The first computer you ever used

95 posts in this topic

First computer I got my hands on was 83 and I had the pleasure of using a PET.

Ah the joys of watching a rainbow screen displaying "printing in progress" for 2 min(atleast) until it started printing on the pinprinter qwaaaaaaaaach,bzzzzzt,qwaaaaack line for line until low and behold after another 2min 1 page was finished(I miss the rainbows). And dont foget the "hardrive" which was a tape deck with real tapes... them wher tha dajs.

And Bill was at it already being an ass!

In an early PET Microsoft Basic, type the command WAIT 6502. The screen will fill with the text "MICROSOFT". This apparently was inserted by Bill Gates himself in order to assert Microsoft's copyright on PET BASIC after he had had an argument with Commodore founder Jack Tramiel. This does NOT work on PET 2001-8 system, it requires the newer version of BASIC available on the 'full-size keyboard' models.

post-25561-1219666374.jpg

post-25561-1219666755.jpg

It is pretty awful looking back at old computers. My current phone has 192 MB DDR SDRAM, 528 Mhz processor and a 480 x 640 display..

You could literally overdrive some programs ... especially games.

I was a kid, I knew it sped up games. I just didn't understand why you would ever have turbo off, was being too fast a problem anywhere? (Well it was once I got a new computer and used an emulator for old dos stuff, but it wasnt a problem with my 286 :)

It's pretty awful looking at this thread and realising how many old hackers there are on TT.

TI 99/4A! High speed cassette tape drive... buying machine language books so I can spend day and night keying in strings of numbers (machine language) only to find at the end that I goofed somewhere and the game wouldn't work. Ahhh, the fun memories. BBSing with my C64 (2nd computer) was the best of times.

post-16299-1219666690_thumb.jpg

It's pretty awful looking at this thread and realising how many old hackers there are on TT.

True. First computer I saw (without realising what the significance was) was Mercury in the Electrical Engineering building at Manchester University...

I also saw (but never used) Atlas. I saw it being chucked off the roof into a big skip 3 stories below (referred to as "decommissioning" in Wikipedia).

First computer I got my hands on was 83 and I had the pleasure of using a PET.

I was thinking how young some were (relatively speaking that is).

... was being too fast a problem anywhere?

Some games would run so fast they simply couldn't be played in "turbo" mode as they had been programmed expecting delays of a certain length.

True.

I was thinking how young some were (relatively speaking that is).

Well somebody at the Board of Education obviously thought computers might come into fashion and forked out some cash to have our school get some PET`s.

my first computer was a good old classic ZX81 with 1K memory. Really wanted one of those TRS-80's from Tandy with floppy drive and a decent keyboard.

An ICL 3900 or 2900 series mainframe, can't remember exactly.

Fortunately just after the days of punched cards, but still in a time when assigning comp-sync to a variable was considered wasteful.

The first one I ever used must have been in about 1978. No idea what it was, it was a remote machine that we could access from college and get it to do simple calculations. I couldn't see the point really. oops! :rolleyes:

my first computer was a good old classic ZX81 with 1K memory.

:lol:

our resident 'rich kid' brought in her ZX81 to show us all in assembly. our headmaster said something along the lines of in ten years every household will have a home computer. oh how we scoffed!

our first home computer was a Commodore 64 I think. we loaded up the games from casettes (Daley Thomson's Decathlon yay!) then we got an Amiga and had games on floppy disks!

I still remember typing in my first program into my ZX81 , which took ages, and then not being able to save it as I had no tape deck.

Shortly after I worked out how to make the program do things other than what it said it would do in the magazine and the rest is history...

Mine was an Amstrad CPC 464 (with a green monochrome monitor, though) that I got in the summer of 1983. After completing the prep class with honors (meaning learning to speak a new language fluently in one year), my father said he wanted to give me a present. I had my pick between a bicycle, a wind surf and a computer. My choice that day says a lot about my current physical shape.

On a related note, Wiki states that the CPC 464 was released in 1984. Interesting...

On a related note, Wiki states that the CPC 464 was released in 1984. Interesting...

who ever input that into wiki maybe mixed up line 220 and 230 or forgot to press RUN.

My first computer (well, it was a family computer) was something called a dragon. It looked like a tape cassette player which you hooked up to the TV. I remember playing something called Pueblo on it I think.. involving walking around a garden?! Twas many moons ago.

My first machine: the frankly brilliant Amiga 500. It was a great games machine back in those days, I must have had about 200-300 games (mostly pirated, obviously) for it - including Monkey Island 2 on all bloody 11 discs.

post-4723-1219671498_thumb.jpg