Smoke detectors

117 posts in this topic

I am so poor acc to TT reputation, 10 euro is too expensive lol I would rather invest in a neighbor who bangs in the midnight.. on my door ;) ha hahah

I shall be placing an order in the morning for some. Thank you for the reminder.

Is there any rule of thumbs about where best placed? Or how many by size or room number?

Our apartment is pretty compact but I do not want to rely on too less. They were always placed in apartments already in Oregon, only ever noticed when they went off or chirped for a new batterie.

Bedrooms, hallway and above the tv. Kitchen is sometimes tricky due to the other particles in the air that might make it go off.

I suspect the Berlin that she's living in is on another planet

I confess, I am from Spandau.

I've been meaning to get some too, though my initial "smoke alarms aren't standard everywhere?" shock came in Australia in the share house I was renting with fellow students--rented separately downstairs to some crazy party animals who were probably very likely to set the place on fire--I insisted we get at least one smoke detector, but the landlord told us we "could get" a smoke alarm and they would reimburse us for it, but we had to install it ourselves and were not allowed to use anything to adhere them to the walls that might leave a mark of any kind! As we were not even allowed to stick things on the walls with scotch tape or sticky tack because of this same rule, we never did get around to installing it. It was a beautiful old house, but come on... I was pretty shocked that the landlord was able to say a thing like that about something that for me should have been their responsibility to install.

Regarding installing them here in Berlin--as I said I've been meaning to do this, but I'm wondering if they really need to be on the ceiling? We have ultra-high altbau ceilings, and standing on the step ladder we have with arms fully extended the furthest that is reachable is the lightbulb hanging on a 3-foot cord height. So even if we got someone else to install them and/or borrowed a ladder from a neighbor to do it or something, I'm sure at that height and inconvenience we wouldn't check/change batteries as often as we should. Would placing them high on a wall also be effective?

You can place them high on the wall without a problem. Just not too close to the ceiling.

See here for example: http://www.usinspect.com/resources-for-you/house-facts/basic-components-and-systems-home/smoke-detectors/where-detectors-shou They say on the ceiling at least 4" from the wall or on the wall between 4" and 12" from the ceiling.

I am not playing word games, but not having a smoke alarm means one is not about one's own and the life of the others living with them? As I say, people fall prey to maasive advertisement and panicking reports, the fact is smoke alarms just detect smoke, it may not always mean fire,

Feeding the troll...

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/smoke_inhalation/article_em.htm

The number one cause of death related to fires is smoke inhalation. An estimated 50%-80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries rather than burns.

and then saving life is an effort made through many other helping factors.

This is an absolute fucking classic.

That is equivalent to saying that brakes on your car don't save lives it is the fire fighters and paramedics that do it.

Like if you don't hear the alarm in sleep, what is the use of it? In Germany, if it is really proven to be helpful, it will be on the list of rules and regulations, so I trust the TüV regulations.

Yes right because on the TÜV regulations is everything that could possibly save lives.

And smoke alarms are only helpful when you live in certain places as mentioned earlier.

That is not true for all of Germany, it is law that belongs to the Länder, as all law regarding building code. You required by law to have them all buildings in Rhineland-Palatinate, and Schleswig-Holstein. This will all be the case in the coming years in Bremen, Saxony-Anhalt, NRW, Bavaria and Lower Saxony. In Saarland, Hamburg, Meck-Pom, and Thüringen, they are required in new and renouvated buildings, this will also be the case in Hesse in a couple of years time. More info for the different Länder (in German)

My bf and I had one disagreement after I got the smoke detector - I was cooking, and it went off. He complained, and then instead of taking out the battery, I think for some reason he put it out on the balcony, to give it clean air.

The next morning, we were woken up very early by the hideous noise of the smoke detector - which had been activated by the heat of the sun hitting the balcony! After that, he realized that indeed, it would be rather useful in the case of a real fire - no more grumbling!

I learned at what point to open the windows in the kitchen while cooking - haven't had any false alarms since!

... Kitchen is sometimes tricky due to the other particles in the air that might make it go off.

Because false alarms in a kitchen are probable, I'd recommend installing a Wärmemelder (designed to trigger at approx. 60°C) instead of a Rauchmelder.

In all the years we've had one of these installed in different kitchens, we've never suffered a spurious alarm.

if you still manage to call the firefighters, you can obviously manage to run out if you are healthy and sound

Not if you live high up and get trapped in a room by the fire. I walked past this fire in the centre of amsterdam this morning (video mostly in dutch, with some english). Beautiful building destroyed but more importantly a man lost his life. You can hear on the video someone shouting, "People are sleeping inside!" Do you think they had a smoke detector?

I didn't see the guy jump out of the window, but what I did see was scary enough. People were running out onto the streets from the neighbouring houses whilst still wearing their pyjamas. I think I'll be getting a smoke alarm..

A slight cautionary tale - I don't know which side of the argument this favours, make your own mind up.

In my house in the UK I have smoke detectors in the hall (lobby) and upstairs landing. These are linked to each other and are original from when the house was built.

The problem was that the one in the hall was just outside the kitchen and was too sensitive so it was going off all the time so I asked an alarm technician that I know to have a look. He said that the one outside the kitchen was the wrong type for that situation (Ion rather than Optical) and he would change it.

When he took the old alarm off he was a bit confused by the wiring as there was no mains connection (despite there being a mains circuit for alarms). He poked around in the ceiling a found out why when he pulled out the mains cable, just raw cut off with bare ends, that had never been connected and had been live in the ceiling void for the last 13 years since the house was built.

In this case the incorrect installation of the smoke detector could have been the cause of the fire.

I know that the smoke alarm regulations have recently changed for rented and owned properties though I'm finding it difficult to find the definitive rules despite googling and speaking to our house insurer. Each time I contacted them regarding our owned home, I get variations. I was told that there should be a detector in each bedroom, hallways and kitchen.  When I commented that one directly in the kitchen would go off each time we cooked especially as the room is very small, they didn't know if it should be directly in the room or could be just outside. They also didn't know if there had to be one in the Waschküche and heating room which would make sense anyway. 

Any info would be much appreciated as I need to sort our house and advise some elderly friends and family. 

Thank you snowingagain, I'll have a look through the link you posted.  Whilst searching, I thought I'd ring any one of our nearest fire brigades and was astonished to find that most are freiwillig. I had no idea that so many were voluntary and I just wanted to say how amazing these volunteers are and what a brilliant job they do.

A very nice chap did email me the official document  relating to the new law and it seems that kitchen smoke detectors are not a legal requirement though bedrooms and halls/landings are.  Makes me think that another cautious step for anyone is to check specifically with their home insurer as their requirement may be different to that of the law though there's no clear notification, or any In fact, to home owners. Ours seems to vary. Apparently it's possible to get specific kitchen smoke detectors so I'll have a look for one as chances are, if anything were to happen, God forbid, and it's not all correct, then the insurer won't pay up. 

rauchmelderpflicht.net

gives details for each state

That's really helpful, thank you.  So it seems that houses in my state should have smoke detectors, but I can't work out whether its a legal requirement for the landlord to fit them or if tenants are supposed to do it.