My neighbor's smoke is bothering me

206 posts in this topic

@akdoc though I'm positive I'm one of the idiot trolls to whom you refer, I will still respond to you :) (it is weird how I was just thinking about this thread, gosh it is old now!)

Well, I know why I was thinking of it--because I have a new-ish neighbor who chain smokes all day on her balcony and she starts real early too--Because Reasons I already sleep wearing ear plugs and a sleeping mask, but she still manages to wake me up with the smell of her cigarettes at fucking 7 o'clock in the morning.  Then she turns on her shitty music and screams on her cell phone while chain smoking on the balcony all day and late into the evening.  If she weren't otherwise so pleasant-seeming, I'd hate her.  And I was thinking of this thread and how somewhere in it I told someone to move out to the country if they didn't like living around other people and I'd not want them as a neighbor either and thinking back on some of the things I wrote (so long ago!) in that smoking neighbor thread, what hilariously cruel irony that I have all new neighbors in the meantime who are all driving me crazy in one way or another and I have to bitterly laugh: well, guess I have to move out to the country now.  buh.

ANYHOW

I digressed.  A smoke alarm isn't going to go off because of cigarette smoke, genius.  Not even if you were smoking right underneath it.  

Also, your neighbor is almost certainly aware that your passive aggressive slamming of the door is aimed at him, but, he doesn't GAF.  It is not as if he would stop smoking on his balcony even if you asked him politely with cookies and presents and balloons and a hug, he certainly isn't going to stop because his neighbor slams some stuff around.  Maybe he just reckons you don't know your own strength :lol:

But I do feel for you.  I've also had textiles in my bedroom smelling like smoke that shouldn't, because I don't smoke in my bedroom.  My neighbor does, though.  It's fucking irritating.  Especially in summer.  I hate it.  But I don't see what I can do about it.  And honestly I wouldn't even try.  At some point she will drop dead at the rate she smokes (SO much) and then I'll have some peace for a bit while they renovate the apartment.

9 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

your neighbor is almost certainly aware that your passive aggressive slamming of the door is aimed at him, but, he doesn't GAF.  It is not as if he would stop smoking on his balcony even if you asked him politely with cookies and presents and balloons and a hug, he certainly isn't going to stop because his neighbor slams some stuff around

I wasn't expecting the door slamming to accomplish much...thanks for the input, genius...

Anyhow

I digressed...

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

If she weren't otherwise so pleasant-seeming, I'd hate her. 

It's ok to hate her anyway.

9 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

At some point she will drop dead at the rate she smokes

I thought I read somewhere that second-hand smoke is more dangerous than actual smoking, so make sure to take care of yourself.

We exchanged numbers with the guy downstairs so he could let us know when he’s out on the balcony smoking, but of course he never remembers, and now that we’ve got a newborn, I just keep the doors to the balcony closed. My husband suggested texting him when we want to eat on the balcony. We‘ll see how that goes 🤷🏿‍♀️

8 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

It's ok to hate her anyway.

I would, but I just don't have that much free time.  And anyway I have enough on my plate as it is without the added struggle of swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die.  I get mad, but I don't really do hate.  Takes up too much energy.

2 hours ago, akdoc said:

This post is more of a plan than a question

I know you're not asking, but since we're all bored out of our minds... :)

Just get a can of this (have a friend order it: plausible deniability is key here), wait for it to pop (the can will bulge at the top and bottom when it's ready to go), and get a plastic bag and a bucket. 

You'll open the can inside of the bag (it sprays everywhere upon opening), and the bucket is to catch your puke.  Use the contents OF THE CAN to make your neighbor's balcony unusable.  Have a disposal plan. 

Be prepared for the eventuality that your balcony may also become unusable.  You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. 

GOOD LUCK! 

10 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Attach a fan blowing down onto his balcony??

Did that once when neighbours were regularly sending strange fumes. Indeed worked.

Some good air purifiers do remove smoke particles from the air. We have one in our bedroom (1st floor) and when something gets slightly burn in the kitchen (EG) the purifier detects it and goes full speed!

Ours is this one. It also has an humidifier, which together with the purifier reduces our allergy problems.

It also filters bacteria and surprisingly some virus. Although Covid-19 is smaller than the HEPA filter, I've read an article saying that it is still useful, as it can potentially reduce the quantity of virus in the air, although I would be surprised in the first place to have any in my bedroom. If we have them, it's probably because we are already infected...

I forgot that we have a Dyson air purifier in the basement (after spending all that money too!) 

