Residents' parking permits for Frankfurt

12 posts in this topic

I've found an apartment in Nordend and will be moving in shortly. There's a street sign about parking outside, describing that I'm in zone 19 and will require a resident's parking permit during the week (Wohnerparkausweis, I think?)

A friendly passerby explained I can get these on the Internet but with my fledging German, I can't find a website or any information on this. Can you help?

Also, what happens if I have guests - can I buy an extra one, valid for a couple of days?

TIA

The "Anwohner-Parkausweis" or "Bewohner-Parkausweis" can be get at the "Bürgeramt" on Zeil or via email at bewohnerparken@stadt-frankfurt.de. The webpage of Frankfurt states that you can write in English. In case you've get any trouble with them, use this email address: buergerberatung@stadt-frankfurt.de

They say via email it may take up to 4 weeks before you get it and the fee has to be paid to Postbankkonto des Ordnungsamtes, Konto-Nr. 267000-603, BLZ 500 100 60. The fee is 50 EURO for 2 years that have to be . I'm sorry, there is no way getting a short or interim one (I've tried that too - no luck!) and no way to get one for visitors (because this restriction is to save parking space for the residents only). However,t he law says that the city has to provide "enough space for non-residents to park" - whatever that means! Usually one side of the street is "Anwohnerparken", one side isn't.

If you drive a company car, you've got to provide a confirmation from the company that you can use the car off-work. BTW - you'll just get such a permit if you have your main residence there - if you keep your main residence in your home country (which you may for tax reasons) you won't get a permit.

This is the most stupid rule about parking there ever was - people even went to court to avoid it - no such luck! It's too good money for the city...

Hope this helps,

Claudia

also, you asked on another topic about if you need to register here. You do, not just as a foreignor, everyone needs to. And you need proof of the registration here to apply for the residents parking permit.

Oh - and from October on you'll also need an environmental badge for your car if you live and/or drive in the city of Frankfurt. Fortunately that one costs only 5 Euro. For more information:

http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/tour...ntal_badge.html

Fee for driving within the low emission zone without badge will be 40 EUR (and 1 point in Flensburg if you have a German driving license).

Sigh... what comes next?? ;-)

Jolly good, jolly good. So - the web sites are of course as clear as mud - so what do I, with my UK registered car, need to do to get one of these stickers?! Presumably one doesn't just walk into the office and say "Good day, my man, here is my €5: please furnish me with one of those fine red stickers"?! There must be at least some level of adminstrative maze I need to negotiate?

Any and all suggestions / pointers / advice gratefully received.

K

You can get one from any of the official TüV or DEKRA sites and the vehicles are allocated Red, Green or Yellow stickers according to the emissions information in your Zulassung Part I. Since you probably don't have one of those you should still be able to get one from your friendly local TüV/DEKRA approved dealers or workshops...you might need the type approval certificate (or whatever it's called) that you may have received when you bought the car.

This is the most stupid rule about parking there ever was - people even went to court to avoid it - no such luck! It's too good money for the city...

I agree. The most stupid thing is though it hasn't helped the parking situation at all since it has been introduced and places like Nordend are still a nightmare for finding a space. So don't be fooled into thinking that paying for the permit will guarantee you a space as there still isn't enough for the permit holders. There is absolutely nothing that can be done about this though as the area is so densely populated. I would really think twice about using my car if I lived in Nordend.

Does parking in Frankfurt is free? i understand some places are only Anwohnerparken , which i guess means for residents, but what about other payments? (other than emission sticker), can i park anywhere if i have this Anwohner-Parkausweis, that is not paid parking? (of course by anywhere i mean parking places)

in country where i'm from, if i want to park near center of the city, i have to first park my car, then go to special machine and pay like 1 EUR for 1 hour, then it will print me a piece of paper, and i put this piece in some visible place, so local guards that are patroling the streets can see it.

is there something like that in frankfurt or is parking space 'free' ?

also, does having RED sticker, means i cannot enter low emission zone?

also, this Anwohner-Parkausweis is only for specific zone where i'm living, it's not for the whole city?

Ok the sticker thing is bullshit and just another way for them to make money off people who own cars. But anyways costs 5 euros and you just take your fahrzuegschein to TUV, DEKRA, or a repair shop(not all are able to do the stickers) Anyways, Red means after 2010 you will no longer be allowed to drive your vehicle into a Umwelt zone, Yellow means after 2012 you can't drive your car into an Umwelt zone, and green means your good to go regardless. But get this a 5 year old car running on diesel will usually get red or yellow, but you could have a muscle car from the 60's running a big block v8 using benzin and that gets a green sticker meaning low emissions vehicle, go figure. If you drive a benzin car your pretty much guaranteed green, but diesel is where it becomes a possibility of red, yellow or green. If your diesel has a rust particle filter than you will get yellow or green, but without one your most likely to get red.

"Anwohnerparkausweise" (resident parking) are numbered and only valid in the area around your place of living that is signed with that same number. So you wouldn't be allowed to park with your Anwohnerparkausweis in another part of the city where is Anwohnerparken. As PurpleMuffin said - it is supposed to "reserve" the parking space for the residents, but it doesn't work at all!

Anyway - some areas have the same system you described - you park, pay a certain amount and get one of these little white papers you have to put in the front window. Other areas are free for parking and in some areas you're just allowed to park max. 2 hours and you have to put a "Parkscheibe" - these ususally blue things where you set the your arrival time and place them in the front window. You are allowed to set the time to the next quarterly hour, but you should not set the arrival time an hour later or so... that's gonna be treated as if your time has run out.

When you wanna park in the city, you've got to look for the signs to see which parking rules apply...

On 12/08/2008, 07:47:26, miwild said:

Bewohnerparkausweis Frankfurt ...

This worked great. In my case I had to extend the permit and it took 3 min. I just need to print it and done. 
Thanks