Gay-friendly districts in Cologne

18 posts in this topic

Hello. I am new to Toytown. My partner (she is German), myself (I am African American) and our little boy (Bi-racial) recently moved back to Germany from California. We are considering moving to/near Cologne. Are there any areas we should stay away from? Which areas are safe and family friendly? She is scoping out a job that would have her working between two offices, one in Cologne and the other in Meerssen, Netherlands. Any suggestionswould be great!

well "gay ville" right in town is obviously gay friendly but it aint a good place to live with a kid!

holweide??? why is that?:-)

ehrenfeld, nippes, südstadt, innenstadt/altstadt i would say -

but köln is the gay friendliest city in germany anyway!

Everywhere in Cologne is gay-friendly - with the possible exception of the Turkish/Kurdish etc parts of town...

Hi Backagain!

I'm also American and my partner is German. Unfortunately, we moved directly to Essen from Seattle, WA in 2007 (he's a doctor at a hospital here) and we hate it beyond words. So we're thinking of moving to Cologne too. We go to either Cologne or Ddorf every weekend already, so we know the neighborhoods pretty well. If you can afford it, the Belgian Quarter is the best part of the city. It's elegant, but not stuffy like Lindenthal or Marienburg. It has an amazing selection of local and international eateries and shops, and is in close proximity to the Aachener Weiher and other green areas. I see students, singles, families with kids (gay and straight). Everything in the BQ seems very harmonious. Would highly recommend it. Otherwise, the Agnes Viertel, Sülz, Südstadt (near Römerpark) and Klettenberg are also beautiful, green and with very friendly residents. All of Cologne (with the exception of the exurbs like anything farther than Ehrenfeld) is very liberal and friendly to all family types.

Hi Jason. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately our move has been postponed until sometime next year. I will save the info for when I start searching again. :D

The immediate area around the heumarket pubs probably isn#t the best for children.

My ex boyfie use to live on the 7/9 tramline out towards Sülz.

Was cool and friendly and big park IIRC.

Hi, is there any update on this topic? My wife and I are thinking about moving to Germany next year and we are looking for a great place/city to start a family. We are thinking about Berlin or Köln. For now, Köln is at the first place because we like smaller town. So, we were wondering is Köln accepting towards the lgbtqia family?

5 minutes ago, trespollos said:

So, we were wondering is Köln accepting towards the lgbtqia family?

It‘s actually lgbtqia2s+ incl. two-spirit. Please do keep up.

Cologne is still very gay friendly as far as I can tell (I'm not gay but live in Cologne). They have a big Christopher Street Day parade weekend and normally (not too sure about this year) have a gay Xmas market as well that both straight and gay people visit.

Köln isn't that small. It's surrounded by other cities and is neighbor to the Ruhrpott. It's a massive urban area. Berlin on the other hand is surrounded mainly by rural areas. 

On 24/10/2021, 22:00:49, trespollos said:

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Germany next year and we are looking for a great place/city to start a family. We are thinking about Berlin or Köln. For now, Köln is at the first place because we like smaller town. So, we were wondering is Köln accepting towards the lgbtqia family?

I live in Berlin and would recommend Köln. 

It has become increasingly difficult to find housing in the hip tolerant areas of Berlin and what is available is overpriced. Furthermore, on average the public  schools in Berlin are not very good and the few good schools are massively oversubscribed.

Koeln is by no means a small town, it is a large city! Even Bonn, a Small Town in Germany, has more than 300 000 inhabitants.

Cologne isn't small in the number of inhabitants (just over a million) but it is quite small in terms of area. You can get from one side to the other within 30 minutes or so by public transport and that isn't the case with Berlin, which is really two cities in one.

I lived in Berlin at the end of the 90's and it's a great city but will have changed a lot since then. Personally I like the size of Cologne. It's big enough that there is always something going on (outside of covid) - concerts, fests, etc. but small enough that you can live slightly outside the centre where it's quieter and it only takes 15 mins to get into the centre.

You have the Eifel just down the road for getting out into the country and although Cologne has its' own airport you have FRA just under an hour away by train where you can fly to pretty much anywhere in the world when travel gets back to normal.

Thank you all for answering! We have visited Berlin for two weeks and it is a great city! So big and noisy. What we like the most was: different cultures, religions, races... We really loved it. Next to visit is Köln but after winter so we can enjoy more freedom. Now is very stressful because covid and we would really like to see Köln in its full glory.

Regarding the gay scene, like pretty much everywhere in the western world, homophobia is on the increase.

Cologne is probably the most renowned gay-friendly city in Germany, and even there attacks are sadly on the increase. Pre-covid, the local lgbt groups complained police weren't doing enough to keep the areas safe during the evenings. Just one example https://www.maenner.media/gesellschaft/community/antischwuler-angriff-im-bermudadreieck/

The chic inner city areas, sadly, are often now pretty much reserved for the high earning A-gays (Friesenviertel, nicer parts Rudolfplatz etc.)

(Actually, most of that housing stock has long since been snapped up by money grabbing Airbnb bastardos). Grrrr.

The areas around Hansaring towards but not too close to the Dom (not far from major banks and insurance offices) are quite nice.

You will be spending top dollar in most of those places, though.

Away from the city, Zollstock is a really nice leafy general area. 

Almost all of the areas immediately surrounding the uni-kliniken are quite quaint.

Ebertplatz, Nippes, Kalk and Ehrenfeld are a bit run-down in my view. All safe - just a bit depressing / concrete jungle-ish. This is where apartments regularly become available (I wonder why...)

What I've generally observed in Germany, is that if you look for a flat not too far from (but not directly in view of)

- hospital.

- cemetery.

- old church building.

- old city gates (Tor), ruins or monument.

You will be in a fairly decent area that's reachable and affordable.