My neighbor's smoke is bothering me

202 posts in this topic

the smell came in through the window and i tried shutting it. However, as soon as i reopen the window, the smell came in again.

hahaha!!! amazing!!!

you did the old chestnut of locking the smell in eh? when will you learn?

right this moment my apartment is stinking of cigarette smell, can someone suggest some solutions please... i am very desperate. I like the apartment and i prefer not to move.

perhaps you could agree a time when the neighbour will be smoking, and you can make sure you are out of your flat during this time? have you thought of suggesting this? it may well help you out.

right this moment my apartment is stinking of cigarette smell, can someone suggest some solutions please... i am very desperate. I like the apartment and i prefer not to move.

Start smoking yourself - you won't notice the smell any more and will become more relaxed (so long as you don't give up)

really? you are having health problems because of a smell?!! :unsure:

you sound like a fun neighbour maybe they just light smokes as incense

hoping that you will take your old whiney bag of bones and sod off.

Zigarettenrauch aus der darunter liegenden Wohnung, weil die Zwischendecke nicht hinreichend abgedichtet ist, berechtigt zur Mietminderung,

AG Münster 38 C 412/87.

Aufgrund der Bauweise des Gebäudes schlechte Abdichtungen Zigarettenrauch und Essensgerüche in der Mietwohnung - 20% Mietminderung,

LG Stuttgart WM 98, 724.

- Keine Mietminderung, wenn der Rauch von einem Nachbarbalkon kommt,

AG Wennigsen WM 2001, 487.

If the smoke permeates your apartment due to bad insulation or construction you can decrease the rent. I don't know if you can claim damages for health problems. If the guy is smoking on his balcony, you're stuffed. Move to Belmont, CA.

Cool! Does this mean I get 20% for the onions and 20% for the smoke? Then again, if I start doing that, they might actually consider raising my rent - which has not happened in 14 years.

Hello Pepe, I can really understand you - the same thing happened to me in my last apartment!

I had constant headaches because of the smoke - 2 chainsmokers lived in the apartment below mine and they basically smoked day and night.

Unfortunately I dont think you can do much - except talk to them - but you can already tell from the reactions in this thread that you will not get very far...

These people are addicted to the smoke and tolerance (apparently) dies when it comes to addiction.

They usually dont give a damn if they are molesting others! Addiction is selfish. The body needs the stuff. Thats all that matters.

They dont even care about their own health - why would they care about yours!??? :lol:

Legally they are allowed to smoke in their apartments as much as they like.

Are you a member of Mieterverein? You could talk to them - they give free legal advice.

Otherwise I would just look for another apartment. Thats what I did...

Sad but true! :angry:

I have the same problem in my Munich apartment.

Just keep those windows closed while they are awake and puffing - buy lots of plants and keep hoping that they don't have long to live.

living down town, but also on the third level i get these bell ends most nights of the week punching back lung darts at 2am under my pad and if i got the window open its enough to wake me. now its coming into winter its sweet as coz i wont have the window open anyway but it was gay as in summer, as krauts dont believe in air conditioning.

back in oz where is uncool to smoke and people will tell u off for smoking, here they just dont give a rats arse and even at dinner etc when its above 8 degrees celcius and the germans get this notion somehow that sitting inside the restaurant is gunna kill them you are forced to punch back a deck of durries every time by convection. this behaviour is extremely egotistical...

thats why i cant wait for winter.

back to the original posting. pepe, if you are in fact a frog, i am surprised u dont smoke urself, i almost coughed up a new autobahn after 1 week in normandie, but since u dont i recommend just sleeping with your arm above your head, the stench from your armpit should overpower the cigarette smoke anyday of the year.

I'd also say you have to live and let live with that sort of thing...keep your windows shut when they are out smoking on their balcony for example.

maybe have a word with them about it?

Open a window on the other side of the apartment, scented candles, joss sticks, oil burner, vicks under your nostrils...

Get a huge fan and aim it at the window, or on the balcony and aim it down towards their apartment, and get a bottle of febreze or whatever the hell it's called & spray it around. Get some of those fish on a stick things and tie them around the balcony after a few days in the sun you won't notice the smoke smell anymore, eat a lot of beans and spicy food & start farting a lot too. And as an extra measure you can get one of those stinky automatic spray things that they advertise on telly right before corrie, can't remember the name of them but the rabbits say they work great.

If you must have the window open, perhaps placing a high powered fan facing the window would blow the smoke back outside?

post #25: hooray for Belmont!!

Talk to Nieghbour? Give him a little bell which he should ring before smoking so you can shut your windows?

Install highly sensitive smoke detectors outside their windows, if possible with a direct connection to the fire department.

I totally understand where you are coming from. My dad smoked at home and the smell seeps into everything, hair, clothes, furniture, closed doors. I hated it, and as a Non Smoker I definately felt sick sometimes and got an irritated nose and throat.

I used incense, - by that I mean, burn a F*ck load and home that thatt seeps into everything before your neighbours nasty ass smell does! aired out the house whenever I could, vacumed etc. You could just say to her that its not on, and could she please do it elsewhere, or complain to your LL and threaten to leave if he doesnt.

But hey, Welcome to Germany, where even when its illegal peoples still light up. Its disgusting, but theyre Germans.

the smell came in through the window and i tried shutting it. However, as soon as i reopen the window, the smell came in again.

the magic of windows ... it's amazing isn't it? :ph34r:

Start cooking with lots of curry or garlic. You won't notice the smoke anymore.

Get a dog. With the rainy weather coming up, wet dog smell will overpower the smoke.

Buy a little gnome insense holder and start meditating with loud chants while burning incense. Mind over matter, you know. ;)