Smoke detectors

117 posts in this topic

How do you people seriously use the words "Fire Brigade" and "Tea Cosies" with out breaking up? :lol:

So quaint, you're cute. All of you.

But on topic: I don't have any smoke detectors but were offered some from the landlord, which I didn't take him up on. I guess I just feel safe because my walls are really really thick, which wouldn't help if my oven were left on.

Back to joking: My uncle once took a trip to the UK and unfortunately it was his last. He was working on an ear wax removal system that involved a steel scouring pad and some cotton wool buds. It was too bad that he set it down next to some Welslydale and cauliflour on his coffee table. Of course, the fact that he was wearing heels and stockings didn't help either- and then this donkey knocked on his door...

@profundo, I think I downloaded that video, the poor sob went up the donkey's ass like a roman candle. :P

Can anyone advise me where to purchase smoke detectors in Berlin?

It seems there are in OBI, but the OBI stores are a bit far out, I'd prefer something more central?

Or is Aldi an option?

Thanks

They are easily available over the internet too, and usually a bit cheaper:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000K2ZUXK/

I think it is a very good idea to install smoke detectors Kron, and I am glad you are planning to do so.

They really are one of the most important things you can have!

Yep, there is no actual law saying you have to have one. You should get one though.

What is also important if you have gas, or a wood burning stove/open fireplace is a carbon monxide detector. It may just save your life.

No it is not a GOOD idea, it is essential!! Fit quality approved smoke (TUV - Kite Mark) detectors in the CORRECT areas, on all floors, test at least once a month with real smoke .. I will leave that to you to figure out yourselves, just BE CAREFUL .. never trust the test button. MOST IMPORTANTLY change the battery once a year regardless of how the battery tests, CHANGE IT!! 6 months even better. they are not expensive.

To go with all that, have some kind of escape plan, think it through, talk with your loved one's, what will you do suddenly a 02:47 when the alarm actuates, pick different scenarios, stairs blocked (if you have any) front door blocked, who goes where, who does what, etc etc. No matter where you are, what state or area you live in, or what the local rules are. Only one rule applies here. KEEP YOUR FAMILY SAFE!!

DO NOT underestimate smoke and fire .. it will kill you, and it will kill your loved one's .. sorry to be dramatic, but 32 years front line fire fighting in London and other big cities, makes one dramatic. Seen some terrible terrible tragedies .. all because of no early warning!!

Get them fitted NOW!!

And ditto to Anna66 post reference Carbon Monoxide alarms (just read it!).. BUT replace regularly .. the silent deadly killer Carbon Monoxide!!

Does anyone know of an easy way of attaching smoke detectors to the ceiling? I came across a report in a magazine years ago about a device for holding the smoke detector which could be attached to the ceiling so that you didn't have to drill holes, but have no idea if it's still available. (Would also be interested to know about smoke detectors that can be heard through earplugs, since earplugs are the only answer I have found to getting a halfway decent night's sleep.)

Have a couple of smoke alarms but haven't fitted them yet, as don't yet have a drill for making the holes in the ceiling. Maybe there are others who haven't got round to installing them because of the need for this costly piece of installation equipment that might not be used for any other purpose unless you're a DIY enthusiast.

Back on topic: how does a smoke alarm help me if I'm out of the house most of the time? If my kitchen decides to catch fire during the day, a little box on the ceiling going peep-peep-peep isn't going to stop the apartment from burning down. Probably safer to not leave your appliances plugged in through a cheap travel adaptor.

Sorry I know this post is 8 years old but that is Darwinism at its finest.

Yep, there is no actual law saying you have to have one. You should get one though.

What is also important if you have gas, or a wood burning stove/open fireplace is a carbon monxide detector. It may just save your life.

That is not true for all of Germany, it is law that belongs to the Länder, as all law regarding building code. You required by law to have them all buildings in Rhineland-Palatinate, and Schleswig-Holstein. This will all be the case in the coming years in Bremen, Saxony-Anhalt, NRW, Bavaria and Lower Saxony. In Saarland, Hamburg, Meck-Pom, and Thüringen, they are required in new and renouvated buildings, this will also be the case in Hesse in a couple of years time. More info for the different Länder (in German)

Zillo your post kind of scares me..

I asked my German bf about the lack of smoke detectors too when I first moved here, I'm a bit paranoid about stuff like that so I noticed right away and I was surprised not to see any. But I'm now thinking I should definitely get one, I came home from work the other week to find my flat full of smoke. Turns out my moron of a bf had put something in the microwave then put on his headphones and was so absorbed in his music that he forgot all about the microwave until the thing inside caught fire. Luckily he managed to put it out with a towel but I dread to think what could have happened if he'd fallen asleep since he sleeps like the dead. Burned a hole right through the microwave glass plate and everything.

Yeah, it took me like a year to notice we didn't have one in the apartment, and my German boyfriend also didn't seem to see what the big deal was, but we lived in the EG at the time so I didn't worry too much about just jumping out a window should something go wrong. Now that we live in the 2nd floor it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and get one.

we lived in the EG at the time so I didn't worry too much about just jumping out a window should something go wrong.

unless the smoke inhalation killed you first, which is how most people actually die in house fires

I was shocked to find that it doesn't seem to be standard in Germany. My German boyfriend hadn't even thought about them when we moved in. But they're essential - spending a few euros could save your life.

Does anyone know of an easy way of attaching smoke detectors to the ceiling? I came across a report in a magazine years ago about a device for holding the smoke detector which could be attached to the ceiling so that you didn't have to drill holes, but have no idea if it's still available.

It seems that amazon has circles that adhere to walls or ceilings designed especially for smoke detectors. There is adhesive on one side and a magnet on the other to which you can attach the smoke alarm.

we lived in the EG at the time so I didn't worry too much about just jumping out a window should something go wrong

Even those who live in an EG and have an easy escape route may want to consider getting smoke detectors--not only for their own safety, but also for that of their neighbors who may not be able to jump out a window if the fire or smoke spreads quickly.

I had the same conversation with my German bf when I moved here last year: "You mean, Germans regulate *everything*, but NOT essential things like smoke detectors and fire extinguishers?" He replied that since most buildings here are made of concrete, they don't burn down as much as buildings do in North America. Ummm...right...sure...great reasoning.... I went out an bought one (with integrated CO2 monitor, too) the next day.

I would say, one doesn't really need any smoke detectors, if one can run faster than this thing detects the smoke. I almost fainted while cooking curry, had suffered high BP and and ended up in chaos while calming two panicked little kids, just because the detector assumed fire in the kitchen and started with it's ear splitting squeaking. No way!

three children and their grandparents died not far from me in a house without smoke detectors. The fire happened while everyone was sleeping. At Christmas time. Luckily, the mother and her boyfriend were able to get out. I wonder if they have smoke detectors now.

I would say, one doesn't really need any smoke detectors, if one can run faster than this thing detects the smoke.

Maybe you are different to the rest of us here, but I cannot run when I am asleep!

As has already been pointed out, it is not likely that fire will actually kill you, but the smoke produced by all of those lovely things you have in your apartment being exposed to very high temperatures - your computer, in fact, would give off fumes toxic enough to kill you!

Whilst I can understand that you might not like the high-pitched tone of a smoke detector, I think that , especially with children in the house, you should get a couple installed - they might well save your life, or possibly even more importantly, those of your children!

BTW, the sooner you explain these things to children, the less likely they are to be frightened, but they need to know why there is a noise,a dn what to do if the alarm does go off - you could make this a fun exercise for the kids, and calm your own mind a bit by practising a few times,a nd taking the kids outside to a safe place where you can arrange to meet them if there ever is a real fire.