Information on German school backpacks

91 posts in this topic

But it sounds like from the other posts, that if a kid (especially a boy) carries a trolley pack, he is going to get the scheit beat out of him, yes? for being a "sissy". Well, at least his spine will be straight!

I can tell you on very good authority (ie daughter No 3) that a trolley is an absolute no. Her look of total horror when I suggested it when she was smaller and in Grundschule spoke absolute worlds.

So a nice LL Bean book pack from the American grandparents is out? Mine was a high school graduation gift that was thoroughly abused in college and still serves me well, 10 years after I got it.

American school kids, at least as of the 90's, are just as brand-whorey about backpacks - Jansport and Eastpak were favored at my Texas middle school and high school, with LL Bean being an acceptable option for the aspiring East Coast university student. But I won't get started on clothes. It was bad enough that I thought school uniforms would have made life more pleasant...

We don´t have lockers in Australia or NZ either, nor lockable desks. We did have desks which lifted up with a drawer underneath and you could leave things in your homeroom- at your own risk of course. I don´t remember it being such a big deal taking things to and from home (and needing the books for homework anyway)- yes, sometimes heavy, but you learnt to read your timetable and work out what you needed.

Edit: I went to HS a lonnnnng time ago...it is entirely possible there are lockers down under these days...

Edit: Primary school, it was nice to have a nice bag, in HS the bag had to be scruffy and beaten up, covered in "liquid paper/Tippex" writing preferably,- ACDC rulz, names of your boyfriends etc, always a sports bag.

This topic is a bit outdated now. I'm buying my first school backpack (schulranzen). Is the brand derdiedas acceptable? They're a bit cheaper than Scout and my son has already picked out the dino design.

We just shelled out 120 euros or so for a Scout.. It's insane to spend that much on a bag... In our case, the school just wanted something sturdier than the American backpacks our kids had. It wasn't really a demand in any case, but in Berlin at least, it seems like all the kids have Scouts..

A lot of the kids I see around Bonn seem to go for '4you' with a smattering of Dakine I dont see many scouts around.

I still use my Gebirgsjäger Rucksack (used army backpack) I had back in school.

This one in olive. You can get them at most Army stores.

Cheap, nearly indestructible, washable and capacious.

And "cool". Preferably with the marker writing and the bandnames Renia mentioned.

And as soon as the kids leave Grundschule a Scout is embarassing.

I'm referring to the bigass ones the elementary school kids have. On the websites I've seen, Scout is always pushed. 4you seems to be for the older kids?

The army one looks cool, but is it ok for the Grundschule?

I got mine when I was 8, but I was tall (they are maybe a little big for a small kid.). My classmates had scouts, but as far as I can remember they thought my backpack was kind of "grown up" and cool. My parents didn't want to buy a new backpack every other year. And that army backpack had the scruffy look that was always without competition because it didn't even try to compete with all the fancy brands. The cheapo brands got mocked, though.

But it's been a while.

Hello Gopher!

For Grundschule it needs to be the supersize kellogs box with padded shoulders job.

For us - kid 1 - Scout, horses - 'full' price in REAL (but clearly cheaper than the posh stationers) at least 60 euro (ouch!)

kid 2 - Ebay, new LEGO-lite Knights, 50 euro

kid 3 - local Sonderposten joint, Lego-lite Clickits, 45 euro

kid 4 - Ebay, second hand, but hey was the first owner careful, Dragon set of bags from McNeill Ergo-lite, again 45 euro

None of them has had a brand issue, the only one that switched bags was Clickits, who switched to her sister's old Scout horses after 2 years, but her class is a bit odd, and more than one kid had a fresh bag more than once (horror!).

Rather too much info, reading back. Sorry, wanted to show you that there are loads of options now, and going with his choice is probably the most important thing. Have briefly googled derdiedas - they look completely standard, which is what you need to avoid the kid being creamed, they have the all-important water bottle holder on the OUTSIDE of the bag (boy, are those books expensive) but unfortunately, a quick squizz on e-bay does not reveal a derdiedas dino bag in good nick for peanuts. Sorry. Just check his choice is light, won't you, otherwise he's dragging masses of unnecessary weight around...

Have fun - Schulanfang is great compared to the UK...

If your son is just starting school you might want to read up on Schultüte. It's a goodie bag kids get on their first day.

And if your son get's obnoxious comments on his choice of backpack, tell him to smile at his offender, rise an eyebrow and just say calmly "Wie bist du denn drauf?"

Thanks for tips Beuel. I'm surprised to hear how cheap your backpacks were. The ones we looked at run from 117-140. I checked online, ebay and in the shop. The shop was actually the cheapest.

Scouts were quite bit more. According to the tests, the derdiedas was the lightest weight, though.

Gopher - yes, we surprised ourselves with our bargains, but guess what I see on ebay with 4 days 21 hours to go....derdiedas dinos!! 20 euros and postage at the minute - you never know your luck (I was so pleased, I didn't carefully read the description, just leapt back here, so my advance apologies if it is totally trashed. Otherwise, 2nd hand good nick is fab - little kids love the whole recycling/environmentally sound thing, and don't yet scream - cheapskate!)

This topic is a bit outdated now. I'm buying my first school backpack (schulranzen). Is the brand derdiedas acceptable?

Yes, it would be fine.

I'm referring to the bigass ones the elementary school kids have. On the websites I've seen, Scout is always pushed. 4you seems to be for the older kids?

Where we live they usually get a 4You backpack starting in 5th grade with the older grades switching to a regular backpack or messenger bag since they don't have to carry as much stuff with them. In elementary school it's Scout, McNeill, Lego, derdiedas etc. - something sturdy but lightweight since they have to drag most of their books with them.

The army one looks cool, but is it ok for the Grundschule?

I personally would not have bought one like that for my kids.

Thought I'd ask the wider community for more thoughts on backpacks!

I am about to buy my 1st grader a backpack; he started school today. It is tricky since he will be in the states half the year and hopefully Seeheim-Juggenheim in Jan-June. In the states LLbean or LandsEnd are popular and rugged. But I have read about "Scout" bags in Germany and I'm wondering if he would be shunned for Lands End or if they might think "Oh that must be cool in the US"!?!?

What is popular for a 1st grade boy at the SISS? I am not worried about him fitting in here since he has a lot of friends, but if it is a real issue there then I might try to get something "like" a Scout for under 100Euro! I could get something for $20 here that would be fine, in fact he has a hand-me-down Star Wars one on right now and no one commented...

I find that more kids these days don't have Scout bags. The majority do but I don't think the kids really care who has one and who doesn't. My daughter has one but it is because of the desks in the German school that I thought the Scout works better. (They have many other "Scout like" bags out there that many kids use these days too) The desks here don't open and have storage like the desks had in the states. There is a little hook on the side of the desk to hang your backpack and the kids need to get their things in and out of the backpack throughout the day. For me I think the Scout type bags are easier to get into and keep somewhat organized.

MM,

At the SISS, they have cubbyholes where my son stores most of his items. He carries a messenger type/over one shoulder bag, but is in year 6.

There is a mix of what kids carry as they are International, so you will see all types. I am sure the kids would think a Star Wars one is cool, as most are into legos, etc.