Anyone here keep chickens?

53 posts in this topic

I am angling to be allowed some chickens at home. Does anyone here already have chickens? I only want a couple of silkies but her indoors keep saying they will smell etc. Also some discussions online about chickens in the cold of winter. Seems that if you keep the drafts away they should be fine without heating (although silkies are not the hardiest).

post-910-1221506551.jpg

yes I always wanted chooks too. And a goat. But am only "allowed" a cat and dog here.

You might need to check to see whether there are any bird flu problems. No idea, just when I wanted to buy a large turkey from the market at Christmas, the guy who was recommended said that he wasn't keeping them at the mo due to the bird flu.

It depends how big the garden is - keep a few chickens on your balcony and they'll probably make it smell, but put them in a decent size garden and she won't notice anything and the chickens will busy themselves with turning garden insects (usually pests, bad for the garden) into manure (good for the garden). They will eat certain plants so it's a good idea to keep them to their own area away from her prized shrubs but they should more than make up for that by the fresh eggs the plants will become. Of course you need a hen house too. As you probably know keeping chickens in gardens has become a real trend in the UK so I'm sure there's a wealth of information on gardening sites about that, and it's something I've wanted to since I were a lad so let me know how you get on talking the Mrs. round ;)

Very exciting and something I want to do someday too.

Don't know about keeping them in Germany (but there's a farmer who sells poultry at the market on Saturday mornings at Pfalzplatz who's good for a chat if you catch her when it's not too busy).

For general advice two UK based forums which are great are River Cottage and INEBG.

My other half kept chickens all his life, as did most of his neighbours. The chickens themselves were fine, but the bloody roosters were a nightmare every morning - one rooster would start off, and set off every rooster in the neighbourhood. It was a competition between them to see who could be the loudest. The minute you turned on a light in the house and they saw it, they thought it was morning and would start off again, even if it was 2am. It was pure torture to me, but everyone else seemed to be completely used to it and slept on.

Then the other consequence of having a rooster was the sudden appearance of lots of little chicks - the number shot from 2 chickens to over 20 in 1 year when we were too busy to keep a good eye on the hens! The chickens had free reign of the garden, and they tried their best to hide their eggs - it was a competition between the chickens and the humans as to whether the eggs would be found early enough. All very cute, but at some point it got a bit impractical, so the rooster went on a little one-way-trip.

But keeping the chickens wasn't that difficult, they were funny to watch and the eggs were great. Watch out for mice/rats in the hen house and chicken feed though. It does get smelly in the hen house too. And foxes etc. are something to keep an eye on, particularly if you get a rooster and chicks appear.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Just remembered some more stuff - you're supposed to clip their wings, but I couldn't stand that part. If you want more information about general care I can put you in touch with Mr Dreamer.

Go out and get them...

I am sure Mrs English will soon change her mind...

If not, then I know what you will be having for dinner for the next few weeks! :blink:

i would love to have a couple of chickens. also, a few sheep. too bad there is no room in my wg. :blink:

We had chickens when I was growing up. I lived in a suburb part of MIlwaukee WI. We kept our chickens in a little 'chicken shack' behind the house and next to our garage. I remember waking up in the mornings and grabbing eggs from the shack and bringing them inside to have my mom make breakfast.

If you know WI, it get much colder there than it does here in Germany (much colder!). Our chicken shack didn't have any heating in it (or not that I can remember). What I do remember as a downside of having chickens, was the mess. Besides the mess, those are some really fun animals and great memories from childhood.

I'm looking at getting some chickens too. But I was thinking about Orpingtons. I've found a reasonably priced henhouse and run that I'm very tempted by.

Did any of the wannabe-egg-farmers actually go ahead and get any? Any experiences/hints/etc.?

So does anyone here actually have chickens? Other than for dinner?

We're planning to have some - about to move to countryside near Osnabrück - but don't yet know much about legal issues (is there a limit on how many you can keep? do you need to register them?) and what about foxes? Are there as many as in the UK - what without the red-coated brigade chasing them to death in fun(?) ?

Can anyone recommend any sites where I can find out about Smallholding in Germany?

Thanks

The chickens had free reign of the garden, and they tried their best to hide their eggs - it was a competition between the chickens and the humans

I remember this game from my grandparents' farm when I wasn't much bigger than a chicken. Got a few sharp pecks from the fiesty little sods. My mother kept a very interesting article from one of the British newspapers describing how to keep chickens in a domestic garden - main point seemed to be to choose traditional breeds as 'modern' breeds are created with egg or meat production in mind and this makes them voracious eaters. I'll post the breeds and links when I remember.

Talking of ei-pods reminds me of these people in the UK who do very funky chicken houses that look like the original i-macs that Apple did around 10 years ago. Omlet

I always thought a great name for a futuristically designed chicken house here in Germany would be the "Ei Pod"

Brilliant