Smoke detectors

117 posts in this topic

Our smoke detector out in the hall sometimes goes off when something in the oven is a bit overdone and I open the oven door. I don't mind it at all because at least I know it's working!

I would say, one doesn't really need any smoke detectors..

shittest advice on TT ever.

we have smoke alarms all over the house, if they accidentally go off why should it matter so much, just switch them off again, at least it proves they are working well.

a friend of mine's husband is a fireman and the atrocities he sees are unbearable, especially the ones concerning children. not least those who survive house fires can be left severely disfigured and disabled. he nags everyone to get smoke alarms.

I am unable to use the 'quote' function for some reason so my apologies, so I will do it this way!

loz adele: I'm glad I kind of scared you, that was the whole point .. get your self a smoke alarm and CO alarm if you have a wood-burner/gas .. also check out the BF .. they are not all morons. :rolleyes:

Indigogirl: You will NEVER EVER out run a fire at the wrong time .. a ridiculous post .. but of course your opinion .. ear splitting squeak or dead child .. again your choice!!

Robinson100: what a GREAT BTW comment!! Thank you .. Yes educate the kids as soon as, play act scenarios, but make sure they understand how serious this is as well .. great comment!!

Artemisia: Personally I would be wary about 'fitting circles' as you suggest they contain magnets to hold. I would worry that they may interfere with the detection system (a small radioactive field inside the alarm unit) BUT is it only my opinion, and I am not a technical expert in the manufacture of smoke alarms and fittings. Old fashion screws for me (like real smoke to test) most detectors come with a 'fitting kit'.

Moodboot: Best NOT to switch them off (I don't think you can) BUT NEVER make the fatal mistake of removing the batteries to silence .. just blow the smoke away until they stop, and use the experience as a test that they work!! I think that is what you meant though :)

To rest of you that have posted, thank you, and I am again glad that my post has 're ignited' (sorry) this discussion. YES it is the smoke and it's toxic content that kills, and if you are asleep you may just never wake up .. UNLESS that ear splitting squeak helps to wake you.

Get a smoke alarm/s today - get a CO alarm today - fit or get them fitted correctly. http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/mains-smoke-alarms

Keep yourselves and all your families SAFE, it is hard enough in today's world as it is!!!

hmm, I notice none of the posters belong to the 'slum like population' of Berlin. (this is how well-off non Berliner name us) Here people generally live in 2-3 bedroom apartments with the kids. I have really not seen many friends fixing smoke detectors at home, I had one, I removed it. This is not usual in Berlin, and believe me I know so many families with kids. Generally if you take precautions like not let the candle burn in the night, plug off the toaster, coffee machine, check the oven before going to sleep, fire may not happen.

I agree, my advice is not the best one, it is the difference between the standard of living may be? If people live in a big house, it is necessary to have smoke detectors. In Berlin, it is a problem now a days to park a pram in the hallway, neighbors are anxious because some idiots put fire in the prams, waste paper bins and other things placed in the hallway in the night. In spite of many such severe incidents there was fortunately no news of frequent deaths when it happened. Fire accidents are mainly noticed by the people outside, if you still manage to call the firefighters, you can obviously manage to run out if you are healthy and sound as well don't live in a big palace where you have to follow the exit plan. :) A smoke detector won't save your life but a good FIRE EXTINGUISHER will certainly do! I have one at home. (Rossmann and Kaufland offer it a few times in a year if anyone interested)

The point is, if you don't have a spacious house, the fire detector starts screaming while cooking, while backing when temperatures go up in the kitchen etc. Also, fire detector in your apartment is not going to help if someone if putting the hallway or the paper bins and prams on fire in the building. Kids are more endangered if you forget to shut the windows when you don't live in the ground floor, and let them unattended.

I have two smoke alarms in my place - one in the hallway as that is where the difficulty would be in getting out. And the other is in the office in case the computer and printer explode one day!

Then my Dad in Wales gave me a carbon monoxide detector a Christmas or two ago. He's the mother hen of the family. Always thinking of safety. That is on top of the boiler in the kitchen and it did go off one day. I mentioned it to the man who checks the boiler every year and he carried out tests. Nothing. But even so.. good to know it works.

A smoke detector won't save your life but a good FIRE EXTINGUISHER will certainly do! I have one at home. (Rossmann and Kaufland offer it a few times in a year if anyone interested)... Kids are more endangered if you forget to shut the windows when you don't live in the ground floor, and let them unattended.

So my story about the 3 dead children and 2 dead grandparents had no impact? The thought of unsuccessfully evacuating 3 disoriented, sleeping children in the middle of the night when oneself is disoriented has zero impact? By the way, the 10 year old was apparently right next to a window trying to get out when she died.

