Advice for a student coming to Hannover

6 posts in this topic

I am a 19 years old girl planning to study in Germany the next summer semster and I am doing the language course right now.

I wasnt able to apply on my own to the universities because of the language problem.

the office that I deal with here applied to three universities located in ( munich , hannover , dresden ) and I dont have any idea about the three of them

except that munich is very expensive.

I would like to know if its nice to study there in hannover for a college student and I am trying to limit the expenses as much as possible because

I am supporting myself and i have a certain amount of money ... .

i would like to know what is the cost of living in hannover for a student , and what is it like in universities dorm .

and the possibility of finding a student job and how much would it cover.

and ur advice on anything possible because I am clueless about how is it there in Germany.

thanks alot

I haven't lived in Munich or Dresden, but I do know a few people who now live in Hannover who used to live in Munich. Much of what I say here is based on things they've told me in the past. (A couple of them are here on Toytown, but they don't write much.)

Generally Munich's got the much more vibrant English-speaking scene and nightlife, but yes, it's insanely expensive (especially compared to Hannover). One of the most expensive German cities to live in. Also rather hard to find places to live, from what I understand; meanwhile in Hannover it's pretty easy to find an inexpensive apartment in walking distance from the university campus.

One nice thing about Hannover is that it is not only inexpensive, but it's also a hub for rail, car and air, so you can quickly get to other places for day trips. Berlin and Hamburg are both an hour and a half away by train, for example. It's also easy to pop up to the North Sea coast for the weekend or head over to Amsterdam.

Hannover is also an incredibly green city (some study claimed it's the greenest in Germany by area), so if you like biking, jogging, or walking, Hannover's ideal. Bike paths are everywhere, including through the extensive city forest. While the ex-pat community is smaller than Munich's, it's still pretty active (don't let the lack of traffic on Toytown fool you). There are at least three ex-pat groups that I know of, with further English-speaking groups around as well.

So while the nightlife might not be as exciting as Munich's, I'd say for a student Hannover has more to offer as a place to stay simply because it's more affordable and thus in reach. But it really depends on what you're looking for.

Of course, the same could probably be said for Dresden, but I don't know the city at all and don't know anyone who's lived there.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your studies!

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Thank you very much for the valuable information! its a very useful forum with a lot of nice people.

According to the information you have given me I think I am going to like it there.

I am more into nature and green than bars and nightlife.

I actually noticed the lack of activity in this part of the forum but as long as there are some groups that speak English then I will be fine.

after reading the information provided in this forum I also considered applying to Frieburg ...

but what matters to me the most is the cost of living??

have you got any idea about the approx spending for a student in hannover???

and if i can possibly find a student job there in hannover?? my german is nothing more than ok yet.

and Ive heard of the university of gottingen if i am not mistaken , is it located in hannover or is it considered in another part?

I appreciate your help!

but what matters to me the most is the cost of living??

have you got any idea about the approx spending for a student in hannover???

If you don't live in the dorms, you should be able to find a room in a Wohnungsgemeinschaft or WG -- that is, share an apartment with other students -- for around €100-150 a month. WGs tend to be self-sustaining, that is, there are often WGs where one member moved out, and they are looking for someone to fill the empty room. Often the student union can provide contacts or just check the bulletin boards.

Food-wise, you can eat at the Mensa (student cafeteria). Been a while since I've eaten at one, but the meals are dirt cheap, something like €3 for a complete meal for students with ID. The food is also decent -- nothing exciting, but certainly not bad. Other than that, there are various discounter supermarkets -- Penny-Markt, Aldi, Lidl and so on -- that sell food very cheaply, so you ought to get by on €5-10 a day on food, though meat is generally very expensive (most people I know don't eat anywhere near as much meat as Americans are used to).

Telephone and Internet plans are generally much cheaper than in the US. If you're in a WG, you can split the cost of the phone line with your roommates, but even an all-round flat rate package including telephone and DSL will run you no more than €50/month. With that you can call most of Europe and all of North America at no additional cost; for €5 more, some providers also offer a flat-rate cellphone plan (though you'd have to buy your own cellphone).

Once again if you're in a WG, you can split the costs for TV cable (which IIRC is around €14/month).

If you use the public transport, you can get a monthly pass for around €60/month, though that's only worth it if you use it almost daily. (Bonus of the monthly pass: In the evenings and on weekends, you can take a friend along for free.) A day pass costs €3.90, a 90-minute ticket €2.

You can also buy used and refurbished bikes in many bike shops around town. Hannover is a very compact and flat city, with lots of bike paths, so it's ideal for bikers. You can also take your bike on the public transport most of the day (except at peak traffic hours).

In general, eating out is rather more expensive here than in America, but there are some cafés and restaurants that cater to students. The Mezzo near the Raschplatz is one such place -- they have really inexpensive food and drinks there.

and if i can possibly find a student job there in hannover?? my german is nothing more than ok yet.

Be careful about working here. If you're here as an American on a student visa, officially you're not allowed to take a paying job. Most get by that by working and getting paid under the table, such as babysitting or tutoring English. You may be able to get a visa that allows you to work, but it's unlikely.

and Ive heard of the university of gottingen if i am not mistaken , is it located in hannover or is it considered in another part?

Göttingen is a city about an hour south of Hannover, so yes, it's a different city and university.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Hi just wondered if you did move to hannover as im about to move there with my parents im 20 and going to be living in braunchweig, are u having a good time x