Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy Indian foods in Nuremberg

13 posts in this topic

Dear all:

Does any one know where in Nuremberg one may buy Indian sweets and savories (like Samosas), especially if one wants them in bulk? I checked with a couple of restaurants for Samosas, but it is damn expensive, especially if you want to buy in bulk (huge amounts, say 50 / 60 pieces).

Any info in this direction would be welcome.

Thanks and Cheers:)

Bhuvan

Try here:

Asia Food Center‎

Fürther Str. 40A, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany - 0911 2726390

I find it has a good selection when I am looking for Indian stuff.

I was going to say go along Fürtherstr until you see the Asian shop with a Sikh. He has fresh samosa that are really nice, and cheap. I'm pretty sure that's the same place as recommended above.

Yep I guess the same, too!!! I contacted an Indian Restaurant (don't wanna mention the name lest I should appear biased :(), and they quoted EUR 1,75 apiece (for a samosa)!!! Multiply it by 50 and I am screwed, especially when I am sure that it is possible to get Samosas (and sweets) for a much cheaper price. I will try this shop...

Thanks a lot and Cheers :)

M.A.M is right that is the place. They also have packs of Frozen stuff but you have to dig around in the freezer, not very well displayed. Also have fresh vegetables occasionally

Hi...

Thanks a lot for the responses. I checked at the said shop. Was disappointed, as the person at the counter was lackluster and did not seem to be interested when I wanted to order fresh samosas.

First, he did not even bother to hear what I wanted, when I tried to explain to him in English that I would like 70 samosas to be freshly made and be collected on Wednesday. Though I am an Indian, I speak very little Hindi, though I can understand much of it, and when he found I was a "Madrasi" (a derogatory term used for South Indians), he became even more dis-interested.

When I told him that in addition I wanted some sweets and if he had any, he replied rudely "just go round the corner and see for yourself if there is anything". When I needed to know if he had or could order additional sweet boxes, he just replied "we only have what u see" Fine, but could you please order some more, say by the end of the week? "I told you what I had to".

I then found some of the sweet boxes open and some pieces missing, and some boxes which he offered were simply open. When I brought it to his notice (why did I do it? bad of me :(), he just shrugged and said: "so what? I can also see it!!!"

Well, whatever some people may comment, like why should I bother how he behaves, I still feel that this is not the treatment I would expect as a customer. What irritated me the most was that he was telling a Punjabi lady there (who speaks the same language as him, the language being not much different from Hindi in many ways) something derogatory about South Indians like me not being able to speak Hindi, and people like me only asking questions and not interested in buying anything. (As I said earlier, I can understand Hindi though I can not speak it fluently.)

This, just 5 minutes after I had placed an order for 70 fresh samosas, which actually was not exactly a minor order, in addition to having taken some sweet boxes and ready to pay.

When I saw this, I was just plain pis*ed off, and told him that I would call him again tomorrow to confirm the order, and changed my mind about paying the advance then and there for the order. I would not be buying it from him now.

------------------------------------------------------

What is painful is that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Some Indians would testify to this fact that some Indian shops / restaurants treat Indians as unwanted nuisance, compared to westerner customers (not just Germans) who in their view deserve more respect. I do not lay a blanket blame on all Indian shops, but surely some of us have seen this situation in quite a few shops around Germany.

I wonder if I could use the word "racism" in this regard!!! Strangely though, most people would disagree, simply because both the perpetrator and the victim are of the same "race" here!!!

UPDATE: By the way, I managed to find another shop that not only sells Samosas for a lesser price, but one that treats its customers like they should be - with equal respect irrespective of whether they are eastern or western!!!

Cheers :)

Sorry that happened to you - sounds a nightmare. Don't know if he was being ''southernist'' or just a git. It sounds like a lot of the customer ahem..service I sometimes get both here and in the UK. Hell, don't let it get to you: you did the right thing and voted with your feet. Hope your samosas are tasty - if so post the shop you did end up using here and I'll give 'em a whirl.

Please share the location of the other shop.

I thought his disinterest was because I can not speak German and he never seemed to respond to my English.

If this is the shop across the road from the "Gostenhof" underground station then Ive been there several times and I can confirm they are just as miserable when someone who is apparently German (or at least European) is in there, so its not just you. There do seem to be a group of different people who serve there and some are more friendly than others, but the older Sikh guy Ive had serve me a few times is just generally unfriendly, I think.

They have some good tinned/dried/frozen stuff though.

andy M

Please share the location of the other shop.

I thought his disinterest was because I can not speak German and he never seemed to respond to my English.

Hi:

The shop where I got the stuff was a Sri Lankan one called "Mandela Malathy" shop, or some similar name, on Landgrabenstrasse (door number I am not sure of). This is right next door to another probably better-known Indian shop called Gandhi Asia shop. You can reach there by Tram Lines 6 or 8, and alight at the stop Christuskirche.

There you can either buy the frozen samosas which can either be deep-fried in oil on a pan, or heated in a Microwave. As an alternative, you can also order fresh samosas which the lady there will order for you. I never tried the shop next-door to it (i.e. Gandhi Asia shop), so am not sure if you get it in that shop, too. But in this Mandela Malathy shop you will surely get it.

You can see it on the main road (Landgrabenstrasse) itself.

Yummy times with your samosas. Cheers :)

If this is the shop across the road from the "Gostenhof" underground station then Ive been there several times and I can confirm they are just as miserable when someone who is apparently German (or at least European) is in there, so its not just you. There do seem to be a group of different people who serve there and some are more friendly than others, but the older Sikh guy Ive had serve me a few times is just generally unfriendly, I think.

They have some good tinned/dried/frozen stuff though.

andy M

Yes the shop in question, where I got my queer experience, is exactly the one right in front of Gostenhof U-Bahn - Asian Food Center or something like that. And the guy in question is the same old Sikh guy. Sad to hear that many others have received the same treatment. Will do better to improve their "customer relations".

Cheers :)

Hi there you Folks!! :)

I´ve checkt out that store Location in question and I must say, that they do have quite a few products there but are a bit too expensive for me.

I´ve taken a picture of its location just to show some of you its location to orient yourself where it may be and so on, so it´s easyer to be found. But you may also get off right at the Subway station Plärrer or Tram station and walk from there towards that store or take the Bus to i, walk towards that store on the left street side against the traffic stream or just go by subway (U-Bahn 1) towards Gostenhof and get off there.

You may also take the Bus, it then gets you almost off at that Asian store.

You then just need to cross the street there to get to it. In the photograph, you will see that Bus Stop sign, where to get off!

KopievonBild001_zps4083112e.jpg

sincerly

The Markiss ;)