19 posts in this topic

Are friends someone:

- you can count on in time of need or despair,

- you can go clubbing with any day of the week,

- you can trust and tell all of your deepest secrets,

- who understands you and doesn't judge you,

- who regularly telephones you to talk about any subject,

- etc...

These are some examples. What's your definition of a friend?

I agree with those. I'd say that trust and non-judgmentalism were the most important ones. Plus, I'd say it was someone:

- whose company you enjoy, and who enjoys your company,

- who's willing to make time for you.

A friend is also somebody who you can not see for ages, but when you do meet again, it is as though you saw each other yesterday. Somebody who will tell you the truth without any self interest. Somebody who if you need help will be there immediately with all kinds of support.

all friends are not equal and can range from being little more than an acquaintance to best buds. its hard put them in boxes and stick labels on them. I treat all mine individually.

Friend for me really is synonymous with acquaintance but there are levels of friends like good, best etc.

Friend is someone that hangs out with you not only when it's fun too and you're happy but also when you need support and understanding,

one that doesnt hit on the guys/gals you do (just out of respect) and tries to keep you company when you need, not only when he/she needs it.

A friend

- is honest to me when everyone else is not - i.e. criticises to my face, not behind my back.

- If I ask, What do you think, tells me what they do think, not what I might want to hear.

- doesn´t lie to me because they "don´t want to hurt/upset me"

- allows me an opinion, too

- encourages

- tells me I´m silly when I, having watched Blade III, refuse to go into the cellar unaccompanied ;-)

A friend is someone who presses the "add as a friend" button on your Facebook/Myspace page.

I agree with those. I'd say that trust and non-judgmentalism were the most important ones. Plus, I'd say it was someone:

- whose company you enjoy, and who enjoys your company,

- who's willing to make time for you.

For some reason, my message has been edited, so that it looks as if I agree with the entire list. I agree with only three of the criteria and not with "you can go clubbing with any day of the week" or "who regularly telephones you to talk about any subject".

A friend is someone with true wingman qualities (as described in The Wingman's Handbook), who will selflessly sleep with a fat munter if it allows you to get the hottie.

Though it's pretty obvious, I also think that a friend is someone who is genuinely interested in you and how things are going for you.

A true friend shows up at your darkest hour - funerals, job loss, or heartaches and makes you laugh at yourself or your challenges.

I'm an 80's guy. Friendship to me means that for 2 dollars I would beat you with a pool stick until you got detached retinas.

Actually I was only born in 81, I missed out on the fun unmitigated greed and blow. Fortunately I also missed out on the music and fashion.

:P a friend is someone who you can trust with all your inner most feelings, and you with theres, and they dont through it back at you?