Advice on life in Frankfurt an der Oder

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Brand new to TT, but have been reading the boards for a little while now. I wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with the town of Frankfurt (Oder) and/or the European University of Viadrina there. Reason I ask is that my wife will be applying, along with other German universities, to Viadrina to continue her university studies. So of course we'll fly down and visit in person if the time comes, but I was just looking for anyones general impression of the place. We'd likely only be there for 2 years maximum. She's applying to a few other schools as well, but in territories to the West I'm more familiar with, having lived in Germany in the 90's for a while. Though no doubt it's changed a lot since then. We both speak some German, not fluently, but enough to get by without the need for much English. Have a baby daughter too. So any info will be of interest and much appreciated.

We're taking an unrelated trip to the Alps in October for rest and relaxation, so looking forward to that.

We currently live in Tallinn, Estonia, but unfortunately that option isn't available (no Baltic countries are listed) to choose in the profile options so I left it blank.

Thanks,

Freakster

We currently live in Tallinn, Estonia, but unfortunately that option isn't available (no Baltic countries are listed) to choose in the profile options so I left it blank.

Editor Bob added Estonia for me, so thanks for that. :)

hi

i guess your post is a bit old. I teach at the viadrina but like most of the other teachers and students I commute from berlin. it is just an hour on the train. I know a few teachers live in FFO but sadly there isn't much of a student life there. it is a bit of a vicious circle I think. the students all have a semesterticket which lets them use the trains for free. so they all live in Berlin. Can't say I blame them!

I know this thread is probably too old to help the original poster, but someone else may be interested.

I'm going there on Erasmus from Aston Uni in Brum in autumn and Frankfurt/Oder wasn't as small as I thought it might be: certainly bigger than my Mum's hometown with trams and shopping centres, and a tower called the Oderturm. I talked to a girl (a student) from the uni and some of the students like in the Frankfurt area, and seem to like it probably cos they meet other students in the halls. And apparently another girl from Aston Uni is there this year and doesn't want to leave.

I only visited for a day from a hotel in Berlin so couldn't see everything. I'd imagine a lot of the students who like in Frankfurt still visit Berlin a lot cos it's free with there SemesterTicket and only takes an hour: a bit like students in Luton or Guildford regularly visiting London I guess.

You can also walk over a bridge into Sl/ubice (swoob-itsy), Poland--with no border controls since last year. Though its mainly tobacconists, hairdressers, bureaux de change and liquor stores by the border (and a big sign saying ALDI or LIDL 1 km). Hair cuts, cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper in Poland. There's also a cafe that seems to be full of Germans with a German & Polish menu. Despite things being cheaper in Slubice, there still seemed a fair number of shops (inc hairdressers) in Frankfurt: esp compared to some British town centres in recent months.

So in all it seemed liked it'd be OK to me, even though I'm more of a city than town person. Though I do like seeing nice countryside too, and there's lots of trees between Berlin & Frankfurt (Oder) on the (double-decker) train. The train station was bigger than I thought too: I though it'd only have two platforms but it has several, some shops, a Burger King and luggage lockers (which few places in Britain outside London have).

I've been to Frankfurt/Oder several times for various reasons. It looks like a pretty nice town. There is an excellent Thai and VietNamese restaurant on the street that runs parallel to the river. The steakhouse on the other side of the street is good too. That street also has a number of shops and a shopping center.

That's not too much information, but it all helps.

Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone else has more information since it's a bit old. I am applying to this university for the winter term and would like some more information :)

Hi, also see my previous post. I was there on an ERASMUS exchange Sep '09-Jul '10 & loved it. I was helped by another English friend from my uni being there, and met loads of people - a lot through her. Although not as many Germans as exchange students unfortunately, but I met a few, and a lot of Poles (both regular students & exchange). English is the lingua franca of exchange students, and it can be a bit hard getting even Germans to speak German to you (I think I may have spoken more German to Poles than Germans).

With your Semesterkarte you can pay €70 for a ticket covering pretty much all public transport in the states of Berlin & Brandenburg for a whole semester which is crazily cheap, ie it covers all Regional Trains inc. those to Berlin, all buses & trams in FFO (Frankfurt (Oder) ). Berlin is only an hour away by train, 2 an hour for most of the day, & without this ticket it'd cost €20 to visit for a day.

In KuWi (Cultural Sciences) at least there are often a lot of courses in English & a few in French. For someone used to centralised accommodation & uni bureaucracies the scattered uni offices & the Hausmeister (caretaker) in Wohnheims (uni halls/dorms) who are rarely there were annoying. At least I could speak German. The lecturers sually speak English, Hausmeisters usyally not.

