My neighbor's smoke is bothering me

206 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, alderhill said:

Nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine, but works a little differently. That's why it goes so well with coffee. There are indeed some upsides to using nicotine by itself, some might even be called "healthy", but the problem is that is very addictive and the actual smoke and tar is terrible. 

Both while and as an ex-smoker, my weight was always the same... Oh well. I quit "for real" almost 2 years ago now (once my wife and started trying to get a bun in the oven -- and that was probably the best thing to make me stay off). I had spent the previous 3-4 years on-and-off quitting. Wouldn't smoke for a few months, then one day I'd say "ah screw it, cig time!" and that would kick off a few months of smoking until I had the same ol' "why am I doing this, really, this is so stupid" quit phase. I hated the smell in my clothes, on my breath, on my hands, in my hair, and I don't miss that. I was never a heavy smoker, but all the money that felt wasted (though I rolled my own, which is more economical). And the knowing it was killing me. My grandfather had emphysema for years and was chained to an oxygen tank around the clock, a result of 70ish years of unfiltered cigarettes. Every time I started again, there was that headachey nauseous feeling after the first cig that really made me feel I had made a mistake, but well, I already bought the pack and papers and filters... I'd find myself sucking one down at the train station smoker's square looking at everyone else do the same, realizing how stupid we all looked, and feeling sick but buzzed and tell myself "this can't go on". 

I really don't feel like actually smoking again, it's just not there anymore. And the sight/smell kinda puts me off. But that said, yes even now, I do miss a cig sometimes too. With a coffee, on a bike ride to work (that was my favourite, almost as a ritual, I'd roll one then begin my commute), with a few beers, or after a big meal. It is enjoyable. (But kids, don't smoke!) 

You are very lucky. Most people I know piled the pounds on once they quit the habit. Quitting alcohol has the opposite effect, the pounds fall off. Melt off.

I guess I miss smoking as it reminds me of when I was younger and I had some really good times back then. Yes it does smell but I do miss the taste of nicotine, probably why I managed to finally quit the habit using nicotine gum. I now just chew normal chewing gum whenever I want a cigarette.

I still think though in general people do not communicate with each other. They stonewall and start passive aggression, leaving the other person unaware of what they have done. If someones's behaviour annoys you, you have to tell them.

I hoped and longed my partner would give up smoking but they never did. I talked to them, but at the end of the day they have to want to give up. I have noticed though as an ex smoker, I cannot stand that stale ash tray smell on my partners clothes.

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

You are very lucky. Most people I know piled the pounds on once they quit the habit. Quitting alcohol has the opposite effect, the pounds fall off. Melt off.

Hah, definitely true. Since my last move for work, I left behind a nice social circle (RE: lots of casual social drinking) which hasn't (yet) been replaced anywhere near the same extent. Also because of our baby, a roaring social life is kinda harder now. I seldom ever drank at home. So I've lost and kept off 12kg in the last couple and a half without any other big change in my usual diet or exercise routines.

I still think though in general people do not communicate with each other. They stonewall and start passive aggression, leaving the other person unaware of what they have done. If someones's behaviour annoys you, you have to tell them.

Yes, definitely. Many people probably figure "well, he/she/they didn't say anything about it, so its probably not a big deal'. Reality doesn't work that way.

I hoped and longed my partner would give up smoking but they never did. I talked to them, but at the end of the day they have to want to give up. I have noticed though as an ex smoker, I cannot stand that stale ash tray smell on my partners clothes.

My wife was never a smoker, but bless her she put up with my smoking for years while we were dating, and without too many complaints. Shortly after we met, I did vaguely promise to quit some day, but that still took another 6-7ish years or so.

Indeed, there's something about the stale acrid ashy smell, maybe especially for ex-smokers. It's our albatross, I guess.

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

Indeed, there's something about the stale acrid ashy smell, maybe especially for ex-smokers. It's our albatross, I guess.

I don't have a problem if people smoke around me but the smell of stale smoke, what you get if a person has been chain smoking inside wearing the same clothes for a long time, that's really bad.  It's been a long time since I've come across someone smelling like that though.  My gesamtschule had a smoking room off the lunch hall and it was always full and loads of fun, kids skipping their classes, playing cards etc.  You couldn't open the windows because it would presumably interfere with the ventilation which wasn't working anyway really.  It was quite foggy in there and it stunk and we all did too.  Today, they would never have a smoking room in any public building.  You go outside and spare your lungs a bit and don't stink as bad and just maybe you don't get into playing cards on your smoke break and end up skipping your classes because it's so much fun.

