English-speaking people in Wuppertal

107 posts in this topic

Hello

my name is Timothy. I just came across this website and i like the idea behind this. I had not thought of finding Native speakers to meet just by checking the internet. I live in Wuppertal and would be very happy to meet up with some english speaking people. I am 25 years old/young. Thats up to you to decide on.

Is anyone of you interested in meeting up for a drink at the weekends?

looking forward to any responses.

Hi Timothy, I am Brandon. I am having a party on Saturday next weekend in Duesseldorf. Dues is your best bet for anything fun (at least that is what I have learned). The train I take to get to Dues goes through Wuppertal, so if you want to come let me know and you can join. Take care

Hy Brandon. Thx for the invitation. That sounds good i would like to come. Where are you having the party? Dues is a nice place to go out. Let me know which train exactly you are going to be on.

Looks like the last post here was exactly 2 years ago, so maybe it's a good time to refresh it. My husband and I are currently living in Wuppertal while he works on a post-doc at the University here. Unfortunately, we moved here before I found Toytown, otherwise I would have seen the posts detailing the reasons not to live in Wuppertal. We go to Dusseldorf fairly often, but I thought it might be nice to see if there is anyone else in this little, tiny town who would like to meetup for lunch/dinner/billiards in Wuppertal. We are both on the verge of our 30s and are up for doing just about anything.

Looking forward to any responses!

Cari

Hi Cari,

So I´m about 5 months late in response to your post! I live in Grevenbroich with my fiancee. I too am from sunny california! Sunny Orange County!

If you are still in Germany, we should do dinner, maybe Tapas or Fondue!

Cheers,

Annie

Hey guys,

firstly, don't worry, it took me well over a year to realise Wuppertal is not so bad really. There is plenty to do once you find things, and as a basis for visiting other cities, of which there are so many around, it'S pretty good.

And secondly, yes a meet-up would be good. Unfortunately the Londoner English pub is no longer here, that would have been a good place to meet.

Hopefully some more people will read this thread though, it seems to have been a llittle too irregularly updated.

Hi, I'm not an English native speaker, but I've lived for three years in Australia and New Zealand. Now in Wuppertal I miss speaking English and would like to meet some other English speaking people so I won't forget everything I've learnt.

Well I live in Wuppi too so if anyone want to hook up for a movie night or BBQ with some NZers then let me know.

Hey Autob,

it would be great to meet. From where in NZ are you from? I lived in Christchurch 2008/2009

I just moved to Wuppertal from California and would like to meet other English speakers. If anyone is interested in grabbing coffee, etc - just let me know!

Also, if anyone knows any fun places to go or see on the weekends, suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hi wales! My husband and me would love to meet and speak English again! I am both German and Canadian and was brought up bilingual. We lived in Canada for a year and we speak English with my mom a lot, but she lives in Bavaria. so most of the time we just speak German...

what are you doing here? where in California do you come from?

Hey all, I just arrived in Wuppertal from New York! I'm living with my girlfriend, and in about a month I'm starting a job in Düsseldorf. Any advice for settling in here?

Scott

Scawtt, remember that Düsseldorf isn't far away, there are far fewer expats in Wuppertal but keep an eye on what is going on in Düsseldorf and you will have a new network in no-time :-)

Scawtt, remember that Düsseldorf isn't far away, there are far fewer expats in Wuppertal but keep an eye on what is going on in Düsseldorf and you will have a new network in no-time :-)

I also have lots of friends in Essen, the best thing about this area is that so many big cities are really close together, with good transport networks.

I must say though, the Anglophone presence in Wuppertal in larger than people think. I used to work in an English pub (sadly now closed) and we had far more English speakers than I expected.

If you (or anyone else) fancy meeting up for coffee sometime, let me know.

Good to know! I just found out I start my job in 2-4 weeks so when I do, I will absolutely be looking at the Düsseldorf network!

I would absolutely be open to grab some coffee! My girlfriends going to be doing a lot of studying this weekend, and I'd love to meet up and pick your brain about the area, how long have you been here?

Hey all.. I have just arrived in Wuppertal (from uk but been traveling australia for two years) to live with my gf... it would be great to meet up for coffee or drinks, just let me know :-)

Hi all,

We all do this "we should meet up for a drink sometime" thing, but noone seems committed to being the first to set a date. So I'd like to bite the bullet. How about this Sunday (23 October)? We could meet somewhere central, maybe Café Extra Blatt? I thought about somewhere fitting, like the Irish pub Domhan, but it seems they have some sort of special ticket-only event on this Sunday. If anyone has any other ideas, that's OK. If I have an idea how many people there'll be I can book a table.

Michelle

I'm absolutely down for that. I know where Extra Blatt is, and it's easy to get to from my apartment! Me and hoggy(Stephen) from above met up once and actually ends up we work for the same language school haha

what time on Sunday would work for you Michelle?

Wow, more people... that speaks english :) that is so good! I am mexican, living for the moment here in Wupp. with my BF and I thought the expat community here was non existant!! I will try to go to the Extra Blatt if the meeting is still on and I can join, if not, do you think more gatherings will happen? It would be nice to hang out with some new people for a change :)

Mitzi