Smoke detectors

117 posts in this topic

On 5.11.2018, 09:48:01, fraufruit said:

Our landlord put them in a few years ago. We haven't been charged anything and our NK didn't go up.

 

Whether they can increase the nebenkosten depends on the rental contract and the exact building regulations. In Bayern they can only charge nebenkosten for smoke detectors if it's explicitly in the contract (or if the contract allows for "new" nebenkosten).

Technically, they could have also increased the rent through the Modernisierung rules but that's probably not worth it since it would only be a couple of euros more per month.

 

On 5.11.2018, 09:45:15, zwiebelfisch said:

The nebenkosten are likely to be small, I pay something like 15 euro per year for maintenance and 5 euro per month rental for the alarm.  Im sure you could do it cheaper, but I cannot imagine its worth fighting with the landlord about, especially as its his legal duty.

 

3 hours ago, alderhill said:

Anyway, paying rent for a freakin' smoke detector is, I would agree, despicable. Passing the costs of procurement and installation to renters is in bad faith IMO, but still understandable. But continual payments??

 

By renting them, the landlord saves money since he easily passes all costs to you. To pass costs when they are bought can be complicated. Definitely stingy.

 

3 hours ago, alderhill said:

Our new apartment now has a detector in every single freaking room and hallway (except the bathroom and not immediately in the kitchen nook)

 

That's per regulation. At least every bedroom and hallways. In large or non-rectangular rooms you might need more than one. In some states they are required in all living areas (living rooms / studies)

 

The reason for the hallways is simple: if a fire breaks out in the hallway leading from your bedroom to the exit, by the time smoke spreads to the bedroom and the alarm goes off, it might be too late to be able to exit the apartment.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

screaming for the lawyer and blocking the local courts with nonsense

Really?  That's what courts are for, to clear up questions in law.  

If it's all ready been decided in court, then any lawyer worth his or her salt would tell me so and how to proceed, without ever stepping foot in a courtroom.  If, however, it is unclear what to do in situations like this, then it would make a lot of sense to ask a judge to rule on how to interpret the law, as it could have huge potential costs for renting (and owning) apartments.  

And if you don't fight for your rights, you just won't have any.  Sometimes even if you do.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/magazine/jared-kushners-other-real-estate-empire.html .   

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pmd said:

... apparently it's getting more and more difficult to get volunteers for the freiwillig Feuerwehr.

 

It seems to be increasingly difficult to get volunteers for just about everything  - sports clubs are suffering as well.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HEM said:

 

It seems to be increasingly difficult to get volunteers for just about everything  - sports clubs are suffering as well.

I've heard that often too. I volunteered at a Tierheim for a few years and ended up quitting due to endless infighting amongst the other volunteers and constant criticism of all volunteers by the manager. A lady I know who coordinates voluntary activities believes that a lot of the problems relate to new ideas and change not being welcome.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018, 4:50:45, msam said:

That's per regulation. At least every bedroom and hallways. In large or non-rectangular rooms you might need more than one. In some states they are required in all living areas (living rooms / studies)

 

Does anyone have the details of this regulation? I have to install them myself but I'm not sure how many and in which rooms.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found this actually:

 

(4) In Wohnungen müssen
1. Aufenthaltsräume, ausgenommen Küchen, und
2. Flure, über die Rettungswege von Aufenthaltsräumen führen,
jeweils mindestens einen Rauchwarnmelder haben. Die Rauchwarnmelder müssen so eingebaut oder angebracht und betrieben werden, dass Brandrauch frühzeitig erkannt und gemeldet wird. Bestehende Wohnungen sind bis zum 31. Dezember 2020 entsprechend auszustatten. Die Sicherstellung der Betriebsbereitschaft obliegt den Mietern oder sonstigen Nutzungsberechtigten, es sei denn, die Eigentümerin oder der Eigentümer übernimmt diese Verpflichtung selbst.

 

So from what I understand is every room and corridor, except kitchen. Bathroom?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markfusara said:

I've found this actually:

 

(4) In Wohnungen müssen
1. Aufenthaltsräume, ausgenommen Küchen, und
2. Flure, über die Rettungswege von Aufenthaltsräumen führen,
jeweils mindestens einen Rauchwarnmelder haben. Die Rauchwarnmelder müssen so eingebaut oder angebracht und betrieben werden, dass Brandrauch frühzeitig erkannt und gemeldet wird. Bestehende Wohnungen sind bis zum 31. Dezember 2020 entsprechend auszustatten. Die Sicherstellung der Betriebsbereitschaft obliegt den Mietern oder sonstigen Nutzungsberechtigten, es sei denn, die Eigentümerin oder der Eigentümer übernimmt diese Verpflichtung selbst.

 

So from what I understand is every room and corridor, except kitchen. Bathroom?

Sounds correct.  A few years ago when we fitted our smoke detectors, each state had slightly different regulations so worth double checking with your local Gemeinde and/or fire station.  We were advised against using the type that are networked...ie smoke detected by one and all alarms sound simultaneously. Could be a danger if you cant tell where the smoke/fire is.  Also check if you need a carbon monoxide detector.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, emkay said:

..ie smoke detected by one and all alarms sound simultaneously. Could be a danger if you cant tell where the smoke/fire is.  Also check if you need a carbon monoxide detector.

I think you will find the fire when there is one!

We have four networked fire detectors. No fire #til now, howver some false alarms. A nightmare if one goes off 1AM and three are following.

We have to rmove them from the sockket to stop the noise. No problem, if you are tall and the ceilings are low, otherwise..

Stepping on a chair at 1AM is not very safe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I think you will find the fire when there is one!

We have four networked fire detectors. No fire #til now, howver some false alarms. A nightmare if one goes off 1AM and three are following.

We have to rmove them from the sockket to stop the noise. No problem, if you are tall and the ceilings are low, otherwise..

Stepping on a chair at 1AM is not very safe.

Or swinging off the end of my bed, as I was, at 3 a.m., trying to shut the damn thing off!!!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I think you will find the fire when there is one!

It depends on the size of the property, your senses and how well they work though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I glanced at this thread, we have a couple of detectors but not one in every room. Even the bathroom/loo?

 

Anyway, just ordered several more on eBay.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2004, 4:12:46, Blimeygirl said:

Probably women beating men to death for not putting a new roll on when the old one is empty.

Wouldn't really be classed as an accident... if it was then it would probably happen a lot more often.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just glancing around this thread and it reminds me how long I have been away from Germany ( six years!) and it just makes me laugh at the cultural differences ( well, not laugh but.. amused ).

Have never come across a smoke detector here in a house. If there are, I can guarantee the guy coming to install it would have a ciggie in one hand and flick the ash around whilst installing it!😂

 

My eye doc the other week- extreme caution in his room ( disinfectant etc . corona etc ), waiting till the eye drops had diluted my pupils in his office- all good, and sucking away on his smoking Ersatz thingy close to me ( forget the name of it.. senior moment )..clouds of smoke.

 

Ah, E- cigs...

 

Ah, and the lady dentist having a puff on her ciggie a few feet away from me before continuing my dental cleaning?😂


And a sort of reminder why some Germans come to live here  to get away from German rules and why some Greeks move to Germany to get away from Greek rules!🙏🏻

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now