On 4/13/2020, 11:22:46, Anna66 said:

I guess I miss smoking as it reminds me of when I was younger and I had some really good times back then. Yes it does smell but I do miss the taste of nicotine, probably why I managed to finally quit the habit using nicotine gum. I now just chew normal chewing gum whenever I want a cigarette.

People usually gain weight because they need something to do with their hands as well as something to put in their mouths. (Waiting) I am not so sure that nicotine is much of a stimulant after so many  years, as the body has become used to it. My friends who have quit smoking say they need something to do so they eat or chew gum.

20 minutes ago, cacilia_1 said:

People usually gain weight because they need something to do with their hands as well as something to put in their mouths. (Waiting) I am not so sure that nicotine is much of a stimulant after so many  years, as the body has become used to it. My friends who have quit smoking say they need something to do so they eat or chew gum.

My mother always suggested knitting to me.  That would have required stronger drugs than nicotine for me to endure.   Sport helped me, do not much like running but feel good afterwards.

1 hour ago, cacilia_1 said:

People usually gain weight because they need something to do with their hands as well as something to put in their mouths.

So fat people just need to have sex? :D

Topics merged by admin

Hello everyone,
I live in a rented house with two apartments, one on the ground floor and one on the first and second floor (which is my apartment). Both apartments are rented out. 
On the ground floor apartment lives a retired old woman who is very unpleasant. The landlord hates her (he tried to kick her out without success), the previous tenant hated her, and she does not like me and my family. My issue with her is that she smokes inside her house and when she opens the windows, all the smoke rises up and gets into my house. Sometimes I can smell cigarettes coming through the plug hole. I have a small child, and this makes it impossible to open the windows she she does this.
Can I do anything to stop this? 

Thank you

A

4 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

Hello everyone,
I live in a rented house with two apartments, one on the ground floor and one on the first and second floor (which is my apartment). Both apartments are rented out. 
On the ground floor apartment lives a retired old woman who is very unpleasant. The landlord hates her (he tried to kick her out without success), the previous tenant hated her, and she does not like me and my family. My issue with her is that she smokes inside her house and when she opens the windows, all the smoke rises up and gets into my house. Sometimes I can smell cigarettes coming through the plug hole. I have a small child, and this makes it impossible to open the windows she she does this.
Can I do anything to stop this? 

Thank you

A

She sounds like the kind of person who will one day complain your child is too noisy.

And then from your side can come „ no. Your problem.“

On 5/3/2020, 10:40:14, fraufruit said:

Do use the search function. There are about  99 other threads on the same exact subject.

Thanks.

Thank you

1 hour ago, DoubleDTown said:

What is a "plug hole" ?

The hole in the kitchen sink?

8 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Good luck with that. I once heard that smoking tars the lung so infections dont stumble on their way.

Only thing smoking might keep away- other people! So Social distancing not a problem😏

On 9/9/2008, 12:44:54, Fribble said:

On 9/9/2008, 12:18:07, DDBug said:

On 9/9/2008, 12:05:53, Keydeck said:

So the problem is, Pepe, le pew?

Listen, I'm fairly sure you can't have health problems from a smell. That said, I've driven past a few pikey halting sites which'd make you bring up your lunch. What are these health problems of which you now allege to suffer as a result of your new neighbour?

@Keydeck you may be “fairly certain” but you’re also totally incorrect. Cigarette smoke is incredibly harmful for everyone regardless of health status, but it can even send some people like myself immediately to the hospital. I have a chronic lung condition, and my neighbors smoke means I need to increase my medication dosage which further suppressed my immune system (other choice: let lungs collapse), makes me incredibly ill, and puts me an increased risk of viruses like corona. If I’m not around cigarette smoke or any allergens, I can live medication free, so my neighbors smoke is dramatically affecting my quality of life & potentially my life span. Unfortunately, in apartment complexes in Berlin, there’s not much I can do about it because my neighbors are as misinformed as you. My neighbor rolled their eyes. So it’s quite dangerous for you to gaslight the postet & Tell them they can’t be experiencing health issues from it, when quite frankly, cigarette smoke is literally deadly for everyone in the long term and immediately for some in the short term. 

Good heavens, did you really respond to an 11+ year old post from a poster who hasn't logged in in over 3 years?

5 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

heavens, did you really respond to an 11+ year old post from a poster who hasn't logged in in over 3 years?

Is there a time limit? Some threads seem to disappear whilst others from the 2000s stay active....