Pet shops and vets in Frankfurt

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Ok so I have been in Frankfurt for 2 weeks now, and my pooch arrived not long after I did.

I need to take her to the vet for a rabies test, can anyone recommend an english speaking vet? I have also been hunting around on the net for pet shops just for little things like toys and crap but couldn't find that either.

Any assistance would be muchly appreciated :-)

Thanks!

well...there are plenty of pet shops in Frankfurt, mainly hiding under the name Zoohandlung...there's a good big one in the Nordwest zentrum if that's near you, otherwise check the Yellow Pages Pet Shops in Frankfurt including helpful maps

As for vets (Tierarzt), Yellow Pages comes up with this list and checking the website for the very first entry, Maike Höch, shows the message " ALL VETERINARIANS WORKING IN THIS PRACTICE DO SPEAK ENGLISH! "

(I realise that is not an actual recommendation but that's cos I don't have any pets...)

There are fressnapf shops all over, they sell all the usual food, snacks, toys and they are usually cheaper than buying food in the supermarkets, plus they have offers if you are buying in bulk. www.zooplus.de is also an online pet shop.

I agree that most vets speak English, we live out in a small village and even our vet talks to us in English.

Can anyone recommend an English-speaking vet in the Frankfurt area? Our poor kitty is acting not well and we need to have her checked out.

Topics merged by admin

Can anyone please tell me the contact details of any pet shop in Frankfurt which sells REPTILES?

Many thanks

For thiose with sick pets, I'd strongly recommend the Kleintier Klinik in Bockenheim. They have a separate cat clinic upstairs. They are excellent, speak English and are reasonably priced.

Kleintier Klinik

Juliusstrasse 12

60487 Frankfurt

069/97074955

They're open from

Mon-Fri 0900 - 1200 & 1600-1900

Sat 1000-1200

They also have an emergency service and make house calls.

As for pet stores, Fressnapf in Enkheim or Kolle in Griesheim.

I agree with schliesser regarding the vet. It has taken us a long time to find a vet for our dog that we are happy with. We now go to the Kleintier Klinik and like it very much.

Well, if it has to be fast I recommend the vet in hausen (forgot his name). If its just a check up or for vaccination look at a vet outside of frankfurt. They are usually better since they are not that busy and they are a lot cheaper.

Well we've used the following vet in the past and loved her. I do hope she is still in practice as last I talked with her she was thinking of moving - hope her information is still current as she is top notch and very caring with the animals!

Dr. med. vet. Kristin F. Pfahler

(Native English Speaking Veterinarian)

Am Wacholderberg 21

61462 Königstein

Phone: (06173) 4257

She even did house calls by appointment!!

Her office hours when I used her was Monday-Thursday and Saturday 10 am - Noon

Monday and Thursday 4 pm - 6 pm and also by appointment (in the off chance you cannot go during these timeframes)

Good luck!

One thing I would also recommend is to get a liability for ur dog. That is not covered in the regular liability insurance. If u have any questions regarding a dog liability insurance let me know. I would be more than happy to help u out on this.

I would like to buy a kitten in the following weeks. Is anyone able to recommend a pet shop or animal shelter that sell kittens?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Petal!

I got both of my kitties from ebay classifieds! They are both European shorthair, but they will also have special breeds like Persians, Siamese etc - but they are generally more expensive.

Have a look here Kittens!!

Pet shops in Germany don't sell kittens or puppies. But you can also try the animal shelter or the cat shelter. They will come to your house to check your apartment to see if it is a good place for a cat. Also, the cat ladies at the cat shelter will not give you a single cat. Their cats usually only come in pairs, unless the cat you chose really loathes other cats.

Good luck!

We love, love LOVE the new vets we were referred to - a mother daughter team in Eschborn, the daughter's English is fantastic and she emails which is nice ... small clinic and really personable. I have an epileptic dog and they've been brilliant with her.

Frau Dr Verena Kunz & daughter Frau Dr Catherina Kunz

Rosengasse 14

65760 ESCHBORN, HESSEN

Telefon: (06196) 43531

catharina@kunzonline.net

A little information for anyone looking for 'Grain-Free' cat food and other pet necessities here in Frankfurt.

Grain-free exists but you won't find the US brands such as Wellness, Weruva and shops often stock a very limited supply even if they do have grain-free foods.

The words to look out for are 'GETREIDE FREI' this indicates the food is grain free and the main brands are: BOZITA, FERINGA, GRAU, TERRA FELIS, SMILLA, and CARNY by Animonda. (Animonda have a number of food ranges, not all are grain-free so you will need to check the ingredients)

Where to buy:

Fressnapf - a pet supply supermarket had an fair range of 'getreide-free' brands in store.

ZooMai - on Stiftstraße in Frankfurt, had a limited supply too.

www.Zooplus.de This on-line pet supermarket offers the best choice (once you're set up with an EC or credit card). They stock the largest range of getreide free cat food and the delivery is very fast, 2-3 days!

My cats particularly like the Bozita food. Don't be put off by the tetra packs, I find them easier to use and dispose of than tins.

If you are looking for flushable cat litter, there are various brands made from organic material, e.g litter made from wood or corn.

CATS BEST seems to be the most popular brand in Germany, there is also GOLDEN PINE and PORTA PINE. The on-line supermarket, Zooplus, also stocks WORLD'S BEST cat litter but it is very pricey here in Germany.

I can highly recommend the following vet in Sachsenhausen.

Ralf Kind

Holbeinstr. 76

60596 Frankfurt am Main

Telefon Nr - (069) 636688

I took my cats there, but he treats all house pets.

I don't agree with vaccinating pets annually unless it is 100% necessary and he understood and agreed with my request. He seemed to have a good affinity with cats and was very calm and gentle in handling them. He offers homeopathic medicine for pets too.

Overall, the cost was extremely reasonable and his English is good!