SMTP server name for Kabel Deutschland

22 posts in this topic

My internet service is provided by Kabel Deutschland. I always use web mail, but I have guests staying with me that would like to send email from their email client, Outlook. I looked at all the kabel deutschland material I was given, and it appears that smtp.kabelmail.de is the smtp server, but it doesn't seem to be working; my guests get an error message when they try to send mail. They thought perhaps they had to turn on some sort of authentication, but I have no idea what the username or password would be. The only username and password I have is the one I use to sign on to the Kabel Deutschland website. Can anyone help us figure this out? I tried calling Kabel Deutschland, but 1) my German was not really sufficient to discuss this sort of technical topic, and 2) I kept getting disconnected. Any suggestions?

F: Kann ich meine E-Mails über mein E-Mail-Programm (z.B. Outlook) abrufen?

Ja, mit einer POP3/SMTP fähigen E-Mail-Software können Sie die Nachrichten Ihres Accounts auch mit

Ihrer E-Mail-Software abfragen und versenden. Folgende Eintragungen müssen dort vorgenommen

werden:

1. POP3-Server: pop3.kabelmail.de

2. SMTP-Server: smtp.kabelmail.de

3. Anmelde- bzw. Kontoname: Ihr Benutzername (Beispiel: "Muster.Mann@kabelmail.de", wenn Ihre E-Mail-Adresse bei Kabel E-Mail "Muster.Mann@kabelmail.de" lautet)

4. Passwort: Ihr Passwort bei Kabel E-Mail. Dieses können Sie im Bereich "Konfiguration" einstellen.

Source: http://www.kabeldeutschland.de/templates/m...abel_E-Mail.pdf

Hope your German is ok enough to understand the above...otherwise try Google Translate.

Hmm, so if the smtp server I've entered is correct, why am I still getting an error message? I'm not sure I even have a Kabel E-mail password, as I don't remember every setting one up.

Why not contact KD, ya know, the people who actually own and operate the server..

Hmm, so if the smtp server I've entered is correct, why am I still getting an error message? I'm not sure I even have a Kabel E-mail password, as I don't remember every setting one up.

I have Freenet- my Web-mail user and password is the same for my POP3 email. Try that.

Hmm, so if the smtp server I've entered is correct, why am I still getting an error message? I'm not sure I even have a Kabel E-mail password, as I don't remember ever setting one up.

I think you already know the solution to your problem ;). I have no idea about KD but think:

1. You need to register on the 'Kundenservicecenter':

https://www.kabeldeutschland.de/csc/login

2. Kabel Email link will become unlocked. Then I assume you configure your Kabel Email with a new password.

From the German comments below it indicates that you can activtate or buy the Kabel E-Mail packet. So it could be the case that you don't have this as part of your subscription.

Sofort nach erfolgreicher Registrierung steht Ihnen Ihr Zugang zum Kundenportal "Mein Kabel Deutschland" und damit auch Ihr Kabel E-Mail-Zugang zur Verfügung. Dort können Sie Ihr Kabel E-Mail-Paket freischalten oder bestellen. Ihre Zugangsdaten für die kostenlose Registrierung im Kundenportal erhalten Sie mit Ihrer Auftragsbestätigung.

So einfach geht's: Sie klicken auf "Internetdienste/Kabel E-Mail" und anschließend auf "Jetzt konfigurieren". Folgen Sie den Anweisungen auf dem Bildschirm und legen Sie ein Passwort fest. Sie geben außerdem an, auf welchem Weg (E-Mail, SMS, Fax, Brief) Sie Ihre Auftragsbestätigung erhalten möchten - und schon können Sie loslegen!

Umfangreiche Unterstützung bei technischen Fragen finden Sie unter dem Menüpunkt "Hilfe" in Ihrem Kabel E-Mail-Portal.

Source: https://www.kabeldeutschland.de/csc/login/f...pic/kabel_email

(So many different links for Kabel Email)

No, I definitely get the basic Kabel E-Mail packet with my package deal. I ended up signing up for an email account, and getting a password, but my guests still couldn't send out mail from Outlook, even after entering the smtp server, my email address and password. They left, so there's no urgency, but I would like to get this figured out for next time they come.

I set up my Kabeldeutschland email in Outlook 2007 using the instructions given in their Hilfe section under the kundenportal. It works fine.

My problem is with my other, main email address through my Kabeldeutschland broadband. I can receive email fine using pop3 but cannot send out email through the smtp. I have contacted Kabeldeutschland for settings and they said to contact my ISP for the other email. The ISP says to get the settings from Kabeldeutschland.

I assume I need Kabeldeutschland settings as it is through their broadband/server I am trying to send messages. The ones from their Hilfe section don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you considred the problem might be with your Outlook settings? You might have clicked a box or entered something which is not applicable/ possible.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an English Outlook, and it would be too long-winded to explain which boxes I mean (Microsoft often uses quite different terms). But if you are new to computers and/or Outlook, post the settings you have made here on TT (nothing personal of course). Also, run a test of the settings. There is a button for this purpose in the window where you entered the email details. After a couple of seconds a further window will appear with an error message. What does it say?

Thank you for your help. I tried testing the settings, changing the settings, etc. I have another email address that works fine.

Kabel deutschland tell me I need to contact my isp from home (who provide the email address). The company at home tell me I have to get the server settings from Kabeldeutschland!! So stale-mate!

Can't see how Kabeldeutschland can be expected to know the server settings for every email provider you might potentialy use. You should be able to get the settings from the email company's web-site. They must have set-up help, no?

No. You should be able to SEND email using the ISP you are connected (in this case KD) independent of the email address you are using. The SMTP server from KD should relay email from any IP belonging the them.

I will know more about this problem when KD finally manages to setup my connection (3 weeks, 2 visits and counting) and I plan to use it to send email for all my domain names.

should relay email from any IP belonging the them.

Not always true.. Some ISP's restrict this access from their Dial-up IP Blocks

to block/prevent the sending of Spam or other UCE.

Thanks for all the advice. It is Kabeldeutschland's server I should be using as they are my ISP here. I do understand that some ISPs block access to stop Spam but I really need to send emails from my email address!

I am interested to see how Krieg gets on.

I got my connection finally yesterday. I did not have lot of time to play with the thing, but here are my conclusions for the moment (I might be still wrong):

- KD only allows to send emails from their own addresses (this is very shitty)

- KD does not have any relay / smarthost service

How I manage to delivery my email from my non-KD addresses?

I run my own SMTP server.

Hi.

Been a long tme since I checked this forum. Had to give up on trying to get home email address to send via KD. Have to use mail2web instead. Working ok but pity I couldn't send via Outlook. Receiving fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just saw this thread - I have Kabel BV Cable internet and can send mail fine using outgoing server as smtp.gmail.com

Don't know if that helps!

I've been thinking about switching to Kabel Deutschland, so I did a search on TT for feedback and turned up this thread.

What exactly is the issue with their email set-up? Do they give you a normal POP 3 account, with send-receive over SMTP? If I go with them, I want to be able to simply switch to the new accounts and carry on using Outlook . Is this too much to hope for?

They provide you a KD email account and you can use it.

You can't use their SMTP server to send email from non-KD accounts (i.e. me@gerrym.com).

I managed to circumvent the problem by running my own SMTP server but at the end it was useless because many mail providers rejects emails from SMTP servers that reverse-lookup as dynamic IPs (whose KD's are), i.e. Google Mail rejects them.