Teaching English at Berlitz in Hamburg

53 posts in this topic

Grow a tough skin - and move forward. Try not to dwell on it. If that is how they treat their staff console yourself with the thought that it's really no loss to you. You're better off without them.

However, I'm still confused how they found me. I don't use my username, Gummibaerchen, anywhere else on the web. Perhaps they were just glancing around, I don't know, but either way, I'm still disappointed in Berlitz.

I'm just wondering if a sour-grapes type of person (I have no one in particular in mind) could have reported you to Berlitz and given them a link to your posts.

Anyway, you're free now and can start fresh.

Sorry that happened to you Gummi, I can only imagine how unfair that felt. To echo what someone else said, they probably did you a favor.

I know for a fact that they spy on teachers. There was once a secretary surfing the internet and looking up profiles for people on Xing and singles' sites - I made a sarcastic comment to her, jokingly, and she corrected me by saying she was asked to do it.

Gummi - that is some crazy story. Sorry that things turned out that way, but in all honesty that is probably better for you. I think they are pathetic for spying... I hope you manage to get some private lessons, and pull through it all without scum like them.

"Berlitz shits on its own and ripoff the clients".

Sounds like a title for "The Local". Choose on of the 250 other language schools on Hamburg/SH and consider Berlitz a bad experience.

I don't really understand this. Were you working freelance at Berlitz? I'm an English teacher in the Frankfurt area and being freelance means working for more than one school/company, in fact, it's vital. I've advised a lot of people getting into this business not to put all their eggs in one basket, if you lose one source of income, you need to have others to continue to be able to live.

You're probably better off out of it if that's the way they treat their trainers.

Hi Tap, yes, it was freelance work.

They don't allow their teachers to work for other companies or teach privately. Considering that they made around 35 billion in turnover last year (I heard), that's quite selfish of them. <_<

I know that this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I worked for Berlitz for two years in Hamburg (specifically, the Gansemarkt Center), and I can say that the majority of these posts are right on the money.

Knowing what I know now, I would never have signed on with Berlitz. The pay is not very much, and can be beaten by most language schools in Hamburg. Also, the lack of teaching support and disorganization makes teaching there very hard. All of the American and British trainers I taught with at the time eventually moved on to other schools due to the terrible way that Berlitz treats its freelance instructors.

Some of my nightmare stories:

- Being assigned to teach classes where the students were sold a course not based on Berlitz material, which I didn't know until I showed up to class and was informed so by the students.

- Not being allowed to make much-needed copies for students in order to "save money".

- Not being allowed to give students Berlitz materials (i.e. coursebooks and magazines) that they were entitled to have in order to "save money".

In short, Berlitz will, and does, exploit its freelance instructors. I think that most freelance instructors who have worked with Berlitz will agree with me on this point. If you are in a bind, and need a work visa and means of income quickly (in order to stay in the country), then employment with Berlitz may be a short term solution (as they really will take anyone that applies). Beyond that, I would never work for them. This isn't meant as vindictiveness, just helpful advice so that others don't repeat the same mistake I made. I've taught for other language schools in the Hamburg area, and they all treat instructors better than Berlitz.

Berlitz just emailed me asking me to send my cv, but after reading these posts i wont wate my time.

I woudnt spend 40 hours on an unpaid teaching course and i wouldnt work for 11€ an hour

In australia i am paid $110 per hour to teach, (65€)

Gez

Thanks for the information everyone

Jeez, female australian...you are paid 65 euros an hour to teach, erm, English????

Just thought I'd add my experience at Berlitz in the Frankfurt area. I'm going through training for Berlitz Eschborn at the Frankfurt office right now. Tedious, but interesting. I'm not being paid for it, and they don't even offer coffee/tea. Just water. Cheap shits.

I'll be a freelancer and get paid 13 an hour, and 15 if over 120 units in a month or something. I don't have any teaching certification so this is good as a first experience, as people have said. However, if you don't have a teaching credential, you will be required to take the Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Tests (3) and get the certificate within a year for a total cost of 150 euro for the tests. I'll update as things go along.

Kaffeemitmilch, how is your time with Berlitz going? They want me to commit to them for a year in Koblenz, but I've got too many doubts/gut feeling that it could end up being more stress than considering going back to England!!