Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are the Germans good at flirting?

28 posts in this topic

I'm a chinese girl. I had an impression that germen people are serious and not so easy-going(relatively).

But after I made some german friends I found that compared with traditional chinese people they are so used to flirting.

Normally we only flirt with our lovers or the one who is going to be. But the object for them are much more.

Sometimes it makes me embarrassing and do not know how to react well.

Maybe it is the difference between east and west?

btw: I live in China.

Well, the last sentence says it all.

Since you live in China, that means those Germans are on holidays.

From what I have seen so far, Germans on holidays act very differently than back home.

They are more open, more friendly, and as you mention it ... flirty.

Remember what they say: "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"

As long as you pay attention to their motives you should be fine!

From what I have seen so far, Germans on holidays act very differently than back home.

This characteristic is true for a number of nationalities...

Since you live in China, that means those Germans are on holidays.

Thats it! I absolutely agree - that is typical Germans-on-holiday-behavior. :)

Not every German in China is a tourist ... thousands are living/working/studying there more or less "permanently"

yeah, miwild is right.

None of my german friends is tourist.

All of them are studying and working here.

But I guess it is also as Giovanni said, they are not in their normal state.

So what is the normal state of german?

I'm curious. :unsure:

My personal experience as a female is that the men in the south of Germany are more flirtatious than the reserved folks here up north.

just go with the flow and enjoy the ride!

just go with the flow and enjoy the ride!

But I have the feeling she does not appreciate the flirty stuff so no point telling her to enjoy the ride.

hehe, I'm just not used to it and don't know how to deal with well.

Because if I flirt back, I would be considered random in my education.

But if I treat it seriously, it is too stupid.

Sometimes I told them our difference, while sometimes just skip it.

Anyway, I respect your custom.

BTW I like my german friends.

In fact maybe I will have an oppotunity to do some cooperation project in germany in months.

Hope everything goes well.

Because if I flirt back, I would be considered random in my education.

LOL! What the heck is "random in education?"

Flirting is testing the waters. Does this person have a sense of humor? Could this person maybe find me attractive?

However, often it's just for a bit of fun. Best to flirt with a "potential lover," or you could end up making out with someone who's not that serious, and just up for an evening of fun. Which is fine if you're up for it.

I need to make a shirt: FLIRT. RANDOM IN MY EDUCATION. I'd like to see what sort of an evening would come about wearing that one.

haha, you are funny. I know the situation you described.

I have watched and read a lot from west. I saw the culture gap.

There was a famous ancient educator named Kong Zi. He represented chinese traditional education. Most people consider he is the teacher of chinese people.

He said that women and men should not touch each other.( except the couple of course)

Nowadays we are not so strict with the touching things. But the effect still there.

It is not so easy to explain the situation in Chinese education in a sentence, and I'm afraid my explaination would make you take the wrong way.

Anyway, we are not weirdoes. ;)

I'm afraid my explaination would make you take the wrong way.

And you don't want to be taken the wrong way. At least not on the first date.

Ha! I am sure that you aren't weirdos! It just sounds really funny the way you put it in English. (The mind boggles.) Please try to explain, even if you think you might lead us in the wrong direction. Either we will learn something, or have another giggle. It's hard to translate things, I know, but it is also fun to enjoy the mistranslations!

I don't really know what to say to you. Flirting should be enjoyable, but sometimes people with soft hearts get hurt, when flirting doesn't lead to anything deep. This is why it's thrilling, and dangerous. We are led with our hopes, but often they are dashed. I think it's probably easier on the heart if one doesn't flirt until one is pretty sure that the other is open to a future with you and so the flirting is all good fun with a lovely future. I think the Chinese are luckier than us, because we in the West are much more used to disappointment.

By the way, I'm an American, and don't have a lot of experience with flirting Germans. Just one, and he's bad! (Good at flirting and teasing.)

And you don't want to be taken the wrong way. At least not on the first date.

"Taken" is an archaic (old-fashioned) term. A woman who is "taken" is a woman who has been made love to.

So you can see that this gentleman was being very sarcastic and naughty, indeed.

Funf, thank you for the nice explaination and sweet encouraging.

I know we should enjoy the flirting thing. We do it sometimes and I know the beautiful feeling. But normally just to the ones who we are sure interested in, and in private.(shy to be watched by anyone else.)

And maybe I could be counted in the type of old-fashioned chinese. Because many young chinese are very different from what I describe.

Ah, there is another thing I want to mention.

When the west people come here, their flirting could be a dangerous "weapon".

You see flirting is not that common for chinese.

When you do this, people who got the signal may take it more serious then you thought.

Although most of us know the west people are flirtier than us.

Maybe you became a casanova breaking many hearts without awareness.

;p

Well, Alice, you at least are aware of potential dangers! I wish you a sincere flirter/suitor! As for being unaware of what a Casanova some can be, you are right. People learn to flirt to get attention. They may be good at it and enjoy the high, without thinking of their affect on others. It's true, we flirt like we eat in the West--without balance!

Best wishes to you! German men are SO handsome that it's hard not to flirt, huh? Still, I hope you find "the one" without too much heartbreak! (I hope this for myself as well!)