they were not asking my pro-immigration political credentials when looking for a target to vent their lives' frustrations. So I think the original poster who started the thread is wise to ask that question.

However, I agree with the previous posters that Munich does not have these kind of rough neighbourhoods (hence "Toytown"). Hasenberg and Neuperlach aren't ghettos, really.

One more part of town which should be on the list of somewhat disagreeable neighbourhoods is Pasing. It has facilities, transport, shopping but I found it somewhat boring and lacking in entertainment options. Also, it is a long stretch to go by bike along an ugly street (Landsbergerstrasse) if you want to go to the city center.

With migration background,

LSL

I would live in Neuperlach before Hasenburgl. I think. Even if it is on the other side of the river.

One more part of town which should be on the list of somewhat disagreeable neighbourhoods is Pasing. It has facilities, transport, shopping but I found it somewhat boring and lacking in entertainment options. Also, it is a long stretch to go by bike along an ugly street (Landsbergerstrasse) if you want to go to the city center.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for. I live in Pasing and think it's great. The bit around Landsbergerstr. is ugly, but once you leave that behind it's a very pleasant, green area where you can cycle straight into the countryside. It is quiet, but that's a plus for me, and there's an S-Bahn every three minutes that will bring me to Marienplatz in less than 15 mins - if you've ever lived in somewhere like London, that's nothing.

And we have excellent cycle routes into the city Centre - if a little circuitous.

But then I wouldn't want to live beyond Pasing - nice places, but a 20 min S-Bahn wait.

Yours, the Pasing Anti-Defamation League, waving clipboards furiously

Schwanthalerhöhe. ...

So, why did you think it should be avoided, Isar?

I've already stated my reasons for it being a good area in post #30 (I forgot to mention a growing restaurant and café scene).

Also I've had interesting bike experiences since moving to Munich. While living in Schwabing, my biked got stolen from inside my courtyard where it was chained to the metal fencing (they broke through the metal to take it). While living opposite the Outland in Haidhausen, I left my bike chained overnight to a lamppost and it got vandalized (before anyone asks, no I didn't have a kiwi-sticker on it :P ). Schwanthalerhöhe: I have regularly left it chained to a pole overnight and thing has ever happened to it. Not enough to make a statistic, but it made an impression on me :) .

Anyway, I'm not looking for a flatmate, so I don't mind if you don't want to move here.

Regarding public transport, Obermenzing and Untermenzing suffer from a distinct lack of U-Bahn; same goes for Denning(-East) and Englschakling.

i take it you've never been to either area :rolleyes: . Englschalking is served by the S-bahn which takes less than 20 mins to the hauptbahnhof. Denning west is served by Arabellapark U-bahn (11 mins to Hauptbahnhof) and Denning east by Daglfing S-bahn (16 mins to Hauptbahnhof). Plus, you also have excellent connections to the airport on the same line. Hardly bad connections, if you ask me.

So you agree that both areas suffer from a distinct lack of U-Bahn. Having cycled to work in that area for two years I most definitely have been there. If you do a search for S-Bahn disruption you will get loads of reading material, hence my emphasis on U-Bahn.

no, i don't agree at all that they suffer. The S8, being the airport line, suffers the least disruptions from the TEMPORARY construction works due to the second stammstrecke. And, if, on the odd occasion it is effected you can hop on a bus from Denning to Arabellpark or Richard Strauss Strasse.

Obermenzing and Untermenzing have been treated in a very cavalier fashion regarding U-Bahn services; same goes for Denning(-East) and Englschakling.

Better?

Suffering can be relative, I agree. Men don't suffer from premature ejaculation, women do.