The printing press vs. the Internet

26 posts in this topic

This arguement debate came up last night at my house and there was no clear winner. Which do you suppose, for it's time and place, has had a greater impact- the printing press or the internet?

Fantastic question.

The printing press took education away from the religious keepers and eventually educated the world.

The Internet takes education away from the political keepers and may eventually educated the world without the political interference it now has.

The Internet is a baby. It's really not fair to compare yet. If it goes where I hope the Internet will it will blow away the printing press though.

I would have to say the internet, due to the amount of new information being able to be accessed and sent, as opposed to the printing press which only really replaced handwriting. Yes, a time saver but only for multiple identical documents.

Comparing the telephone to the internet however, that would be very interesting...

I think you're underestimating the printing press somewhat; after Martin Luther nailed his theses to the church door in Wittenburg in 1518, some 300,000 copies were printed over the next few years. You can't do that by hand. Without the printing press, the Reformation would never have happened. As Pas alluded to, he then translated the Bible into German, so that the plebs could make up their own minds about God's intent.

I think that both have had an enormous impact, but to say which is more important is very difficult.

The printing press had without doubt a massive effect for its time...

but it can in no way compare to the internet in terms of the speed and cost at which the information can be disseminated. Those factors alone change the established playing field in innumerable ways.

This is the reason, in my humble opinion, that these "policy makers" are moving towards tighter internet regulation.

It depends how you define impact. I automatically skip over any adverts in the internet (especially if they're flashing in bright lights) but when reading a magazine I find that I acnnot overlook them 100% of the time. I also prefer reading books to e-books. For me, the written form generally makes more of an impact than the aural form as I remember facts a lot better if I've seen them written down - whether on the internet or printed.

While the internet is a lot of fun, the printing press gave the impetus to allowing the masses to become literate, which in turn empowered them to change things as they now didn't have to rely on others telling them what was going on, they could read it themselves. The internet just speeds up the reading process, but without the printing prees most people wouldn't be able to read it in the first place.

The internet just speeds up the reading process, but without the printing prees most people wouldn't be able to read it in the first place.

I think the internet might be a bit sad to hear that people just think it speeds up reading.

Depends what you mean in the original post with "time and place". I don't really know but is it possible that the printing press didn't have that much immediate impact on the masses - but had more of a gradual effect as people learnt to read. If one says the Inetrnet is about 20 years old then I would guess that it has had more impact in 20 years than the early printing presses did

Printing press - it allowed the spread of ideas which in turn created a need for literacy without which we could not gain from all the wonderful, reliable, information available on the inter thingy. :P

That's a bit like saying the "wagon vs. automobile". They both have had a huge impact when they first emerged that are incomparable to one another.

In a modern context, I think a newspaper carries more weight than say an internet site, because any schmuck can start a blog, whereas a newspaper i think is more tightly bound to journalistic responsibility.

I also think that the internet makes it more difficult to find reliable information. The politics discussion forums on TT are a great example that. BUT, it does enable other viewpoints to be heard, whereas your letter to the editor can simply thrown out or ignored, for example.

That's a bit like saying the "wagon vs. automobile".

Train vs. car, we would say in Europe!

In a modern context, I think a newspaper carries more weight than say an internet site, because any schmuck can start a blog, whereas a newspaper i think is more tightly bound to journalistic responsibility.

Yes, but a quick look at Fox "News" and the rest of the Murdoch empire shows that this isn't necessarily the case. You have to take everything with a pinch of salt.

yes, fair enough. But Fox news is quite obviously ridiculous for anyone with half a brain.

Someone posted a jpg of a Fox News story with on-screen text to the effect of:

Obama - Biden

Osama bin Laden

Connection?

Just like the print magazine National Enquirer has no credibility.

The Internet and the printing press are basically the same idea on different scales.

Printing press AND internet are part of the organic growth of our civilization. When I was a in school I never used a telefon,had a radio in the house and the light was a 15 watt light bulb. Some cars still had the gear shift on the outside of the car and the volkswagen was invented in 1938- what an advancement then! My son studied computer science in the early 1980s (I still have his operational Mcintosch in my basement) and my grandson has been playing with computer games since he was 3 years old.

Pretty soon we can drop our limbs as we will be operating with our brains only, sad part is will the enjoyment of a beer or a kiss be gone too? :mellow:

The printing press.

Think of the impact on political propaganda. The pamphlets that started revolutions. The heads being cut off...

We could do without the internet (Toytowners excluded of course), as long as we still had the printing technology.

Although the comparison is a bit unfair, as it is much easier to look back and see how the invention of the printing press has changed history, whereas we dont know where the internet will still take us. (My guess is nowhere - like tv it´s just brainless entertainment until global warming drowns us all or the oil shortage throws us back into the middle ages. ;) )

The printing press. Without a doubt. It took education and knowledge out of secular hands and allowed us to think for ourselves.

The internet is having the opposite effect. The lazy dumbing down is enormous, people googleing and wiki-ing instead of reading and understanding from proper sources. I have heard of certain schools banning the internet. Peoples over reliance on it is becomeing painful in some cases. Just look at some of the requests posted here.

I also hate e-mails as the primary form of communication.

I also hate e-mails as the primary form of communication.

But look at the simplicity and the cost saving of it. You also should like it if you are a 'Umweltschuetzer', look at all the trees you saved and carbon prevented.