Need to bring it up and see how that works regarding smoke 

8 hours ago, Santitas said:

I thought I read somewhere that second-hand smoke is more dangerous than actual smoking,

In one of Trumps twitters?

6 minutes ago, jeba said:

In one of Trumps twitters?

Actually, it is more dangerous, particularly when someone breathes the smoke that comes off the end of the cigarette.  A smoker gets the benefit of the filter, whereas people breathing the unfiltered smoke don’t.

1 minute ago, knotheadusc said:

Actually, it is more dangerous,

No

49 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

Yes it is.

I´m too lazy to google for proof but only recently I heard an interview with a pundit who explicitely said that passive smoking is bad but active smoking is worse. Which makes a lot of sense.

I'm an ex smoker. I smoked for about 11 years and managed to kick the habit.

I am a live and let live person. Let people smoke as long as I do not have to smoke with them. Actually there are pros and cons to nicotine believe it or not. Positives are nicotine is actually good for your brain, there are studies showing it may ward off some things. (see link below)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xw7agz/four-surprising-potential-health-benefits-of-nicotine

It also speeds up your metabolism. You quit then you pile pounds on. I used to chew nicotine chewing gum. I gave up smoking due to a nasty bout of bronchitus and also when I got pregnant. Do I miss smoking? Yes I do actually, is it a disgusting habit? Yes it is, but so is drinking alcohol and picking your nose.

My partner smokes, he smokes outside. He is considerate when we walk he tries to make sure I do not passively smoke. He understands the smell on his clothes may not make me want to hug him immediately after he comes in from having a cigarette.

But cigarettes do make smoke alarms go off. They really do, I know from experience, if they don't go off change your smoke alarm! Remember smoke kills not the fire.

I have experienced people who did not tell us that the smoking of my partner bothered them, instead of talking and saying something they made a formal complaint. Was not nice. Communication is the key. Smokers cannot control their smoke, they may not realise where it is going. Same goes for smoke from BBQs and the fires people light in gardens in the evening to keep warm. Common sense? Courtesy? People are not mind readers. They really may not know.

A lot of the major problems come from people not saying anything. Stonewalling, passive aggression. All of us need to communicate better with each other.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Smokers cannot control their smoke, they may not realise where it is going. Same goes for smoke from BBQs 

I remember reading on here that only electric grills are only allowed on balconies in rented apartments in a lot of places because of this fact.

It's a little bit crazy that seemingly you have more protection from bbq smoke than cigarette smoke wrt to shared rental spaces.

36 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I am a live and let live person. Let people smoke as long as I do not have to smoke with them. Actually there are pros and cons to nicotine believe it or not.

Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine, but works a little differently. That's why it goes so well with coffee. There are indeed some upsides to using nicotine by itself, some might even be called "healthy", but the problem is that is very addictive and the actual smoke and tar is terrible. 

36 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

It also speeds up your metabolism. You quit then you pile pounds on. I used to chew nicotine chewing gum. I gave up smoking due to a nasty bout of bronchitus and also when I got pregnant. Do I miss smoking? Yes I do actually, is it a disgusting habit? Yes it is, but so is drinking alcohol and picking your nose.

Both while and as an ex-smoker, my weight was always the same... Oh well. I quit "for real" almost 2 years ago now (once my wife and started trying to get a bun in the oven -- and that was probably the best thing to make me stay off). I had spent the previous 3-4 years on-and-off quitting. Wouldn't smoke for a few months, then one day I'd say "ah screw it, cig time!" and that would kick off a few months of smoking until I had the same ol' "why am I doing this, really, this is so stupid" quit phase. I hated the smell in my clothes, on my breath, on my hands, in my hair, and I don't miss that. I was never a heavy smoker, but all the money that felt wasted (though I rolled my own, which is more economical). And the knowing it was killing me. My grandfather had emphysema for years and was chained to an oxygen tank around the clock, a result of 70ish years of unfiltered cigarettes. Every time I started again, there was that headachey nauseous feeling after the first cig that really made me feel I had made a mistake, but well, I already bought the pack and papers and filters... I'd find myself sucking one down at the train station smoker's square looking at everyone else do the same, realizing how stupid we all looked, and feeling sick but buzzed and tell myself "this can't go on". 

I really don't feel like actually smoking again, it's just not there anymore. And the sight/smell kinda puts me off. But that said, yes even now, I do miss a cig sometimes too. With a coffee, on a bike ride to work (that was my favourite, almost as a ritual, I'd roll one then begin my commute), with a few beers, or after a big meal. It is enjoyable. (But kids, don't smoke!)