Vodka shops in Munich

32 posts in this topic

I'm looking into buying a nice bottle of vodka to bring back home as a Christmas gift for a relative. Unfortunately, I'm not a vodka expert. I want to get him something that's good, not so easy to get in the US, and up to 40 Euro.

He usually drinks Grey Goose, Ketel One and has a fondness for Belvedere although I don't think he drinks it too often.

Do any of you vodka drinkers have any tips, i.e. WHAT to buy and at WHICH SHOPS to get it?

Yep. Duty free is the way to go. Cheaper than you can find anywhere in the city and their wide selection is tax free. I just saw their selection a few hours ago.

In a side by side taste test comparison in my kitchen, yours truly picked Smirnoff over Absolut.

Smooth taste, considerably less afterburn.

Take the Smirnoff challenge. ;)

No other vodka's participated in the poll.

The thing is, you can get Smirnoff quite easily in the US.

Did you happen to notice if the duty free carries Polish and/or Russian vodkas (rarer ones)?

Actually I only got to spend about one minute there because my flight was boarding and I couldn't purchase anything because they need 45 minutes before the flight to be able to bring your purchase to you on board. I was in Atlanta (btw) and was drawn to the pretty color of the Jim Beam bottles rather than making a mental inventory list- which would have served me better.

There is a duty free shop in Munich's Terminal 2 (I don't know about terminal 1) and I suppose their selection is pretty wide, but I have no idea what they carry.

If you don't want to risk it:

There is a store called Wein und Mehr on the corner of Amalienstr. and Turkenstr. in Schwabing that might carry a wider selection than Tengelmann or MiniMall.

Duty Free does carry lots of brands, though can't vouch for which ones. I'd go charodei (belarus) or svensk (sweden). If memory serves me they are both in cool/giftable bottles. Though nothing says merry christmas like a big plastic jug of the shine.

There's also a "european quality award" or something like that which might be useful in sorting out whats what.

Get the Polish vodka with the buffalo on it and the twig of grass on the inside. Great for shots!

Reporting in from Frankfurt international duty free. Selection not so vast as one would imagine. Two on the high end are Belvedere and Level (?) at just under 30 euros. The rest range from 11-20ish. Names you would recognize, Danzka, Absolut (multi-flavours natch), Finlandia, Stolichnaya, and Smirnoff to name a few. There were two-three russian or polish bottles...labels in cyrillic so couldn't tell you what they were but they looked tough enough.

Other bottles: brand whiskey and scotch seem to be at mid 20's - 30, many of them on "sale". Theres a beautiful bottle of grappa weighing in at 26.oo, also on sale. My favourite: the blue sapphire gift box which comes with a bottle of blue, natch, as well as his/her scented fragrance. I guess to cover your smelly ass stink up after hitting the bottle all night. :blink:

I am reliably informed that Chopin is the best Polish Vodka. Dunno where to get it though.

Otherwise what about that Zubrowka Bison Grass stuff? Has a blade of a kind of herb that Bison in Poland eat in it and a very distinct taste. you can make the polish national drink by mixing it with apple juice. you can get that in duty free here (picture of a buffalo on the bottle)

Zubrowka

I've heard the same about Chopin.

Maybe I can get it on e-bay, I haven't seen it around.

I guess in the worst case I'll pick up a bottle of Belvedere at the airport.

Thanks for the eyewitness report, jml.

Oof. It says the bottle was filled in 1995- I'm no expert, but I didn't know that vodka got better with age.

Is 50 Euro a realistic price? I have no clue.

Has anyone seen any Absolut raspberry vodka? Or any other raspberry vodka for that matter. If so, where?

As a woman who loves good vodka I can second that Chopin is absolutely the smoothest vodka I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in Munich yet, and believe me I've looked. It is pretty readily available in the US and costs about $40 a bottle. I'd say that the ebay price is a ripoff.

I did see Raspberry Absolut at duty free at the Munich Airport although I have to say there just isn't something right about red vodka! :D

I had the pleasure of a small flight delay in London this weekend and I checked out the duty free there. After sampling a few I finally chose Ciroc Vodka from France. It is the only vodka distilled from grapes and it is distilled 5 times.

post-16-1119416218.jpg

post-16-1119416223.jpg

Here is a nice description.

It only set me back 20 pounds and they say that it sells on the market for 90 USD, if you can find it. Definitely not in Tenglemann yet. I don't know if it is in the duty free shop in the munich airport, but keep an eye out for it. It is incredibly smooth and I will be saving it for nice occasions, (like the months of June and July for example) along with the very nice bottle of gin I got along with it.

-prof B)

Some feel that this particular spirit (Ciroc) is technically a brandy or eau de vie (distillate from fermented fruit) because it does not follow the customary procedure of achieving spirit neutrality before imparting flavor to the finished product.

But I would drink it either way if offered. It sounds nice.

I had Raspberry Smirnoff in Tallin a few years ago. It was great. And I was drinking Strawberry Smirnoff on the weekend, also tasty! ;)

Am currently on a Vanilla Absolute kick at the moment. Yummy!!!

All I will say about Absolut: they have great marketing. That's it.

Strangely enough, Ikea has an interesting vodka selection. Haven't tried any but that's because I like my Finlandia and you can get it many places.

The big question: has anyone found a good place to buy TEQUILA here? This crap with a plastic hat on the cap doesn't even qualify as agave spirits. I'm not even talking about Jose Cuervo, or Cuervo 1800. I want some Patron, Herradura, Don Julio... a high quality $40 a bottle reposado or anejo. Any hits?

-dave

I'm not certain, but you might want to check the "grocery" areas of Hertie or Karstadt in the city. I know they tend to have a higher line of wine, and I'm pretty sure hard liquor as well.