Telecommuting for a U.S. company from Germany

35 posts in this topic

So have you been to the Ausländerbehörde yet?

Yes, do let us know how it goes. Mega spannend...

Yes, and I got two different answers.

I'm not sure that "unmöglich" and "unwahrscheinlich" count as two different answers. But hey, it could've been "Nein!" and "Sind Sie bekloppt?"

Joking aside, I'd be curious to hear if this worked, for my own reasons.

I'm not sure that "unmöglich" and "unwahrscheinlich" count as two different answers. But hey, it could've been "Nein!" and "Sind Sie bekloppt?"

Joking aside, I'd be curious to hear if this worked, for my own reasons.

Oh, really? You've been  such a valuable contributor to this thread and so incredibly positive, uplifting and encouraging up to this time- I was certain you'd think it'd work.

/s

I'm curious too. I know someone in a similar situation.  

wha

Yes, and I got two different answers.

I'mma go out on a limb and guess that the answers were "yes" (from someone who didn't know what they were talking about) and "no" (from someone who did).

We're never gonna hear them. The answers are now lost in time, like tears in rain.

The answer is I haven't got a result yet because they are taking forever. The refugees are taking up all their time.

But if you are wrong, I would LOVE to hear you apologize for being such an a**hole. I will gladly eat crow if i'm wrong, because unlike you I have a conscious about giving incorrect information.

Well, that escalated quickly. 

Anyways, I have been telecommuting for over 10 years now. I can't answer the residency stuff, because i got it via my fiancé at the time (not german, but has unlimited life residency).  

But i can answer anything about the benefits, taxes, etc.  The complications in the beginning seems insurmountable, but once you get through them, its really worth it.  For the first few years I did it as a "freelancer" under the German system and an "employee" with the home company, then I switched to "employee" in my own tiny company under the germany system (i.e. under a business licence) and a "contract employee" with the home company (billing my home company each month).   As far as benefits go, there are pros and cons with both.     

The answer is I haven't got a result yet because they are taking forever. The refugees are taking up all their time.

But if you are wrong, I would LOVE to hear you apologize for being such an a**hole. I will gladly eat crow if i'm wrong, because unlike you I have a conscious about giving incorrect information.

Sure dude, blame it on the refugees.

Sure dude, blame it on the refugees.

That was a direct quote from the lady at the Auslanderbehord, Mr. Know-it-all