Military cemetery in Hannover

3 posts in this topic

My wife and I lost our son while we were serving in Germany in the 70s. He was four months old at the time and he was buried at the military cemetery in Hannover. We are coming over for the first time to visit his grave in September, and as we can only stay over night we were wondering if anyone can tell us how to get to the cemetery from the airport and where would be a good place to stay. We would be more than grateful for any help concerning this matter.

Kind Regards

Peter & Cindy Hayton

Ex R.E.M.E. 24190071 (A number you never forget)

Do you mean the one in Ahlem, west of Hannover? (That's the only one I've heard of.) Assuming that is the case:

I'm sure there are places to stay in Ahlem itself, but I'm not that familiar with that area. For any stay in Hannover, though, I'd suggest the Hotel Martens, which is in List.

http://www.hotel-martens.de/

The staff all speak English and are very friendly. Very inexpensive and good service.

To get to Ahlem from there using public transport, you would go to the nearby tube stop Lister Platz (a few streets from the Martens), take any tube to the main train station, go up to street level and take the Üstra streetcar line no. 10 to the Ahlem station. From there you walk about 500m down the road the streetcar followed to get to the Ahlem cemetery. All told the trip would take you 30-40 minutes or so. Here is a network map in English -- the no. 10 line is in green, with Ahlem in the west:

http://www.uestra.de/netzplaene0.html?&L=1

As for getting into Hannover from the airport, you can either take a taxi, use the shuttle bus or take the S-Bahn from the station. The S-Bahn station is unfortunately all the way at the extreme end of the airport, so it's a bit of a slog getting there. If you're traveling together, though, the taxi is probably just as much as the S-Bahn or shuttle would be.

Hope that helps, and hope you have a good visit!

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Hello,

I can put you up for the night and take you to and from the cemetery if you like.I live in Garbsen just outside Hannover ( I am ex-squaddie) I can pick you up and bring you to the airport.Just let me know if you are interested and what dates you are coming over.My telephone number is Germany 5137991811.