There was a fire in the building next to mine when I was living in a parlor level studio (37 square meters). It was the middle of the night. It was smokey. Unbelievably, I slept through the fire alarm in the central hall and all the outside commotion. A neighbor pounding on my door woke me up. I was very disoriented. Instead of leaving the building, I proceeded to put my cat in a pillow case so I could take him with me. Luckily, there was someplace outside where we could wait (an ambulance and bus? not sure now) because I didn't bring a coat and it was winter. But I had my cat. In a different scenario, the time it took to get him might have led to a disaster.

By the way, these buildings are all old and masonry. The smoke traveled from one building to another very easily. It took forever (and professional help) to get rid of it. The fire started in the basement of the building next door because of chemicals that were stored there. Apparently, they were combustible.

It was the middle of the night. It was smokey. Unbelievably, I slept through the fire alarm in the central hall and all the outside commotion. A neighbor pounding on my door woke me up.

blahaha! are you still trying to convince others that smoke detectors would help you save your life? Your stories are indeed not impacting. NOT for people in Berlin hahah! As per your Stories, for me, a neighbor pounding on my door in the middle of the night is a MUST! By the way, thousands of people die in car accidents all over the world in spite of an air bag. I truly advice everyone to buy really good shoes and walk down everywhere.

...are you still trying to convince others that smoke detectors would help you save your life? Your stories are indeed not impacting. NOT for people in Berlin hahah! As per your Stories, for me, a neighbor pounding on my door in the middle of the night is a MUST! By the way, thousands of people die in car accidents all over the world in spite of an air bag. I truly advice everyone to buy really good shoes and walk down everywhere.

yes smoke detectors DO save lives, ask any fireman (see above) or look on the internet. surely for Berlin too, it's not another planet...

and airbags will not save every person who is in a car crash there are other factors to consider.

but they certainly do save many. my other half was in a minor traffic accident some months ago, airbag stopped him being whooshed through the car windscreen he escaped without injury.

yes smoke detectors DO save lives, ask any fireman (see above) or look on the internet. surely for Berlin too, it's not another planet...

I suspect the Berlin that she's living in is on another planet :rolleyes:

In California, smoke detectors are required in every room [apart from the kitchen]. A carbon monoxide detector is now also required on every floor. I additionally have the smoke alarm tied to the house/ burglary alarm, so emergency services gets called if it were to sound. i.e. The Fire Dept. shows up even if I cannot call 911.

Are all Californians stupid, or just Indigogirl?

1991 was a bad year in the 'hood...

post-33917-13392711300183.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RJl_RkfI-w

My cat saved my life once in a fire. I had a fireplace in my bedroom, and thought the fire was out when I drifted off to sleep. Unfortunately, it sparked again (one of those self-starting logs) and for some reason the room filled with smoke. My cat at the time kept nudging me and meowing, which was unlike her, and even smacked my face with her paw at one point. I finally woke up to the room entirely filled with smoke. If she hadn't woke me, I'd be dead.

Turned out the flue was faulty and shut by itself. The fire alarm also didn't go off, don't know if it was broken or just a dead battery.

Thank god for my kitteh! (She was a beauty too, a gorgeous Maine Coon.)

haha, smoke detectors in the end only detect smoke, they don't save your life. Saving life also depends upon many other factors, like dying in a car accidents. So buying a smoke detector is not a guarantee for escaping the death. It is so simple to understand, unless one is paranoid! And for the record, we are in Europe, it is possible to live without all those alarm systems.

Many people are woken by smoke alarms, and survive domestic fires that would otherwise kill them. You can play word games, but by any normal definition they do save lives.

Really, there is nothing to argue about, if you care about the lives of yourself and the people you live with then you should have a smoke alarm.

Anything which can save your life helps, Indigogirl. Smoke detectors are an example. Driving carefully helps, too. Eating and drinking sensibly, too. You are probably young and haven´t suffered the loss of anyone close to you - but I may be wrong. No paranoia - just the way life is.

I shall be placing an order in the morning for some. Thank you for the reminder.

Is there any rule of thumbs about where best placed? Or how many by size or room number?

Our apartment is pretty compact but I do not want to rely on too less. They were always placed in apartments already in Oregon, only ever noticed when they went off or chirped for a new batterie.

if you are about the lives of yourself and the people you live with then you should have a smoke alarm.

I am not playing word games, but not having a smoke alarm means one is not about one's own and the life of the others living with them? As I say, people fall prey to maasive advertisement and panicking reports, the fact is smoke alarms just detect smoke, it may not always mean fire, and then saving life is an effort made through many other helping factors. Like if you don't hear the alarm in sleep, what is the use of it? In Germany, if it is really proven to be helpful, it will be on the list of rules and regulations, so I trust the TüV regulations. I am not getting any smoke alarm, it is waste of money, and I want to smoke on in the kitchen without having this thing randomly screaming.