The majority of the German students commute from Berlin, but as a foreigner I found living in student dorms in FFO much easier to arrange, & most of the people I knew lived in FFO. I doubt I'd've met many people at all if I'd lived in Berlin, since I'm really a clubbing/approaching strangers in bars kind of person. Compared to rents in England, it was very cheap. The en suite Logenstrasse flats in the town centre right next to 2 main uni buildings were €54 a week inc bills & Internet (compared to £70 a week with bills ~ €80) for the cheapest non-en suite student room in Birmingham this term), some of the other ones even less. August Bebel (AB), a 10' tram ride away were the dorms with most of the parties. When the trams stop, there are night buses, & on Fri-Sun there are very late/early last trains back from Berlin.

Słubice (or Slubice if that letter doesn't work, swoob-itse) in Poland is just over a bridge on the other side of the Oder. Because of Schengen there's no border control, and I got away with crossing the border dozens of times with my passport left in my flat without any random checks thankfully. (I am Caucasian & did have a provisional driving license & laminated photocopy of my passport on me: the police racially profile on the trains to Berlin & you often need a passport/EU national ID card for overnight stays at hotels/hostels). There's cheap restaurants/supermarkets in Slubice & they speak German over there mostly (& sometimes English), though learning thanks etc. in Polish helps. There's also a few Eurocity trains to Poznan (c 2h) & Warsaw (c 4.5h) from FFO.

PM if you have questions (I'll try to remember to check the forum).

I have never ventured out into eastern Germany. I am really hoping to explore Brandenburg this August. I assume that that the cost of living is alot better then it would be in Frankfurt am Main or Stuttgart. My question: is eastern Germany up to speed with western Germany? I watch Deutsche Welle regularly, and it just seems to portray E.Germany as lagging behind and alot poorer then what most are used to in the Western portion.

Hi Everyone,

Since this is a topic about life in F-Oder, I would also like to ask something. How is life for a foreigner in Frankfurt Oder in terms of racism? I heard a few stories that foreigners are targeted often in F-Oder by right wing extremists? Is this still the case until now? Please advice.

Foreign professional

i'm currently livin in Fra.O and studying in EUV

i'm student from indonesia

and i dont have a problem at all with this city

this city is relatively small and not too crowd

because most of people is a student

lookin fwd if anyone arrived at this city,

bram

I am an international law student from Africa, coming to EUV Frankfurt Order this Winter Semester. Please enlighten me on issues of racism, I once got an indication that eastern parts of Germany are not so good for foreigners. Also what are my chances of getting part time employment whilst studying? I thank you in advance!

I am an international law student from Africa, coming to EUV Frankfurt Order this Winter Semester. Please enlighten me on issues of racism, I once got an indication that eastern parts of Germany are not so good for foreigners. Also what are my chances of getting part time employment whilst studying? I thank you in advance!

48 minutes ago, Reign said:

Please enlighten me on issues of racism, I once got an indication that eastern parts of Germany are not so good for foreigners.

Although there is a part of the city that is not too great, the central part of the town where the university is located is fine. Do you have a room in residence?

Also what are my chances of getting part time employment whilst studying? 

How well do you speak German?

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Although there is a part of the city that is not too great, the central part of the town where the university is located is fine. Do you have a room in residence?

How well do you speak German?

I will be staying in one of the Student's residence. My German is not so good, i have a level A1 Certificate and my Masters programme is English taught. My plan is to study German language whilst doing my masters degree.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

58 minutes ago, Reign said:

I will be staying in one of the Student's residence.

Which one?

My German is not so good, i have a level A1 Certificate and my Masters programme is English taught. My plan is to study German language whilst doing my masters degree.

It will be very difficult for you to find a part-time in Frankfurt Oder. Make sure you bring sufficient funds with you.

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

Which one?

It will be very difficult for you to find a part-time in Frankfurt Oder. Make sure you bring sufficient funds with you.

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

Thank you very much for your advice. I will be staying in Logenstr 2. On employment i do have enough funds in the form of a blocked account but i need exposure to German life and culture. It is my belief that working will be one good way to learn more about Germany.

Frankfurt (Oder) and the East have caught up, even overtaken the West. Seems crazy to dwell in Berlin and spend 12+ hours a week travelling to Frankfurt, do people still do that?

On 11.9.2008, 17:05:21, Freakster said:

Editor Bob added Estonia for me, so thanks for that. :)

While he's at it he might add Cyprus as well.